4-year Professional Visas Get Green Light

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It seems that on my last entry they are not bothering to look for consecutive 30 day stamps as I was in with no issues whatsoever. Seems like the 'crackdown' has blown over. Coincided with the massive queues at immigration as well... Make of that what you will.

What concerns me is the seeming randomness of it.  One week, you're okay with X and Y and the next week, they want Z.  This year, my WP wasn't renewed (another change for the tighter) so I'm commuting around the area while winding down all the crap I collected over 6 years to a point where I can decide whether to stay or not.  

Happened suddenly, so I'm now seasoning some money for a retirement visa in case some e-commerce things come through (I'd be a non-working source of import inventory and funding)  I have this vision of showing up at BKK and they tell me I've already spent too much time in the country this year to come in on a TV or visa exempt.  Which may be true since I spent over 180 days on the WP this year.  Complicated by the extension of my company health insurance which basically requires me to be treated in Thailand except in an emergency.  The joys of cross border living...

2 hours ago, Lunchbob said:

I know 1 fellow who got a resident visa and only 1. He married into a very rich family. He speaks 0 Thai.

You mean permanent residency, do you? How long was that ago? Basic Thai language requirement has been in place for ages.

8 hours ago, DekDaeng said:

"was responsible for operating what was the largest Power Generating Plant in Western Europe ...now it's dust"

maybe teach em about maintenance?  555!

I think I may be a jinx so definitely  won't be wanted here … I went there while it was being built. Thirty three years later, after a few different roles I took severance and left. that was before the dust.....

Then in 1975 GEC Alstom employed me and others as what Mr SouthernDelight very kindly described as ‘highly skilled’ professionals :shock1: to oversee erection, commissioning and early operation of a CCGT Station which closed earlier this year.:sad:

And in my original comment I was only me being frivolous anyway ....

Edited by JAS21

3 hours ago, Morakot said:

You mean permanent residency, do you? How long was that ago? Basic Thai language requirement has been in place for ages.

The only two words that matter out of what he said are "rich family".

9 hours ago, Morakot said:

Yes, permanent. I dont the exact date, but it would be within the past 5 or 6 years. 

I think I may be a jinx so definitely  won't be wanted here … I went there while it was being built. Thirty three years later, after a few different roles I took severance and left. that was before the dust.....

Then in 1975 GEC Alstom employed me and others as what Mr SouthernDelight very kindly described as ‘highly skilled’ professionals :shock1: to oversee erection, commissioning and early operation of a CCGT Station which closed earlier this year.:sad:

And in my original comment I was only me being frivolous anyway ....

As was I - also to draw attention to the apparent lack of a concept of 'maintenance' here -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/20/2017 at 4:02 PM, RoyEngland said:

Same here. Network & systems engineer qualified.. How do you go about getting the visa? 

By getting a job first.

All this talk about work permits being issued with a visa/permission to stay! Unless they change the rules on work permits (which they won't) for a class of visa/permission to stay, your work permit is issued for a specific job at a specific location.

Anyone thinking the Thai government is going to issue a 'free-range' (work where ever and at what ever you want) work permit should not logically qualify for a 'smart' visa in the first place as this ain't gonna happen....................:wink:

On 8/18/2017 at 2:39 AM, Raymonddiaz said:

highly skilled professionals????........not to many will be qualified for that visa.

Don't judge by your self, and your friends. There are plenty of highly skilled workers in farangland. 

7 hours ago, Lunchbob said:

Yes, permanent. I dont the exact date, but it would be within the past 5 or 6 years. 

Thank you kindly.

Yes that means they must have interpreted the rules quite liberally.  As you were implying with pointing to the wealth of the family.

4 year 'professional' Visa, 10 year 'retirement' Visa, what is next??

May I suggest that the PM's Office consider allowing all holders of 12 month Retirement or Marriage Visas (or related 12 months Permissions to Stay), to be exempt from the 90 day reporting requirement. Surely if Thai Immigration has 'vetted' someone correctly in order for them to get such a Visa, then they dont really need them to report their location every 3 months. Yes, if they actually move - and of course at each 12 month renewal or extension - but not every 3 months.  Most holders of these Visas that I know, stay at the same place for long periods - many for several years.  Sure, if someone is moving around a lot, then they need to know, but if someone is living at the same place year after year, then they dont need to be told every 3 months.  And there is no money in it for 'them' anyway - and no reason for an Agent - no reason at all really. 

They should rather implement with their Consulates abroad a hassle free, retirement visa for 10 years crafted as per the first level Elite Visa scheme costing 500'000 THB.

The targetted retirement visitors/property investors could hesitate to shell out the 500'000 THB for 5 years but would surely consider the scheme if the visa was hassle free and valid for 10 years!

On 18.8.2017 at 5:12 PM, maxpower said:

My boss is a systems engineer and qualifies for this visa.

Lower grade dogs like me will remain on regular work permits I have been told.

There is a lot of diskremenation in Thailand now.