Syrian army, Hezbollah attack Islamic State near Lebanon border

rooster59

Syrian army, Hezbollah attack Islamic State near Lebanon border

640x640 (9).jpg

Lebanese soldiers fire artilleries in Ras Baalbek, Lebanon August 17, 2017. REUTERS/ Hassan Abdallah

BEIRUT (Reuters) - The Syrian army and Hezbollah attacked a pocket of territory occupied by Islamic State straddling the border with Lebanon from the Syrian side, seizing a number of hilltops on Friday, a Hezbollah military media unit said.

Hezbollah fighters and Syrian soldiers were "tightening the noose" on Islamic State in the barren frontier region, the military media unit run by Hezbollah, a key Damascus ally, said.

Syrian state-owned Ikhbariyah TV said the Syrian army closed in on the militants on Syria's side of the frontier and seized several hills.

The Lebanese army has been gearing up to launch an assault against the enclave from inside Lebanon and is expected to start its offensive soon.

Lebanese military sources have said the army would fight Islamic State on Lebanese soil without any direct cooperation with the Syrian army or Hezbollah.

Any sign of joint operations with the Iran-backed group or the Syrian army could jeopardise the sizeable U.S. military assistance it receives.

The United States - which classifies Hezbollah as a terrorist group - helps arm the Lebanese army and delivered eight new armoured vehicles on Monday, its embassy said.

Lebanon's Hezbollah has played a major role in battling the Sunni militants based on the frontier during Syria's six-year war, and has sent thousands of troops to fight alongside Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-19

Yes, this is great news. So, the Lebanese army is getting ready to attack this ISIS enclave near the Lebanon-Syria border. And the Syrian army and Hezbollah are also attacking ISIS near the Syria-Lebanon border. ISIS in that area, are surely finished.

The Lebanese army has recieved help from Washington, and indeed, Washington delivering eight armoured vehicles will help in the fight against ISIS. ISIS must be defeated, that's very important.

Notice the report from Reuters says  "Lebanon's Hezbollah has played a major role in battling the Sunni militants based on the frontier during Syria's six-year war, and has sent thousands of troops to fight alongside Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government." Actually, how big has been the role played by Hezbollah, in battling the Sunni militants ?
The claim from Reuters is, is that it is "major". Are Reuters telling the truth ?

Will Washington send combat jets to bomb ISIS just before the Lebanese army attacks ISIS in the area of the Syria-Lebanon border ?
Will Washington send combat jets to bomb ISIS whilst Hezbollah and the Syrian army are attacking ISIS in the area of the Syria-Lebanon border ?

Edited by tonbridgebrit

Let's see, according to Arab culture, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Let's update that to; "the enemy of my friend of my enemy of my friend of my enemy is........"  ummm, I don't know, I lost track.  I guess everybody is my enemy in the Dunes.   Just grab some automatic weapons and start shooting at anything that moves - you'll probably hit an enemy (......of mine?, or an enemy of yours?  I dunno, just pass the ammo and praise Allah).

Edited by boomerangutang

11 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Will Washington send combat jets to bomb ISIS just before the Lebanese army attacks ISIS in the area of the Syria-Lebanon border ?
Will Washington send combat jets to bomb ISIS whilst Hezbollah and the Syrian army are attacking ISIS in the area of the Syria-Lebanon border ?

We don't know.  Yet chances are better than 50-50 that Trump will jump into the fray in some fashion or another.  You remember, he said he had "a plan to defeat ISIS so fast, your head will spin."  

Best of all, for Trump, jumping into the fray will deflect attention from his mega-troubles at home.  I can almost hear Trump saying "Hey Jared, call Raytheon.  Ask 'em how many MOAB's we can get to B1's parked in Germany.  I'm in the mood for some bombing.  And while you're at it, bring me some chocolate cake and 3 scoops of ice cream and a diet coke. Thanks."

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

For the fist time ever, i applaud the Hezbullah... as for the first time

in their existence they're fighting the right enemy for a change...

Has nothing to do with fighting the right enemy.

It is  Shiite terrorists fighting Sunni terrorists, like UDF fighting IRA.... but even more vicious.

Don't get your hopes up!

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

For the fist time ever, i applaud the Hezbullah... as for the first time

in their existence they're fighting the right enemy for a change...

So long as they don't repeat their War Crimes activities & keep focus on their enemy Islamists. I guess you know motivation for Hezbollah involvement and it ain't for altruistic reasons. Yes, Mr. T Hezbollah have been fighting in Syria for a quite a while with wins and losses.