Arrest warrant issued for former Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra over court no show, trial delayed to 27 September

webfact

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I was responding to the case you put forward of how the red bull heir was different because he had not attended any meetings or court. The same applies to Thaskin in the defamation case, but the court still issued the warrant.

Perhaps because they make it up as they go along?

The excuse given was that you have to appear in court personally to be hear the charge. But as all things, that seems  not always to be the case. 

3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Thaksin was PM in a caretaker government.

Of course he was ousted in the 2006 coup.

Be honest, he was the self appointed caretaker PM in a caretaker government. He resigned as caretaker PM, a new caretaker PM was appointed, but Thaksin took the job back on no legal authority.

He was illegally holding office when removed.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Be honest, he was the self appointed caretaker PM in a caretaker government. He resigned as caretaker PM, a new caretaker PM was appointed, but Thaksin took the job back on no legal authority.

He was illegally holding office when removed.

Lads, lads - Not all this again for Chrissakes...

Supreme Court issues arrest for Yingluck after no-show

By Kasamakon Chanwanpen 
The Nation

cc5282ee89b06d2a72271dc5d7f06cc6-sld.jpg

A Supreme Court on Friday issues an arrest warrant against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra after she missed a verdict in a negligence trial involving her rice-pledging scheme.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions postponed reading the verdict to September 27 and ordered the seizure of the bail guarantee of Bt30 million.

3e57e61dccf21aae01e0d4e905555df3.jpg

She is scheduled to arrive at the Court on Changwattana Road at 9am but she was no show, prompting the court to issue the arrest warrant. If Yingluck still fails to show up on September 27, the Court is allowed by law to read the verdict in her absentia.

Lead judge Cheep Chulamon told the Court that Yingluck’s lawyer said she is sick from Meniere's disease and asked to delay the ruling without presenting medical certification of her sickness.

He said the defendant's lawyers had requested for a deferment of the verdict delivery, reasoning that Yingluck was suffering from symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

The prosecutor, Cheep said, objected and did not believe that because the defendant had not submitted a medical certificate.

The court considered the request and decided not to believe the claim that she was so unwell that she could not attend the hearing, Cheep said.

The court was convinced Yingluck had absconded and so ordered to issue an arrest warrant and seize the Bt30 million bail, he said.

The verdict is rescheduled to September 27 at 9 am.

The reading of the statement took less than one minute and the ruling panel left the courtroom immediately after it was finished.

Outside the Court room, Yingluck's lawyer; Norawich Larlang he was informed by a source at 8 am this morning that Yingluck is not unwell. Norawich said he did not know Yingluck's whereabouts or whether or not she is still in the Kingdom or not.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan confirms that he has been informed about Yingluck’s no-show in the court on a claim of sickness. 

Noppadol Pattama, former foreign minister under Yingluck’s government claimed he has no knowledge on Yingluck's delayed arrival.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324851

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-25

1 hour ago, webfact said:

BBC News reports that an arrest warrant has been issued for former Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra after she failed to turn up at court on Friday.

The trial has now been delayed until 27 September.

I still don't understand why in Thailand, in contrary with almost every other country in the world, a verdict can not be made if the accused is absent.

Where I come from that would automatically mean the maximum penalty.

8 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Thaksin was PM in a caretaker government.

Of course he was ousted in the 2006 coup.

No he wasn't.

He'd quit as caretaker and then decided he wanted to change his mind.

He was not allowed to do this. 

The coup occurred after he had quit as caretaker. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Your right about the red bull guy, but seems YL got some traits of her brother still. 

If she does do a runner its either an egg on the face of the junta or they deliberately let her go. Like you said she was watched a lot. 

Out of sight, out of mind.  Just letting her go and getting her out of the country is a very real possibility.  Not a perfect solution, but probably very workable for the current PM and he would be able to ride things out for several years, move his money off shore, plan for his retirement and exit, etc.  By the way where are all the previous ex PMs that took over in coups?  How many stayed in Thailand after they left office?

Just now, Baerboxer said:

555! Or the mushrooms needed weeding!

Or even better, oh sorry, I was busy and forgot!

You are no PR man, ''I was helping the poor farmers of Isaan in the rice fields, will be back soon after nursing a poor farmers wife back to health''

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Eastern philosophy has them in it for the long game.  He's alive and out of prison to keep playing.  That's a win.

I dont know. When he is on his death bed in some foriegn hospital he may realise the it was game over as soon as he fled. 

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

He would have been elected in another landslide and was running the country at the time.

Excusing the coup with semantics. 

So you're ok for Thaksin to illegally seize power whenever he fancies? Usual Shin apologist hypocrisy.

And just dismiss it as a semantic? He was delaying and delaying an election, maybe he wasn't as sure as you.

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I'm not sure you can compare her to a paedophile rapist scumbag like Polanski. 

I recognize that the comparison is a bit rough. But she still falls into this category of people who despises justice and who believes itself above the laws

Just now, nikmar said:

Correct me Im wrong, but havent the junta frozen her assets. 

She goes, they keep her money. Deal!!

Maybe the ones they know about and can reach.  But most Elites don't keep most of their money in Thailand anyway.

Just now, than said:

I recognize that the comparison is a bit rough. But she still falls into this category of people who despises justice and who believes itself above the laws

Fits in well with the present regime, then...

12 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Living a life of exile in Dubai with a montenegro passport is winning? 

...versus fronting a rival party in Thailand with a Thai passport but the military's hand up the back of your kilt?

thai_politicians.png.d552e0244f933143505ae69a5be097db.png

Yes... yes it is.

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You are no PR man, ''I was helping the poor farmers of Isaan in the rice fields, will be back soon after nursing a poor farmers wife back to health''

Nah. I'm sticking with the 'Couldn't be arsed to get out of bed for it' angle...

It is becoming like Vesteros where all opponents with some say and support are being cut off and soon we will see a void in the political circle because Cersie who wears pants and has a special blend forty four elixir that gives invincibility may not truly want to put anyone else other than themselves on the Iron Throne. And I thought GOT politics were treacherous.

Hopefully, we will see something positive happen so it can return to its former glory.

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

C'mon guys, you are trying to excuse the coup with semantics. 

We all know the timeline. 

Ok then, the coup was to remove Thaksin Shinawatra from political office. Better?

Whatever the reason for the coup, and we do disagree I guess, I just wish that a news agency like Reuters would get their facts right. 

56 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Lead story on the BBC website. For a society that places so much value on face, they really do have a knack for washing their dirty laundry in public.

The Junta hounding after the incredibly popular, democratically elected PM that they removed via yet another coup. Whatever you think of Yingluck, it's not a positive image for Thailand.

The disconnect is at Thailand's borders. Face to Thais in Thailand is what it's about. However the world perceives Thailand's face is, of course, dictated by Thai face.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUioLEf3wsoPFphn20_dB

So there is an arrest warrant.  What does that mean in Thailand?  In most countries, when there is an arrest warrant, you go and ARREST the person!  The officials have supposedly been following here very closely for a long time.  So why not go get her?    Probably because it is better for the junta if She is quietly somehow let out of the country.  The current PM could then ride things out for several years

Pretty much what every decent person wanted, since whatever the Court's verdict, the aftermath would be shitty for someone. Now, the shit will be seen to have landed exactly where EDP wanted, in the lap of the election-fearing GenP. .  . and just before his US vacation, too, what a damn shame!