Fish with crispy crumb coating?

Stale white bread into the blender. Blitz to small crumbs.

Fish, dust in plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper, then coat in eggwash (raw egg, whisked).

Coat all over in breadcrumbs and deep fry or oven bake.

Works with chicken as well, very simple.

8 hours ago, surangw said:

dip in  flour, egg and panko

And then spray with a little oil, otherwise the panko will stay hard, rather than go golden and crispy before the fish finishes cooking in the oven.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/20/2017 at 10:29 PM, Thian said:

Makro has a lot of frozen fish, maybe also breaded ones. I don't like their fish though because it contains loads and loads of water, there's a very thick layer of ice around the frozen fish.

I know its an old thread but just saw your post.

A few weeks ago I ordered fish and chips and because of that ice layer you mentioned I got a crispy batter with a a kind of disgusting sloppy almost fish stew/soup inside.

Straight from the freezer into the fryer so it really just boiled the fish inside.  ??

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

I know its an old thread but just saw your post.

A few weeks ago I ordered fish and chips and because of that ice layer you mentioned I got a crispy batter with a a kind of disgusting sloppy almost fish stew/soup inside.

Straight from the freezer into the fryer so it really just boiled the fish inside.  ??

Awful huh. 

9 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Awful huh. 

Sh-tty. When I cut through the batter the stuff inside was actually running out on the plate. I sent it back of course and said I'll wait till you defrost one to replace it. The same piece came back fried almost solid with the same cold chips on the plate.

Expat restaurant by the way and I've never been back.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Sh-tty. When I cut through the batter the stuff inside was actually running out on the plate. I sent it back of course and said I'll wait till you defrost one to replace it. The same piece came back fried almost solid with the same cold chips on the plate.

Expat restaurant by the way and I've never been back.

lol

It doesn't work full stop though it has to be said that some are less worse than others if you know what I mean. Much depends on how the fish is frozen (blast freezer) and the type of fish as some, such as Basa, loses almost all of its integrity and turns out as a fish sludge. It should also be said or noted that some people like it and thus there is a demand. My friend Sow who has a restaurant on Samui serving only 'British' food refuses to serve it but if you order fish the previous day then she will make it fresh for you. It has the potential to be a good earner because fish is cheap on the island but it also has a short shelf life causing wastage. Cares about her food does Sow to the point where if you want chips (alone or with something) then you have the choice of frozen fries or fresh chips which are peeled, cut and fried to order. Impressive which is why I use her restaurant, kitchen and staff when I host a dinner party for 20-30 people every few weeks. She doesn't make anything on the food and nor do I because it's all free but she does sell a good few beers etc. and it's also on a Thursday which would otherwise be a quiet night.

SAM_0058.thumb.JPG.79924f6db4204b36aa7f9b809f1ab7dc.JPG

12 hours ago, notmyself said:

My friend Sow who has a restaurant on Samui serving only 'British' food refuses to serve it but if you order fish the previous day then she will make it fresh for you.

Related to fresh and frozen....

On the picture above you will see 'chicken Kiev, mash and peas' (which could also be fries or real chips) B220. The Kiev is also made to order using a whole chicken breast which is stuffed with frozen home made garlic butter (not marg or some such), paned with panko breadcrumbs and deep fried before finishing in the oven. Takes 25-30 minutes but she sells loads allowing her to always have fresh chicken breasts at hand, unlike fish. Nothing goes out of HER kitchen without her approval which was or maybe could have been an issue when I basically said I'm using you kitchen 10 days from now having only met 2 or 3 times in passing. I don't go out much and am not known personally by many people but I have been here since '99 and so my name is well known.

At the start I kept it very British to keep with the ethos and then went to a traditional Chinese take-away served in foil trays in a brown paper take away bag. She trusted my judgement by then but couldn't figure out why I was serving it as a take-away if people were staying. [special fried rice, prawn foo young, chicken chow mein, deep fried pork balls in my sweet and sour sauce, mixed veg in oyster sauce and one other which I forget] ahhh [chicken with cashew nuts]. Next time I done an Indian with the same attention to detail though served on banana leaves.

SAM_0311.thumb.JPG.ffa13eb94c3a9ac27ea3c7a797e67842.JPG

SAM_0312.thumb.JPG.cfed3f73b64119d7c1232650f7d993f6.JPG

No picture of the Indian at hand but everything was made from fresh and not frozen. Some things can be frozen so perhaps I'm a little anal but once you freeze fish it is like I said earlier.. some are least worse then others.

[edit]

SAM_0244.thumb.JPG.f35529116ed9d476282e44917a390599.JPG

SAM_0336.thumb.JPG.eb740410f370dd8e2f09ad847a89cc72.JPG

Archived