Arrest warrant issued for former Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra over court no show, trial delayed to 27 September

webfact

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I am sure the story from the Shinawatra gang will be that she did it to protect her supporters being set upon by the army.  Hopefully this will put an end to the Shinawatra cancer forever.

It wont, that is the legacy they have left behind, if anything good can come out of the Shinawatra saga it is, 'ignore the poor again at your peril'

28 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

They needn't look good, it is sufficient that they don't look bad. Jailing her would have been a PR disaster, a verdict of innocent would have been just as bad and made the junta laughable, now they need do nothing except lament with crocodile tears that she fled a Thai court who was trying to administer justce  

I'm really not trying to be obtuse but the fact they are admitting she got away makes them laughable.  

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It wont, that is the legacy they have left behind, if anything good can come out of the Shinawatra saga it is, 'ignore the poor again at your peril'

Well Thailand has been doing that way before Thaksin was in power.  I moved to Thailand before him and although things were marginally worse under him for the poor, he managed to con them into believing he was on their side.

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well Thailand has been doing that way before Thaksin was in power.  I moved to Thailand before him and although things were marginally worse under him for the poor, he managed to con them into believing he was on their side.

That was his strength, he gave them hope not just slogans and for a while he delivered.

This morning I went to my local pharmacist, where the owner speaks good English and talks to me about things which he probably wouldn't talk about to other Thais.  

He told me of her doing a runner and said that Thai Facebook was full of the story that she had sneaked into Cambodia a day or so ago, and had then flown by private plane to Singapore.  

Wouldn't surprise me, knowing the way people run away from their responsibilities here and refuse to accept the consequences of their conduct.   The Shinawatra lot are the prime example of that.  

PS  

Ha!  My spellcheck just highlighted Shinawatra and suggested the replacement should be 'Trashiness'!!   :biggrin:

16 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That was his strength, he gave them hope not just slogans and for a while he delivered.

The problem is that offering hope without any follow-up just shows how shallow he was.  

Offering hope to get a position where he could milk the country is hardly commendable.  

1 minute ago, Mister Fixit said:

The problem is that offering hope without any follow-up just shows how shallow he was.  

Offering hope to get a position where he could milk the country is hardly commendable.  

The 30 Baht scheme was on his watch, one product one tambon, the village credit scheme (one million Baht) and no the majority didn't get into debt buying motor bikes , the farmers were somewhat better off, I live in a farming community in Isaan and can remember those times, despite his proven corruption he is still highly regarded here.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

The 30 Baht scheme was on his watch, one product one tambon, the village credit scheme (one million Baht) and no the majority didn't get into debt buying motor bikes , the farmers were somewhat better off, I live in a farming community in Isaan and can remember those times, despite his proven corruption he is still highly regarded here.

Try informing us all about Yingluck holding up a Samsung tablet, and saying pre election  every child will get one, in fact 35% got one--CHINESE MAKE,  half broke---10% of rural schools do not have electric to re-charge, and no repair  shops,   good election propaganda.------also the poor farmer did not get a good deal---the mega rice grower did and the millers.----the 30 bht health  ???   it cost more in admin than 30 baht--that is why Abhisit  dropped the charge.     I also live in a farm area, so your picture differs from mine.   but what you say is true,  the village head man controlled--they became red villages,    difficult for non Thaksin admirers to speak.

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Probably because they still remember the free mobile phones and 500 baht per vote ...

And all due respect to poorly educated farmers in Isaan, if he is  still highly regarded by them it shows again 1) how shallowly he and they think and 2) he'd have done more for the country by putting the money into a better education system.

No, wait ... That would mean they would realise how shallow he was and that he was just buying them off with trinkets. Can't have that, can we?

4 hours ago, grollies said:

God help most of the posters here then.

We shouldn't flatter ourselves into thinking that comments made here are taken seriously by the powers that be. This forum is not in any way part of the Thai mainstream media, and is likely viewed as no more than an inconsequential curiosity by the Thai government.

4 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Try informing us all about Yingluck holding up a Samsung tablet, and saying pre election  every child will get one, in fact 35% got one--CHINESE MAKE,  half broke---10% of rural schools do not have electric to re-charge, and no repair  shops,   good election propaganda.------also the poor farmer did not get a good deal---the mega rice grower did and the millers.----the 30 bht health  ???   it cost more in admin than 30 baht--that is why Abhisit  dropped the charge.     I also live in a farm area, so your picture differs from mine.   but what you say is true,  the village head man controlled--they became red villages,    difficult for non Thaksin admirers to speak.

I wasn't referring to puppet Yingluck, nor did I think that the tablets were a good idea ( someone made a lot of money on that) as for the admin charges that is true but that is not the point, the poor had access to good medical treatment without having to mortgage their land to the bank. I visited an old lady in hospital for kidney treatment ( IC unit) her son told me the treatment would have cost over 200k which they could never have paid, top notch equipment in a small market town, she is still alive 8 years later. My village is by no means red but still they regard him highly (Yingluck not so much and the junta not at all). This doesn't affect me one way or the other, there is good and bad in everything and that's the way I see it.

She is not a martyr now.. she is doing a runner.. different story.. she did not dare to face the courts knowing she was indeed guilty.

Said an accountant and we all know what breed of person they are don't we. Fits in well with the Junta thinking

Posts and replies in violation of the following have been removed:

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Your right about the red bull guy, but seems YL got some traits of her brother still. 

If she does do a runner its either an egg on the face of the junta or they deliberately let her go. Like you said she was watched a lot. 

I think the Government is happy for her to go, it defuses what could have been a very confrontational situation if/when she is convicted.

27 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Blood in the streets ?

They could not chance her death in prison.

This is a good point. Most revolutions have a focal point. Her 'suicide' or 'unexplained death' in the monkey would not have gone down well with the people.

Edited by owl sees all

9 hours ago, choff56 said:

Bringing global attention to the Thai repressive military junta and a very corrupt justice system. Good move Yingluck, you appear to have Prayuth in check.

You failed to mention the very corrupt elected government she led who stole and misappropriated billions etc etc etc.

she has been under the watchful eye of "Big Uncle" for so long, how in the world could this happen? has she been abducted by aliens? locals? either the Shinawatras have outsmarted the junta or we're just seeing another scripted Thai drama.

3 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

So, now it looks like the "escape" was orchestrated by the government which has been eager for her to leave for years now.  Probably the goal of the court case was just to drive her out.

You have a very active imagination, don't you Captain.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

COURT ORDERS ARREST OF NO-SHOW YINGLUCK

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

S__5054529-696x464.jpg  

Supporters Friday morning outside the Supreme Court building in north Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra became a fugitive of the law Friday when she failed to appear to hear the verdict in her malfeasance trial.

While thousands of her supporters gathered outside the Supreme Court, Yingluck did not appear as expected and later requested the reading of the verdict be postponed until Sept. 27, citing health reasons. Just after 9:30am, the court denied her request as groundless and issued an arrest warrant for the former leader.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/courts/2017/08/25/court-orders-arrest-no-show-yingluck/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 

How many turned up Thousands by the look of it Well Done You People that is what is needed here

15 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

How many turned up Thousands by the look of it Well Done You People that is what is needed here

You do understand that they were most probably paid to turn up........ there are precedents.

22 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

she has been under the watchful eye of "Big Uncle" for so long, how in the world could this happen? has she been abducted by aliens? locals? either the Shinawatras have outsmarted the junta or we're just seeing another scripted Thai drama.

Well I for one will keep my fingers crossed until I know she is safe. I wouldn't like to think she has just disappeared never to be seen again. A possibility though. Anything is possible with this military <snip>.