Supreme Court jails Boonsong 42 years on G-to-G rice deal

webfact

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

How you travel to Cambodia when you are behind steel bars?

How much does a prison guard make?  In fact, the entire shift?

One runner today left behind a 30 million bail bond.  That could pay the entire shift for a few years.

Edited by impulse

Seems all the crooks are sentenced harsh, and so they should for stealing and being corrupt. This is proof of how corrupt the rice scheme was. The corruption went all the way to the top and the rice trader is linked to Thaksin. No wonder YL did a runner this showed she was negligent if your own top ministers are proven to be corrupt and the rice deals fake.

Remember fake rice deals means that they resold the rice in the program and made a killer profit. Such good men those PTP ministers.

3 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

Lot of troll posts lately

I'm still recalling the lady murderer who was declared dead in a Thai prison, only to be found years later living happily in her home town.  She wasn't even that wealthy...

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Seems all the crooks are sentenced harsh, and so they should for stealing and being corrupt. This is proof of how corrupt the rice scheme was. The corruption went all the way to the top and the rice trader is linked to Thaksin. No wonder YL did a runner this showed she was negligent if your own top ministers are proven to be corrupt and the rice deals fake.

Remember fake rice deals means that they resold the rice in the program and made a killer profit. Such good men those PTP ministers.

"proof" ?

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm still recalling the lady murderer who was declared dead in a Thai prison, only to be found years later living happily in her home town.  She wasn't even that wealthy...

You have a credible link to that story, because I don't recall it?

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

They just lurch from one extreme to another. From doing nothing to handing out ridiculous sentences.

A straight 5-10 year stretch would of been fine, and make him serve it all. It is not a crazy sentence but one which would act more as a warning that it is not a life sentence but they are serious and they will make you serve it.

Drink driving, killing a cop, nothing. Fraud 42 years.

And what country isn't punishing more for fraud against government than murder

Just now, Tilacme said:

"proof" ?

Seems the judges have seen the proof, and the whole process of the fake rice deals has been described in the newspapers before. 

You could only sell rice below the price you bought it for if you sold it G2G. 

So a G2G deal was made up, it was proven that China never bought the rice and the rice never left the warehouses. It was sold back in the system. Just imagine the profits.

That you havent read about it you must have been sleeping. The judges have seen the proof of what was said in the newspapers and deemed it enough. Only those with red tinted glasses would defend the fake G2G deals. 

1 minute ago, sead said:

And what country isn't punishing more for fraud against government than murder

Yes the sentences are a bit over the top, 5-10 real years in jail plus all ill gotten gains taken away would be better. But we all know how sentences get reduced here. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Former Thai minister jailed for 42 years for falsifying rice deals with China

tag-reuters-1.jpg

Yingluck's former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom who is accused of falsifying government-to-government rice deals arrives at the Supreme Court in Bangkok, Thailand, August 25, 2017. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Bangkok court sentenced a former Thai commerce minister to 42 years in jail on Friday after finding him guilty of falsifying government-to-government rice deals between Thailand and China.

The verdict in the case against Boonsong Teriyapirom comes hours after former Thai prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra failed to show up at the Supreme Court for the verdict in a negligence case brought against her over the same rice scheme which her government introduced in 2011.

Sources close to Yingluck, who was ousted by a military coup in 2014, said on Friday that the former prime minister had fled Thailand. The Supreme Court on Friday issued an arrest warrant for Yingluck.

"Boonsong is sentenced to 42 years in prison," a judge said, handing down the verdict.

Thailand's anti-graft commission said the deals announced by Boonsong had caused "huge losses" to the state and that rice was sold locally and not exported, as claimed by Yingluck's government.

(Reporting by Pracha Hariraksapitak; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre & Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-25

OK The rice was sold locally.  What has happened to those who bought it locally?

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Seems the judges have seen the proof, and the whole process of the fake rice deals has been described in the newspapers before. 

So a G2G deal was made up, it was proven that China never bought the rice and the rice never left the warehouses. It was sold back in the system. Just imagine the profits.

That you havent read about it you must have been sleeping. The judges have seen the proof of what was said in the newspapers and deemed it enough. Only those with red tinted glasses would defend the fake G2G deals. 

Only those with 'yellow tinted' glasses cannot see this is political

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

That sounds like an Urban Legend Impulse, I dont think I read that anywhere

1 minute ago, The Deerhunter said:

OK The rice was sold locally.  What has happened to those who bought it locally?

You really have not been paying attention..

Made up G2G deal meant he could "buy"the rice cheap lower as the prices the farmers got for it.

Then the rice was not moved but sold back into the system for the higher price.

Just imagine a 100% profit 

Its huge corruption, one of the reasons YL fled, to allow such corruption to exist even after people pointed out that there were fake G2G deals would have shown she was negligent.

Hey ridiculous people here, tell me that just as Red bull heir Yingluck should have stayed and went to jail ?

Just as you would have let your son or mother go to jail also ? Am I right to guess how smart people on this forum think ?

Edited by bberrythailand

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is a typical red response when someone is guilty.. to call it political.. congratulations for being the first.

So you squeal when red bull gets away, you squeal when the boys on koh tao get done up, you squeal about the courts in every other case - Drummond, Jonathan Head and SUDDENLY you approve when it's this case?

there's a name for that but I don't want to get banned yet again

Edited by LannaGuy

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Correct me if I am wrong but at the time, Thailand was world No-1 in the export of rice.  The scheme was for the gov to pay for the rice and hold it to force an under supply and so drive prices up.  (as OPEC did in 1973).  In the event, other countries upped their production and so broken the under supply and the plan collapsed.  I dare say there were skimmers along the way but as an economic policy it is basically sound.

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

You are such a disappointment gloating over a political decision. Shame on you even the few people I know who are yellows at least acknowledge this fact.

I am happy corruption is punished, your a disappointment in that you did not understand how much money this guy stole from the rice program by doing this fake deal. Now he and his minions (not only him) are punished and I am happy about it. It clearly shows the huge corruption in the rice program.

Do you even understand what these fake rice deals were.

Rice is in storage paid at say 20.000 bt a ton

In G2G deal that rice is sold to China (but it was not China) for 5.000 bt a ton

Rice was never sold to China because the deal was fake, but this rice was sold back into the rice program.. profit (in my example) 15.000 bt per ton. (could be more could be less but you can bet your life on it it was a lot of money)

I can't understand that you don't applaud that such a huge corruption scandal is punished... probably because it showed that YL was a corruption enabler. People told her about this..s he did not react.. made her negligent.

Nothing political.. all facts 

I guess people on the red side are allowed to steal and be corrupt because if they get punished its political. 

3 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Correct me if I am wrong but at the time, Thailand was world No-1 in the export of rice.  The scheme was for the gov to pay for the rice and hold it to force an under supply and so drive prices up.  (as OPEC did in 1973).  In the event, other countries upped their production and so broken the under supply and the plan collapsed.  I dare say there were skimmers along the way but as an economic policy it is basically sound.

Read my other post about the fake rice to rice deal. i know your a real smart guy.. so it should be easy to understand. It was all explained in newspapers and all how the fake deals worked.. see post 123 from me. 

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

You really have not been paying attention..

Made up G2G deal meant he could "buy"the rice cheap lower as the prices the farmers got for it.

Then the rice was not moved but sold back into the system for the higher price.

Just imagine a 100% profit 

Its huge corruption, one of the reasons YL fled, to allow such corruption to exist even after people pointed out that there were fake G2G deals would have shown she was negligent.

So did the rice scam buy this G2G same rice twice?

I thought it was sold cheap as if going to China at a bargain price but in actual fact was sold and delivered to a local buyer who onsold it at a huge profit.  I also realize that other A grade rice was reputedly sold on the quiet to local buyers but replaced with low grade import.  And that imported low grade rice was sold to the scam at inflated prices as legal local Grade A rice.  I have been trying to keep up.

Edited by The Deerhunter

15 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

That sounds like an Urban Legend Impulse, I dont think I read that anywhere

Someone's going to have to help me out with recall.  I don't even know what search terms to use.  All my searches so far end up with links to Koh Tao, so you can imagine what terms I searched under...  But it did happen.

I miss the old TVF format when all of my posts were indexed for me, not just one page worth...

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

So did the rice scam buy this G2G same rice twice?

I thought it was sold cheap as if going to China at a bargain price but in actual fact was sold and delivered to a local buyer who onsold it at a huge profit.  I also realize that other A grade rice was reputedly sold on the quiet to local buyers but replaced with low grade import.  And that imported low grade rice was sold to the scam at inflated prices as legal local Grade A rice.  I have been trying to keep up.

Yes the rice that was sold  cheap as if it was going to China (but was not) stayed local and was resold for the second time into the rice program.