Pangasius in restaurants: 100% fish fillets are 80thb/kilo pangasius! But what did they told you it was ?

bberrythailand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

this guy just loves arguing with me for the sake of arguing sometimes, pay him no mind...

Who is arguing you have your opinions i have mune or are you saying whatever you say is correct and everybody must bow down before you! Not me boyo

Edited by jeab1980

11 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Oh dear havent got any taste have you.

much more taste than you, obviously

now i cease to escalate any further,

please go argue with somebody who enjoys much ado about nothing... :passifier:

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Who is arguing you have your opinions i have mune or are you saying whatever you say is correct and everybody must bow down before you! Not me boyo

maybe you need glasses?

last time i or any of my boyfriends checked, i am certainly NOT a boyo...

and opinions don't interest me whatsoever, i deal in FACTS

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

And the link between pangasius and brexit is?

That people who don't like pangasius also don't like brexit?

the brexit thing morphed from a discussion of farmed salmon and dangers thereof, then took on a half-life of its own... :smile:

31 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

maybe you need glasses?

last time i or any of my boyfriends checked, i am certainly NOT a boyo...

and opinions don't interest me whatsoever, i deal in FACTS

Why would i need glasses? I have no idea if your a man or woman a picture of a woman means sod all do you could be a boyo and still have boyfriends now theres a fact for you.

21 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Jeab, I believe that you have been under a lot of stress recently.

So I am not judging you for your recent posts.

However, do yourself and us a favour, and stop biting TVF posters.

Oh and go easy on the Heineken.

How very noble of you but i have NFI what your on about.

If you care to read my post on Brexit you will in fact see that i was quoting another poster who introduced it into the thread.

As for mr or mrs jenifer d who is one of the most self opionated people i have ever had the displeasure of reading. If he/she posts  opinions he/she must accept others are going to post theres. 

Edited by jeab1980

22 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Hey who cares. If its nice and tastey when served then thats ok for me. Why the ranting? Or is it a boring day for you

I'm no scientific expert on these matters, but I do know a few things.

I trust the Thai fishing/fish farming industry to take any shortcut and use any questionable feed or additive or coloring that they possibly can. And clearly, no one in any of the Thai govt. non-regulating, non-public health agencies is going to do thing one about it.

These days, unfortunately, I won't eat any seafood sold/served in Thailand, for the reasons above as well as the fact that the area's oceans, rivers, lakes, etc where wild fish are caught are heavily polluted with who knows what. And then when you get into farmed fish like the pangasius and catfish, that's likely to be even more disgusting.

There was a time when I would have limited that perspective to seafood caught and/or raised in SE Asia. But these days, in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan and the Fukushima nuclear plants leaking untold volumes of radiation contaminated water into the oceans, I'm pretty much off seafood entirely now, regardless of the source.

It's a sad state of affairs that the oceans and other waterways have become man's toilet, and the various fishes are just living off and growing up on all the turds and other muck that's getting dumped into the ocean waters.

On the subject of fish coloring in Thailand, here's one of my favorite past salmon articles from a bit over a year ago:

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/sushi-crackdown-officials-collect-raw-fish-samples-run-chemical-dye-tests/

Dr. Nantarika Chansue, an aquatic lives expert from Chulalongkorn University, conducted a simple experiment on her Japanese dinner and found out that the raw fish she had planned to eat was dyed pink.

Dr. Nantarika’s experiment was a simple one. She just left a sample of her tuna in water for five minutes. In that time, the color surprisingly came off, revealing white meat.

“I ordered a sushi set from a popular chain restaurant and, as a fish doctor, I just couldn’t eat it. The color of the tuna was unnaturally pink,” she wrote in a Facebook post that went viral on Wednesday.

Dr. Paisal Dunkum, deputy secretary-general of the FDA, said that it is illegal to dye raw meat and that violators could face up to two years imprisonment and a fine of THB20,000.

He advised consumers to observe fish’s color and judge whether it seems natural for their own safety, according to Thai PBS.

And in the wake of this professor's impromptu experiment, did the Thai FDA investigate or discover or fine a single restaurant for illegally coloring their salmon or selling illegally colored salmon???  If they did, it was the best kept secret in Thailand.

Ah, fish safe enough to eat ....... There are 2 aspects, freshness and pollution. 

As has been said, much 'fresh' fish is not very fresh and has often been previously frozen as well. Farmed, factory frozen fish or fish frozen immediately after capture is invariably a lot fresher. When i ate my first self caught Mackerel it was a totally different fish to that bought in the shops. I learned, as an angler and fish biologist what genuinely fresh fish looks and tastes like, In Thailand i live in the NE and there is no such thing as fresh sea fish - also the commercially grown tilapia are no better. Look at the eyes, says it all. 

Pollution. Many seas are polluted these days. The toxins concentrate either in bottom sediments or are accumulated up the food chain. So top predators like Tuna are worse, even though they live mainly in open ocean waters, and after i was shown flatfish covered in tumours from the North Sea put off eating those (the ones with the tumours, which they get due to exposure to industrial contaminants like PCB's, are filleted first!). Farmed fish MAY be grown in polluted conditions, but badly polluted water will not economically grow fish (sick fish will not put on weight). Fish like Pangasius are good at converting low value foods and food wastes into animal protein - they are low on the food chain so do not accumulate toxins much. I am more dubious about the walking catfish (plaa Duk) as they are fed a lot more fish meal so can accumulate more toxins, plus if you smelt the water they are grown in it would put you off. Tilapia again are fed largely vegetable derived feeds so little bio-accumulation of toxins in the food chain, although some growers do use antibiotics etc.

So what do i eat here? I take one look at 'fresh' fish in makro to remind myself I prefer to grow and catch my own, i know the water they grow in and what they mainly eat. Never had a bad tasting fish. Otherwise i eat frozen pangasius or a bit of tinned tuna, occasionally Mackerel.

Lastly, Naming of Fish. Unfortunately one fish can be sold under many names. Pangasius can be called basa, dory, catfish or other names - reasons can be complex - for instance Pangasius cannot be called catfish in the USA otherwise some people would think it was the same as USA (Channel) catfish. Pacific Dory probably is John Dory, a sea fish (hence different price and taste). Pangasius is a fast growing freshwater fish with few disease problems and is tolerant of poor environmental conditions (but that shouldn't affect flavour).

Is Norwegian salmon or Pangasius contaminated by pesticides?  Possibly, but as said, the EU has stringent safety rules and fish are tested. Only problem with Salmon really are sea-lice. These are managed by carefully controlled applications of chemicals at specific stages of the life cycle and other non-chemical means. Other problems with salmon are mainly viral diseases and have absolutely no impact on human safety.

Just like much fake news, many claims of dangerous foods is because the film maker has there own agenda. Hard to disprove a lot of their crap, but it doesn't make it true ....

I live in the backwoods of the Philippines right on the ocean and lucky enough my mother in law and wife were both fish mongers and do I get shot down on what looks fresh to me. All I know is clear eyes, bright red gills and very firm flesh. I am not sure how long our fishermen are at sea for our supplies but I think not long and in season we get lots of mahi mahi, swordfish and of course tuna.

having been a fisherman all my life, game or sea i loved to eat what i caught.

since moving here my rods,reels ect and the love of the game are over.

so its what fish are on offer. no cod,haddock,plaice,trout,and of course KIPPERS.

so 8yrs.ago i tried pangasius,deep fried in my own beer batter i thought not bad.

then the wife came back with some more from the mall,[home fresh]. she said the price had gone up.

but this lot was a different batch,pacific caught,and definately better tasting.more salty so i asumed they must be farmed near the sea.

since foodland open dec.last year there is only one fish i will eat,THEIR PACIFIC COD LOIN.

cut into small pieces,battered and deep fried with a touch of lemon jus.

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

having been a fisherman all my life, game or sea i loved to eat what i caught.

since moving here my rods,reels ect and the love of the game are over.

so its what fish are on offer. no cod,haddock,plaice,trout,and of course KIPPERS.

so 8yrs.ago i tried pangasius,deep fried in my own beer batter i thought not bad.

then the wife came back with some more from the mall,[home fresh]. she said the price had gone up.

but this lot was a different batch,pacific caught,and definately better tasting.more salty so i asumed they must be farmed near the sea.

since foodland open dec.last year there is only one fish i will eat,THEIR PACIFIC COD LOIN.

cut into small pieces,battered and deep fried with a touch of lemon jus.

All foodlands have it ? How much ?

24 minutes ago, meatboy said:

not sure we had the last 2loins last night,the wife will get more tomorrow.

i think its around 400bht.a kilo.

I guess my questions would be:

--Where does Foodland claim the fish actually came from?

--Can you believe that whatever they claim is actually true?

A lot of the fish I see in Foodland is just layed out "fresh" on ice, or in the freezer section packed in just their own market packaging -- in both cases, no independent way to see the source/origin of the product.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A lot of the fish I see in Foodland is just layed out "fresh" on ice, or in the freezer section packed in just their own market packaging -- in both cases, no independent way to see the source/origin of the product.

I've always marveled at the genius of taking a frozen filet (fish or chicken) and thawing it out to present it on ice.  I always dig into the freezer and look for the ones that haven't been thawed.  Because once it has, re-freezing it isn't a great idea.  I guess there's some marketing science that goes into the presentation...

Back home, they're kind (lawyered?) enough to indicate that the nice looking iced fillets have been previously frozen.  Here in Asia, I look at the way it's presented and it's pretty obvious, though not labeled that way.

I'm with you on the country of origin thing, but nowadays I don't trust anything on the labels.  Even back home.  I've seen too many Chinese factories spitting out crates of stuff labeled "Product of Japan" or Korea.  And just because it was packed in Tahiti, doesn't mean it was caught anywhere near there.  Or touched by Tahitians.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:33 PM, rickudon said:

Tilapia again are fed largely vegetable derived feeds so little bio-accumulation of toxins in the food chain, although some growers do use antibiotics etc.

I got voluntarily bumped once from a flight out of Beijing and had a lovely dinner with another bumped guy who traveled the world selling manure sweetening technology.  Basically, his equipment takes the toxic components out of all kinds of animal manure to convert it to animal food.  Most of the discussion around the table was about fish food, so I'm not so sure about the bio-accumulation thing.

But I do admit that tilapia fillets are a favorite of mine.  Because I love a very mild (to the point of bland) fillet where I don't have to pick bones out of my teeth.

On a tangent, aside from deep fried, my favorite method is to coat the fillet with olive oil, pepper, salt, oregano and other spices and microwave it.  Fast, pretty much foolproof and never dry.  Used to be butter instead of olive oil, but then I had that bypass....

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, meatboy said:

not sure we had the last 2loins last night,the wife will get more tomorrow.

i think its around 400bht.a kilo.

Certainly wouldn't pay that for Catfish

You will notice in Tesco whole Catfish per kilo or fish & the you have the filleted ones called Paguisus 

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I guess my questions would be:

--Where does Foodland claim the fish actually came from?

--Can you believe that whatever they claim is actually true?

the wife got 2x2 packs yesterday,frozen,on the packs it says,PACIFIC COD LOIN. 

i cut each loin into 6 pieces batter them and deep fry,if its good for me and mrs meat that will do fine.