Yellow Book / Tabien Baan and Thai ID card

Grumpy Old Man

After reading a few horror stories of foreigners trying to get their Yellow Book / Tabien Baan I want to share my experience of obtaining my Yellow Book and Thai ID card. . . . . 

My first step was to get my wife to contact the main / head office in Chiangmai and get a confirmation of all the documents required and how many copies of each, how many ID photos required and what colour the background needs to be ( I don't think I've ever been to a Government Office / Immigration Office that requires the same colour ID photo background )

This information was recorded as a hard copy for further reference along with the name of the person supplying it.

We spend a few hours making copies of all the required documents with a 50% redundancy for errors Etc. then placed them in an indexed plastic folder with the idiot guide upfront with my photos.

My wife call the local Government Office in our area to book an appointment and she was told to just come in anytime as they're not that busy.

When we arrived at our local Government Office the staff member in the office started to process our application for my Yellow Book and removed the copies of the documents as need from the indexed file, checked against the originals, entered a few things into her computer, asked my wife and myself to sign a few documents as we went along; after approximately forty minutes of paperwork we are told that we need a Thai witness preferably the village "Headman" to give a reference Etc.

My wife explained to the local Government staff that we live on a secure private village the local "Headman" has nothing to do with what goes on where we live and we'd not even know who this person was, my wife then quoted from the information supplied from their head office that all was needed was a deceleration signature on a standard form provided by the Government Office from a Thai person confirming my address Etc. after the Government staff spoke to her supervisor it was agreed that my wife was correct.

The next stage was to have all the documents submitted to the office manager to be checked and rubber stamped Etc.

Due to business commitments  we made an appointment to return the following week with our Thai witness / reference  "Mother in law" to finish the procedure, in and out within thirty minutes Yellow Book in hand, job done !

As we left the local Government Office my wife said we may as well get my Thai ID card while we're in the city and we have all the documents with us; the procedure was even easier, all the information required in held in the system and a Yellow Book automatically generates a Thai ID card number; check the copies of my Yellow Book and my UK passport against the originals, quick photo and a Thai ID card is produced. . . .

In our area the Government Office only process Thai ID cards for foreigners on a Thursday. . . . . .

After reading the horror stories / experiences other persons have gone through I know I had it easy; I also feel  "Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance" 

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

Congratulations, Is it a Blue or Pink Colour card? 

Did you not have to give a thumbprint?

You are correct with the thumbprint, I'd forgotten about that part and it was a very manly pink Thai ID card at a cost of 100THB

18 hours ago, Boycie said:

Congratulations, Is it a Blue or Pink Colour card? 

Did you not have to give a thumbprint?

I don't recall having to give a thumb print, or bring a witness.

My wife did all, and I just signed when required.

If I remember correctly, they took the photos.

The main thing, IMO, is to have a THAI person to handle the procedure- wife, friend, whatever.

I know it would have been the ultimate nightmare doing it myself.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is the Thai ID card of any use in the real world?

Will a policeman in Surin accept one from Chiang Rai instead of a passport?

A Thai ID card is a Government issued document and is valid throughout Thailand, simple !

I've not carried my UK passport when I'm out and about for over eight years; I carry my Thai driving licence, my Thai ID card and I have a photo of my UK passport on my iPhone with my Visa Etc.

22 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

A Thai ID card is a Government issued document and is valid throughout Thailand, simple !

I've not carried my UK passport when I'm out and about for over eight years; I carry my Thai driving licence, my Thai ID card and I have a photo of my UK passport on my iPhone with my Visa Etc.

Please check the font size you are posting in.

Have you ever had to produce ID to a cop? I've never had to in over 20 years.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Blood group! They really make it up in different places.

In fact, it is a necessity on issuance of any Thai I.D. card in case of the owner is in need of a blood transfusion. All national I.D cards are on a central database which can be accessed by hospitals and the majority of Gov. Depts. 

I.D. cards should always be carried on your person, it could save your life!

Just saying, have a great evening wherever you are. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Blood group! They really make it up in different places.

Yes they asked for my blood group to put with thumb prints is that a problem for you ? I  consider that to be quite a positive and the card is carried in my wallet.

4 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Do you know what it says on the back of your pink card ?  Especially the 1st notation?

does the back of your pink card look like this picture?

pink.jpg

Edited by hml367
add picture

18 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Yes they asked for my blood group to put with thumb prints is that a problem for you ? I  consider that to be quite a positive and the card is carried in my wallet.

Apologies. I was thinking yellow book which I was answering before.

No problem with blood group on ID card- good idea actually.

17 hours ago, hml367 said:

Do you know what it says on the back of your pink card ?  Especially the 1st notation?

does the back of your pink card look like this picture?

pink.jpg

I hope the following information helps and yes this is standard on all Thai ID cards issues to Aliens / Foreigners

A basic non formal translating is. . . . . .  

1.  This is not an ID card for a Thai national

2.  Who is named on is ID card is required to keep it on their person and present for any authorised inspection.

3.  Who is named  "Alien / Foreigner" on this ID card are required to carry "Alien / Foreigner" ID documents if leaving the area of issue.

I have been told by a ranking police office friend normally any ID is accepted anywhere in Thailand and his officers would not worry if your Thai ID was issued in Chiangmai and you are in Chiangrai or Bangkok Etc. 

20 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I hope the following information helps and yes this is standard on all Thai ID cards issues to Aliens / Foreigners

2.  Who is named on is ID card is required to keep it on their person and present for any authorised inspection.

3.  Who is named  "Alien / Foreigner" on this ID card are required to carry "Alien / Foreigner" ID documents if leaving the area of issue.

I have been told by a ranking police office friend normally any ID is accepted anywhere in Thailand and his officers would not worry if your Thai ID was issued in Chiangmai and you are in Chiangrai or Bangkok Etc. 

It never ceases to amaze, me even after 17 years, here the different interpretations you get from authorities.I got my ID card  in Hang Dong.

Had a very pleasant converstion,in English, with the head man and he was bemused why I wanted one.His exact words were "You know you can only use this in CM Province.As I was there and its seemed silly to leave without completing the exercise, which took all of 10 mins, I said OK no problem.

You would think that a simple flyer could be produced that spells out exactly the cards uses & limitations so everyone is on the same page.

Aplogies for using logic

21 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

does 3. in practice say that you need your passport in addition to pink outside your province?

On 24/08/2017 at 11:04 AM, melvinmelvin said:

does 3. in practice say that you need your passport in addition to pink outside your province?

In theory / full legal requirements No.3 does mean you have to carry another form of ID if you leave the province from where your pink Thai ID was issued . . . . I personally never carry my UK passport anywhere and it only ever comes out of my house safe when required for 90 Day reporting and extension to stay Etc.