Pangasius in restaurants: 100% fish fillets are 80thb/kilo pangasius! But what did they told you it was ?

bberrythailand

Hello,

I guess that anybody knows that fish fillets in all restaurants are dirty and cheap pangasius from Vietnam.

Cheap as it is, there is no doubt that restaurants serve anything else (and if you want to know what restaurants sell, check your local makro!).

But I have never seen any restaurant writing on the menu PANGASIUS. So it's a complete scam. Please tell me what you were thinking to eat ? Dory maybe ? Yes, in your dreams !

Now the question: are we sure that Pangasius is not bad for health ? I mean not worst than all the shiiiteee that restaurants sell anyway ?

Thank you.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen panga-fish (or whatever they call it) on the menu...And i would even eat it if i knew it wasn't frozen before.

Seabass or barramundi or snappers also come from fishfarms, did you know that? Maybe even more fish which we thought came from sea. 

Salmons in Norway also live in netfarms and they even give them coloragents to have the nice pink salmoncolor.

What i don't understand about seafish is how old it is...It's caught at the border of Thailand/Indonesia, goes to a collectingship which keeps it for 8 days, goes to land to the auction (i guess) and finally gets shipped all over the world as being fresh fish.

I wonder how long and how they can keep a fish fresh for so long without freezing it.

This week i saw (on discovery channel) a new program about Greenpeace where they investigate the fishingindustry in Asia...There's still a lot that we don't know.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Any fish that I order is fresh and has the head and tail attached.. Who wants to eat tasteless white fish with the texture of damp blotting paper ?

No thanks.

You've just described one of my favorites.  Deep fried catfish, served up with hush puppies and cole slaw, with french fries optional.  Dipped in red cocktail sauce  with extra horseradish.  Washed down with half a gallon of fresh brewed unsweetened ice tea with a slice of lemon.

The catfish is bland and tasteless, so it picks up the flavor of the spices in the corn meal breading.  In fact, if you can taste the fish, it's probably time to throw it away.  There's lots of excellent meals out there that start out bland and end up famous.  Another one is blackened redfish or grilled seatrout.  Bland fish that end up legendary.

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

You've just described one of my favorites.  Deep fried catfish, served up with hush puppies and cole slaw, with french fries optional.  Dipped in red cocktail sauce  with extra horseradish.  Washed down with half a gallon of fresh brewed unsweetened ice tea with a slice of lemon.

The catfish is bland and tasteless, so it picks up the flavor of the spices in the corn meal breading.  In fact, if you can taste the fish, it's probably time to throw it away.  There's lots of excellent meals out there that start out bland and end up famous.  Another one is blackened redfish or grilled seatrout.  Bland fish that end up legendary.

Catfish is one of my favorites too.. Marinaded in garlic, turmeric and other thai ingredients then barbequed slowly on charcoal.

Catfish is an oily fish (like mackerel, herring and salmon etc ) so is rich and tasty. Not like pappy frozen white fish.

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Any fish that I order is fresh and has the head and tail attached.. Who wants to eat tasteless white fish with the texture of damp blotting paper ?

No thanks.

It seems that many people want, because every single supermarket in Thailand is full of pangasius...

And it seems that some people know how to hide that it is a trash fish by cooking it... this is why all restaurants can sell this shiiiteee.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I have seen panga-fish (or whatever they call it) on the menu...And i would even eat it if i knew it wasn't frozen before.

Seabass or barramundi or snappers also come from fishfarms, did you know that? Maybe even more fish which we thought came from sea. 

Salmons in Norway also live in netfarms and they even give them coloragents to have the nice pink salmoncolor.

What i don't understand about seafish is how old it is...It's caught at the border of Thailand/Indonesia, goes to a collectingship which keeps it for 8 days, goes to land to the auction (i guess) and finally gets shipped all over the world as being fresh fish.

I wonder how long and how they can keep a fish fresh for so long without freezing it.

This week i saw (on discovery channel) a new program about Greenpeace where they investigate the fishingindustry in Asia...There's still a lot that we don't know.

It seems that you do not know that ALL salmon from norway are fed with pesticide to kill the skin disease that they ALL have in farms...

Also, all fresh fish kept in ice are not so fresh anymore, they are almost frozen !

Edited by bberrythailand

Pangasius is Europe's favourite fish nowadays...

It is cheap, has absolutely no taste, but pleasant texture, no bones and edible if covered in good tasting sauce.

Also ok to deepfry - of course like all deepfried food it will taste like Lays....

Other similar fish are tilapia, norwegian "salmon" and that fish from Victoria Lake.

But to eat this non-fish in Thailand??? There is such a variety of real fish here.

2 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

It seems that you do not know that ALL salmon from norway are fed with pesticide to kill the skin disease that they ALL have in farms...

Sure i know so, would you prefer to eat salmon with skin disease ??

In ALL large fishfarms (but also chickens or pigs) they use medicines to keep the stock healthy..The animals are too close to eachother.

I do trust the Norwegian authorities though, if they claim their fish to be good for consumption i 'll eat it. If the Thai claim the same i have my doubts but still eat it anyway, only not that often.

I bought fresh fish in Tops one day, kioshin maru (or so) it's seafish from a japanese vessel...but my wife didn't eat all her fish and at the end of our meal a thin worm came out of her leftover. That's what you get with real seafish.

Also i wonder how healthy the thai shrimps from the farms are..seashrimps cost a lot more.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Why eating this fish if its bland ?  Put your sauce on bread !

48 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Catfish is one of my favorites too.. Marinaded in garlic, turmeric and other thai ingredients then barbequed slowly on charcoal.

Catfish is an oily fish (like mackerel, herring and salmon etc ) so is rich and tasty. Not like pappy frozen white fish.

catfish is what street stalls and Esarn people eat ? The one that we see on stalls that also sell barbecue chicken ?

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Sure i know so, would you prefer to eat salmon with skin disease ??

In ALL large fishfarms (but also chickens or pigs) they use medicines to keep the stock healthy..The animals are too close to eachother.

I do trust the Norwegian authorities though, if they claim their fish to be good for consumption i 'll eat it. If the Thai claim the same i have my doubts but still eat it anyway, only not that often.

I bought fresh fish in Tops one day, kioshin maru (or so) it's seafish from a japanese vessel...but my wife didn't eat all her fish and at the end of our meal a thin worm came out of her leftover. That's what you get with real seafish.

Also i wonder how healthy the thai shrimps from the farms are..seashrimps cost a lot more.

I think you do not clearly understand that all salmon are poisoned with pesticide !

And if you trust any government you have to learn more...

Norway gvt accepted that pregnant women should not eat salmon, but the truth is that nobody should eat it !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_louse

and it's a worldwide problem

http://www.fis.com/fis/worldnews/worldnews.asp?l=e&id=64794&ndb=1

Snakehead is also tasteless to me but with that green chilisauce i can sure eat it.

My favorit fish in Thailand is a deepfried seabass though...but nowadays they cost around 300 baht for a small one in a restaurant.

I would rather pay a little extra to get a real fishfillet, something like cod. I think 300 for a small seabass full of bones is not a good deal but hey in BKK there's nothing better imo. There are no real fishfillets in the thai restaurants.

6 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

I think you do not clearly understand that all salmon are poisoned with pesticide !

And if you trust any government you have to learn more...

Norway gvt accepted that pregnant women should not eat salmon, but the truth is that nobody should eat it !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_louse

and it's a worldwide problem

http://www.fis.com/fis/worldnews/worldnews.asp?l=e&id=64794&ndb=1

Mate, Norway is a highly trustworthy country...if they claim their fish to be safe i trust them.  And yes, i eat a lot of norwegian salmon, not the wild one.

Pregnant women are a special case..

I guess everything i eat some has kind of poison in it, that's why i eat different food every day. Fish/meat/shrimps/chicken and so on.

My thai neighbours son from 16 had to loose weight so his mum fed him a lot of chicken. Now he's still fat but he has big boobs as well! Not soggy hanging boobs but real ones.

Are you also scared of chemtrails??

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Plaa kapong ... they write on the label "White Sea Bass" ... my Uncle in Ayuttaya farms them in ponds.

30 minutes ago, Thian said:

Mate, Norway is a highly trustworthy country...if they claim their fish to be safe i trust them. 

And yes, i eat a lot of norwegian salmon, not the wild one.

Pregnant women are a special case..

I guess everything i eat some has kind of poison in it, that's why i eat different food every day. Fish/meat/shrimps/chicken and so on.

My thai neighbours son from 16 had to loose weight so his mum fed him a lot of chicken. Now he's still fat but he has big boobs as well! Not soggy hanging boobs but real ones.

Are you also scared of chemtrails??

Sorry but I can only laugh if you trust the propaganda about Norway...

People working in salmon farm said to journalists that they would never eat their salmon....

But yes, if you trust, keep doing, one more cancer is nothing for world...

It's a fresh water catfish so it misses the omega3 that comes with the oily sea fish.Salmon may have passed the tipping point as fare as the insecticide use is concerned. I limit my use to once a week and would not give it to a pregnant or nursing women or child come to that.They are both intensively farmed along with a lot of shrimps/gambas/scampi and the black tiger are the worst for taste and texture.For those of you living in the UK when they make that bonfire of regulations the brexiters want your food industry will be able to sell you anything.

Be afraid very afraid.

6 minutes ago, adammike said:

It's a fresh water catfish so it misses the omega3 that comes with the oily sea fish.Salmon may have passed the tipping point as fare as the insecticide use is concerned. I limit my use to once a week and would not give it to a pregnant or nursing women or child come to that.They are both intensively farmed along with a lot of shrimps/gambas/scampi and the black tiger are the worst for taste and texture.For those of you living in the UK when they make that bonfire of regulations the brexiters want your food industry will be able to sell you anything.

Be afraid very afraid.

Yawn

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

Sorry but I can only laugh if you trust the propaganda about Norway...

People working in salmon farm said to journalists that they would never eat their salmon....

But yes, if you trust, keep doing, one more cancer is nothing for world...

Well you're free to laugh about anything. Keep in mind though that in Europe they have high food safety-rules and they don't fear to use them...just read about the chickenegg scandal which is going on right now.

Norwegian salmon is what all Europeans eat, and it is tested regularly and safe. Same goes for panga sold in Europe by the way or it won't be sold.

rarely eat fish in Thailand as its all crap, doesnt matter if its freshwater or saltwater you can taste all the crap they have been swimming in. Be it mud, deisel, garbage etc, the gills are grey not red, they taste awful but then if you can get wild caught saltwater fish from the Andaman  taken from clean water they are not bad at all. I used to catch all my own fish in Australia, clean water and they taste great, its what they swim in that ruins them here, they use all the spices when cooking to cover up the crap taste

22 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well you're free to laugh about anything. Keep in mind though that in Europe they have high food safety-rules and they don't fear to use them...just read about the chickenegg scandal which is going on right now.

Norwegian salmon is what all Europeans eat, and it is tested regularly and safe. Same goes for panga sold in Europe by the way or it won't be sold.

Thank you ! hahahahaahahahhahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Farmed Salmon — One of the Most Toxic Foods in the World?

The film starts off in Norway, looking at the chemicals used in fish farms. Kurt Oddekalv is a respected Norwegian environmental activist, and he believes salmon farming is a disaster both for the environment and for human health.

Below the salmon farms dotted across the Norwegian fjords, there’s a layer of waste some 15 meters high, teeming with bacteria, drugs, and pesticides. In short, the entire sea floor has been destroyed, and since the farms are located in open water, the pollution from these farms is in no way contained.

A salmon farm can hold upwards of 2 million salmon in a relatively small amount of space. These crowded conditions result in disease, which spreads rapidly among the stressed salmon.

According to Oddekalv, sea lice, Pancreas Disease(PD)2 and Infectious Salmon Anemia Virus (ISA) have spread all across Norway, yet consumers are not informed of these fish pandemics, and sale of these diseased fish continue unabated.

A number of dangerous pesticides are used in an effort to stave off disease-causing pests, one of which is known to have neurotoxic effects. Fish has always been considered a health food, but according to Oddekalv, today’s farmed salmon is one of the most toxicfoods in the world!

Toxicology researcher Jerome Ruzzin has confirmed Oddekalv’s claims. He’s tested a number of different food groups sold in Norway for toxins, and indeed, farmed salmon contains the greatest amount of toxins of them all, and by an incredibly large margin.

Overall, farmed salmon is five times more toxic than any other food product tested. In animal feeding studies, mice fed farmed salmon grew obese, with thick layers of fat around their internal organs. They also developed diabetes.

Ruzzin notes that a theory gaining traction is that rising rates of obesity is related to the increasing number of toxins and pollutants we’re exposed to through our environment and food. In light of his own studies, Ruzzin has stopped eating farmed salmon.

Edited by bberrythailand