Army opens fire with fines on Patong tuk-tuk, taxi drivers

snoop1130

Army opens fire with fines on Patong tuk-tuk, taxi drivers

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1503661409_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Soldiers from the Royal Thai Army began their campaign against tuk-tuk, taxi and van drivers occupying public parking spaces in Patong in earnest this week with more than 76 drivers fined since Monday (Aug 21).

“The warning period is over,” Col Santi Sakuntanark, Commander of the 25th Infantry Regiment and the highest-ranking army officer stationed in Phuket, told The Phuket News today (August 25).

Soldiers, along with Navy personnel, police as well as officials from Patong Municipality and the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO), launched the campaign quietly and politely on Aug 3, with nothing more than warnings.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/army-opens-fire-with-fines-on-patong-tuk-tuk-taxi-drivers-63606.php#ClfCm0wgIvvfkKEl.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-8-25

43 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Army opens fire...

When I first read the headline I thought it was a western shoot out between the army and the drivers, leaving only one standing and a lot of newly available parking. 

We wish............. :partytime2:

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

How about making the next crackdown on the BKK taxi crooks, who refuse to turn on the meter?

If your Bangkok taxi driver does not turn on the meter, the problem is in your mirror.... hundreds of taxi rides since meters were first introduced and it has never been a problem for me!!

Horse, gate, bolt...

there are hardly any tourists who would need to use the parking spaces now, mostly Chinese on Patong beach fully clothed, taking pics, prodding the sand, talking/shouting in their little groups, and I know its monsoon season but the amount of plastic bags on the tide line I have never seen before in ten years of staying in Phuket

- Good to see their is still plenty of Jet-skis (about 30 just on Patong beach alone) and Para Sailing outfits, way to go Patong! Giving Tourist what they want...

1 hour ago, wirat69 said:

If your Bangkok taxi driver does not turn on the meter, the problem is in your mirror.... hundreds of taxi rides since meters were first introduced and it has never been a problem for me!!

should be problem be as you say in my mirror, or say my cupboard, or even the problem from my garden or my pool...whatever  (although I do not understand your point with the mirror):smile:....

Is this a reason to cheat customers who are not Thai, who look rich or whatever the driver thinks or perhaps who look a bit naïve like maybe myself?....Do you think that this is an excuse for the taxi cheats to refuse to turn on the meter, and cheat people, my dear fellow?..Well sorry, but I will never accept, and always jump into the next taxi....

Edited by observer90210

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Why is it a thread about Phuket? It could be a thread about tuk tuk and taxi drivers. 

Because this happened/is happening in Phuket. And the thread is in the Phuket forum.

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

should be problem be as you say in my mirror, or say my cupboard, or even the problem from my garden or my pool...whatever  (although I do not understand your point with the mirror):smile:....

Is this a reason to cheat customers who are not Thai, who look rich or whatever the driver thinks or perhaps who look a bit naïve like maybe myself?....Do you think that this is an excuse for the taxi cheats to refuse to turn on the meter, and cheat people, my dear fellow?..Well sorry, but I will never accept, and always jump into the next taxi....

"and always jump into the next taxi..'  that's what I do in Bangkok. But we do not really have that option in Phuket.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Because this happened/is happening in Phuket. And the thread is in the Phuket forum.

Let's not 'confine' our thinking - there are many places with tuk tuk and taxis that need their backsides kicked :thumbsup:

I had the misfortune to drive across the top of Bangla last Saturday night about 10.45 pm.

About 5 lanes that gradually  reduced down to ONE LANE  there caused a large traffic jam.

The culprits were tuk tuk drivers , all jockeying to double and triple park right at the corner with Rat-U-Thit rd. and  Soi San Sabai. Not a  cop to be seen.

I thought the army had forgotten all about their commitment to cleaning up Patongs  streets.

I applaud their hard work !!

I certainly would go into Patong to shop and eat if there existed some public parking.

8 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I had the misfortune to drive across the top of Bangla last Saturday night about 10.45 pm.

About 5 lanes that gradually  reduced down to ONE LANE  there caused a large traffic jam.

The culprits were tuk tuk drivers , all jockeying to double and triple park right at the corner with Rat-U-Thit rd. and  Soi San Sabai. Not a  cop to be seen.

I thought the army had forgotten all about their commitment to cleaning up Patongs  streets.

I applaud their hard work !!

I certainly would go into Patong to shop and eat if there existed some public parking.

Business as usual. Low season never mind but in high season it is clogged.

Park at Jungcylon or at Loma.

17 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

"and always jump into the next taxi..'  that's what I do in Bangkok. But we do not really have that option in Phuket.

When you check for the price and get told 'no meter' walk away but just leave the back door on the first catch. The driver then has to get out of his seat to close the door. Small victory but!!!!

Edited by overherebc

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

When you check for the price and get told 'no meter' walk away but just leave the back door on the first catch. The driver then has to get out of his seat to close the door. Small victory but!!!!

You obviously have no idea about Phuket taxi/tuktuk drivers. They are easily provoked into violent actions.

54 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Fine them whit 10.000 Bath every time this Tuk Tuk parking wrong. 1000 Bath are small small money fore this Mafia people , then we can se what happen.

They won't even pay the 1,000 baht fine. Taxi mafia have bosses friends in high places.

18 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

They won't even pay the 1,000 baht fine. Taxi mafia have bosses friends in high places.

If they don`t pay, So take the Tuk Tuk AND driver License from them fore about 6 month, then you can se what happen  LivinginKata.  :)

Edited by nasa123

18 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Correct.

Fines that will never be paid, and revoked licenses won't stop anything. They would likely continue to drive with unpaid fines and without a license.

The only solution would be to impound the vehicle - causing an immediate loss of income, which we all know isn't going to happen.