An intreguing letter from my UK pension provider.

I thought of putting this in Jokes / Puzzles.

Over the weekend I received a letter from my UK pension provider, paraphrased below, with my comments (in brackets):-

Dear Crossy (good start)

We are performing our annual address check (ok)

If this address is correct you need do nothing and we will update our records (do nothing if I received the letter)

If this is not your address (if I didn't receive the letter)

Please call this number (Huh!)

Regards etc etc

I had to read it several times to make sure I was understanding correctly that I need to call them if I did not get the letter.

My brain is still hurting.

I thought more about this on the way home from work.

If they have my address wrong and I don't call them, they will update to the wrong address.

In fact, why did they bother sending me a letter, just update anyway.

Well I recently contacted one of my providers to advise them of a change of address.   After a countless wasting of phone calls I was advised that because I am in Thailand they would need this that and the other to confirm my address change so that they had acceptable documentation which would allow them to update their records.

Eventually I spoke to someone with half a brain in the UK and when I explained that I was only changing from one address in Thailand ( where they have been sending me documentation since 2006) to another address in Thailand their was a pregnant pause and I was referred to a supervisor.  To be fair she did apologise for her staff and advised no further documents was actually needed as I was already in Thailand. She did add that some of her staff were new and hence the issue.  Well it must have been a big issue as I spoke to 5 different people before her and they were all an apparent bunch of numb nuts.

So I am not least surprised for you to receive such a stupid letter. 

Edited by gummy
2 hours ago, gummy said:

Well I recently contacted one of my providers to advise them of a change of address.   After a countless wasting of phone calls I was advised that because I am in Thailand they would need this that and the other to confirm my address change so that they had acceptable documentation which would allow them to update their records.

Eventually I spoke to someone with half a brain in the UK and when I explained that I was only changing from one address in Thailand ( where they have been sending me documentation since 2006) to another address in Thailand their was a pregnant pause and I was referred to a supervisor.  To be fair she did apologise for her staff and advised no further documents was actually needed as I was already in Thailand. She did add that some of her staff were new and hence the issue.  Well it must have been a big issue as I spoke to 5 different people before her and they were all an apparent bunch of numb nuts.

So I am not least surprised for you to receive such a stupid letter. 

You really don't expect call centre staff are very much introduced in the matters, do you?

Not just the UK, I received a letter from my German bank wanting an Ansaessigkeitsbestaetigung by the 26th at the latest, it was already the 23rd, it is basically a confirmation of address but since they know my address and sent this letter there I was a little perplexed. I sent them an E-mail asking what documents they wanted. All my alarm bells started ringing when they wrote in civil service jargon (worse than British civil service language) and mentioned the German tax office. I joined a German forum in Thailand especially to ask about this. The German guys were helpful and told me to go to the Thai tax office who would confirm that I don't work in Thailand and that my Thai address was correct (take your yellow book). I don't work in Thailand so I don't have a tax number which meant the Thai tax office told me to go away, not interested (round trip of 100km for nothing). I rang up the German embassy but although sympathetic they had no idea what to do. Eventually I spoke with a German expat who suggested I ring the bank up and ask them what it's all about. I did this and a nice lady told me that since I was registered in Germany and Thailand that the German tax office has asked them...

''One moment, I am no longer registered in Germany, I gave notice of departure at the town hall when I left''

''Oh in that case ignore the letter''

Three sleepless nights for nothing.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

I thought more about this on the way home from work.

If they have my address wrong and I don't call them, they will update to the wrong address.

In fact, why did they bother sending me a letter, just update anyway.

The letter is anticipating that you may have moved address without them receiving notification, and that if you have been forwarded the letter from your old address please could you let them know your new one.

To reassure myself I'm not being a total idiot here, this is the letter (suitably redacted of course).

Am I missing something here?

img001(redacted).jpg

Much of my professional life is spent studying how systems fail and (particularly enjoyable) causing them to fail. So much engineering today is designed to "work" (meet the functional requirements) and when something goes awry does not necessarily fail gracefully (software is particularly guilty in this aspect).

Typical scenario, "OK this system works as intended, what happens if I press two buttons?". "You're not supposed to press two buttons". "I know, but what happens if I do? (presses two buttons and wins the jackpot)". "Ah!".

The letter in question works for a specific set of events:-

• I have not moved OR I have moved and had my mail forwarded => Result I do not call OR I call to correct the address.

BUT

• If I have moved and not forwarded, or the mail has become lost, or they just have my address wrong => Result I do not call.

Anyone spot the fatal flaw here? :smile:

13 hours ago, OJAS said:

Ample evidence on this thread, I think, that TIT is not an exclusively Thai preserve - with TIUK and TIG being mentioned as offshoots so far!:laugh:

Add to that, the French. Many of my dealings with them have been mind boggling. So, TIF can be added.

My pension provider sent out a letter a couple of years ago. They sent it to be signed for by the addressee. I use a mail forwarding company so the letter could not be signed for and was returned, first I knew was when they stopped my pension. 

I phoned them up and the guy explained what had happened and I explained why it would have been returned. He said its ok now you have phoned we know that you are still alive and said they would phone in future.

Never did see the letter.