Pangasius in restaurants: 100% fish fillets are 80thb/kilo pangasius! But what did they told you it was ?

bberrythailand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Meljames said:

I thought most white fish you get in restaurants these days was tilapia from  fish farms, cheap and not much else.

I remember the first - and only time I had tilapia in a Belgian restaurant.

As I had never heard of tilapia, I asked what fish is it?

Answer: a warm water fish - I understood that as a tropical fish.

Later it was in the newspaper that in Belgium tilapia are bred in the cooling water of nuclear power plants.

I've been shining ever since.

16 hours ago, Thian said:

but my wife didn't eat all her fish and at the end of our meal a thin worm came out of her leftover. That's what you get with real seafish.

Your wife was eating raw fish?

16 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

What i don't understand about seafish is how old it is...It's caught at the border of Thailand/Indonesia, goes to a collectingship which keeps it for 8 days, goes to land to the auction (i guess) and finally gets shipped all over the world as being fresh fish.

Had a brief (and sad) foray into the wholesale fresh seafood market when I was a kid that sends me to the frozen section almost every time I buy fish at the grocery store.

The term fresh just means it's never been frozen.  It could be 30 days old, and in fact that's quite common. If the eyes are cloudy and sunken, and the gills aren't red, I give "fresh" fish a pass.  Back home, that means I rarely buy fresh.  Of course, it's different in Thai wet markets where you pick the poor live devil and they gut it for you while you watch.  I just wish they'd kill it before they start cutting it up...

OTOH, fish may be caught and quick frozen on a factory ship within hours.  Unless it's been mishandled (allowed to thaw then refrozen) it's much fresher than most "fresh" fish you can buy back home.  

I love my battered fish and chips when i or my wife cooks it at home. I now only buy my Pagasis Pacific Dory from my local BgC in Khon Kaen It is labeld this. It is 279 kilo. In Tesco it is labeled pegasis and is only 129 kilo but does not taste any where near as good as the BgC. I do not know what it really is but not Pacfic Dory.

5 minutes ago, shaurene said:

I love my battered fish and chips when i or my wife cooks it at home. I now only buy my Pagasis Pacific Dory from my local BgC in Khon Kaen It is labeld this. It is 279 kilo. In Tesco it is labeled pegasis and is only 129 kilo but does not taste any where near as good as the BgC. I do not know what it really is but not Pacfic Dory.

But surely, after deepfrying they both taste like Lays?

I don' t really understand the OP.

Names are just "labels" we put on things. How is this fish compared to other fish.....is it better ir worse....if worse, why so. Or is it the same as every other fish, except in taste (and name)?

The post offers no information on these questions.

My Vietnamese lady wouldn't eat Panga if you paid her, Panga is a bony fish we only buy to feed the dog's .  We live on the Mekong which has plenty of other great tasting fish.  But I see the video is actually talking about Basa - which is a much tastier fish in Vietnam Mekong Region.

Edited by TunnelRat69

17 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

My Vietnamese lady wouldn't eat Panga if you paid her, Panga is a bony fish we only buy to feed the dog's .  We live on the Mekong which has plenty of other great tasting fish.  But I see the video is actually talking about Basa - which is a much tastier fish in Vietnam Mekong Region.

hahaha... and she is eating fish from the Mekong ! You married a Nobel price !

22 hours ago, Thian said:

Sure i know so, would you prefer to eat salmon with skin disease ??

In ALL large fishfarms (but also chickens or pigs) they use medicines to keep the stock healthy..The animals are too close to eachother.

I do trust the Norwegian authorities though, if they claim their fish to be good for consumption i 'll eat it. If the Thai claim the same i have my doubts but still eat it anyway, only not that often.

I bought fresh fish in Tops one day, kioshin maru (or so) it's seafish from a japanese vessel...but my wife didn't eat all her fish and at the end of our meal a thin worm came out of her leftover. That's what you get with real seafish.

Also i wonder how healthy the thai shrimps from the farms are..seashrimps cost a lot more.

there are several shrimp farms on the mainland near our island on  a saltwater slough; knowing what i know about the farms, and having talked to some of the workers, i no longer eat farmed shrimps whatsoever

51 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

hahaha... and she is eating fish from the Mekong ! You married a Nobel price !

i would eat fish from the Mekong (and have, when i was in Chiang Khan 2 years ago) before i would eat fish that had been farmed with massive pesticides and antibiotics, etc

and what. pray tell is the PRICE of a Nobel PRIZE??? :saai:

Edited by jenifer d
correction

19 hours ago, seajae said:

rarely eat fish in Thailand as its all crap, doesnt matter if its freshwater or saltwater you can taste all the crap they have been swimming in. Be it mud, deisel, garbage etc, the gills are grey not red, they taste awful but then if you can get wild caught saltwater fish from the Andaman  taken from clean water they are not bad at all. I used to catch all my own fish in Australia, clean water and they taste great, its what they swim in that ruins them here, they use all the spices when cooking to cover up the crap taste

yes, our island is in the Andaman, we get GREAT seafood here; Andaman Sea FAR cleaner than the Gulf of Thailand-

and spices are NOT to "cover up crap taste", that is the way they cook here!!!

On 8/20/2017 at 4:38 PM, oldhippy said:

Eating pangasius in Thailand is like drinking Heineken in Belgium.

WHY would one drink Heineken in Belgium?

Belgium beers/ales are amazing!!!

Heineken is formaldehyde-laden piss water

3 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

yes, our island is in the Andaman, we get GREAT seafood here; Andaman Sea FAR cleaner than the Gulf of Thailand-

and spices are NOT to "cover up crap taste", that is the way they cook here!!!

In all thebyears ive been in thailand i have never had a bad tasting fish from any restaurants or any i have managed to catch myself. I dont like any spices (well i do but stomach doesnt) so just basic fish.

20 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Yawn

Dont know why people have left sad or confused faces.  The poster is yet Another sore looser using any thread to hit out at those of us who pulled our country away from the rest of the  European dross finaly.

Edited by jeab1980

I started this Heineken thing, but I have absolutely no idea what these 2 posters mean:

1/ WHY would one drink Heineken in Belgium?

Belgium beers/ales are amazing!!!

Heineken is formaldehyde-laden piss water

2/ Oh dear havent got any taste have you.

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Dont know why people have left sad or confused faces.  The poster is yet Another sore looser using any thread to hit out at those of us who pulled our country away from the rest of the  European dross finaly.

huh?

Just now, jenifer d said:

you're saying that Heineken is a GOOD beer?

it is basically just as bad as American swill such as Sludgeweiser, etc

In you opinion of course. Personaly i belive Belgium beer to be as you put it piss water.

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

you'll see, Brexit will largely be a huge mistake; while there may be some benefits,

the crapola that will be brought in will gall you (for instance, Mr Fox negotiating w/USA to bring in

chlorine-washed chickens, etc)

you WILL see, Brexit is a mixed bag, mostly bad...