Thailand’s weird crackdown on boozy photos makes global headlines

snoop1130

Thailand’s weird crackdown on boozy photos makes global headlines

By Coconuts Bangkok

sdfghj7yh.JPG

Thailand was the subject of a story in the American edition of Voguemagazine today, but it wasn’t a profile of a hip designer or news about an emerging fashion trend.

Instead, Vogue wanted to point out to its influential audience that, should they choose to vacation in Thailand, they should be careful about what they publish to social media.

The article explained that alcohol advertising is illegal in the country and that even posting a photo to your own account showing alcohol brands could be construed as advertising or endorsing.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thailands-weird-crackdown-boozy-photos-makes-global-headlines/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-8-18

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, hellstens said:

What happens if you remove the label on the beer bottle?

Nothing, in this case most people would have been looking at the contents of the pink panties and then noticed she was carrying a green bottle, which may have contained beer or wine, while she took a long walk off a short pier. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Joebuzz said:

Booze & cheap women.....what else have they got?  Following three years there I finally realized there was nothing there that I couldn't live without.  On to better places.

ok i agree  cheap women ... but beers shit!!!

cheaper places for beer and women, Thailand you are losing it!

7 hours ago, YetAnother said:

another in a series of new laws that are predictable with ultra conservative govts; and the really fun part is no-end-in-sight

I got "invited" (mandatory "fun") to an RTA Colonel's promotion/change of command in Pathum Thani once.

I had loads of work to do, but everybody there was encouraged to attend, otherwise the big cheese would lose face.

Not too bad, with coyote dancers and Johnny Walker flowing freely, but the music! WAAAAAY too loud!

If you ever attend an Army party, trust me, you'll be swimming in booze & women.

Thais may become very confused to learn there are publications with an influential audience here they are only used to "influential figures" who come up with such stupid ideas, as to pixelate cigarettes and glasses of wine on TV shows.

13 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Worse now indisputably, but it was always thus. 

Blame the coup for everything wrong in the country, but most of all wrongs existing for decades.

People have very short memories and tend to forget why the army decided to step in.

One of my off-street bar/restaurant in CM yesterday, told us to sit in the back lounge between 2-5pm as the police are cracking down (on management) if customers sit at the front tables next to the Soi and have beer bottles on the table - as an advert. What a way to treat tourists  - it's an inability to accept that  tourist income is an essential part of the economy.

9 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Blame the coup for everything wrong in the country, but most of all wrongs existing for decades.

People have very short memories and tend to forget why the army decided to step in.

Was it to prevent beer advertising?

55 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I recently found out that "Leo" makes soda water from their TV advertising. Cannot say I have ever seen it in a shop.

You won't, to be accurate, Boon Rawd (Singha) makes soda water as does ThaiBev (Chang). Leo is Singha's other beer.