Thai/European passport holder teaching in Thailand

PaddyThai

My 19 y.o. daughter has just finished High school here in Ireland and would like to work for a year before going to college. She has a Iris (European) passport and a Thai passport. One option she is considering is doing a Cambridge TEFL course at University here and then going to teach in Thailand for a year. 
She should not have any problems with visas or Work Permit but I wonder are we missing something here.
I should mention that I taught English in Thailand for many years about 20 years ago and married a Thai lady :)

I would be interested to hear your views.
Thanks

The only issue is if she looks Thai/Asian and at 19 she may face age discrimination. Thai schools (at least government schools) may be reticent to hire a NES teacher who does not look western. I know it's ridiculous but reality. I would target International schools if she gets a CELTA from Cambridge as that is a very well respected credential.

Best Bet: Kindergarten Teacher due to her age and also they pay more for young women teachers.

She simply doesn't qualify for a regular teaching job as she doesn't have a university degree yet. TEFL or CELTA will come in handy, but are not enough to get a waiver for the teaching license. That is a requirement for Foreigners and Thais alike.

But not sure if the teaching license requirement also applies to kindergarten. Options where a teaching license is not required are university, non-formal education and language schools/tutoring schools. 

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking she might be better off initially getting work in one of the Rajaphat colleges upcountry which often provide accommodation. She should befriend the students and have a bit of a social life in an area less intense than Bangkok or other Cities. She might teach privately as well and may move to a City once she's aclimatised.
I am now also looking at arranging for her to take up a volunteer teaching position where the organisation would take care of her initial needs and she might teach privately for cash flow. 

8 hours ago, Preacher said:

She simply doesn't qualify for a regular teaching job as she doesn't have a university degree yet. TEFL or CELTA will come in handy, but are not enough to get a waiver for the teaching license. That is a requirement for Foreigners and Thais alike.

But not sure if the teaching license requirement also applies to kindergarten. Options where a teaching license is not required are university, non-formal education and language schools/tutoring schools. 

It does also apply to kindergarten.

12 hours ago, Preacher said:

Yes..sorry I thought she graduated uni early....reading skills not good in the morning.

It's worth a shot, since she has dual nationality, but she may have a few problems in the education field.   First, there is discrimination against Asian teachers.   They often want to pay them the Thai salary, or slightly higher, but not the Farang salary.   We had a young man who was a Thai/US national.  He was born in the US, attended school exclusively in the US, including a full University degree.   He was hired for 5,000 baht less than other Farang and 3,000 less than Farang teachers with no degree.

If she doesn't need the money, and is only looking for experience, then definitely go for it.   If money is a factor, then be cautious.  

They will want to work her and pay her as a Thai. I'd try China on the European passport. Imo it will be a huge struggle for her to settle in to a decent job with mediocre pay. I know this as fact. 

Thai teachers also have a heavier workload and responsibilities 

Scott's teacher is one of the lucky ones

On 8/29/2017 at 5:07 AM, ozmeldo said:

They will want to work her and pay her as a Thai. I'd try China on the European passport. Imo it will be a huge struggle for her to settle in to a decent job with mediocre pay. I know this as fact. 

China has just changed the laws and I don't think that a 19-year-old without a BA would have many chances to find a decent job.

On 8/27/2017 at 6:08 PM, PaddyThai said:

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking she might be better off initially getting work in one of the Rajaphat colleges upcountry which often provide accommodation. She should befriend the students and have a bit of a social life in an area less intense than Bangkok or other Cities. She might teach privately as well and may move to a City once she's aclimatised.
I am now also looking at arranging for her to take up a volunteer teaching position where the organisation would take care of her initial needs and she might teach privately for cash flow. 

The senior students at Rajabhat are 18, or older. Sorry, but having a European daddy doesn't really qualify to be a teacher. Your daughter is young enough to go for a BA in education. Everything else is not what you're looking for. 

Thank you Jenny. In my experience the value of Native speakers is that they give Thais an opportunity to practice what they have learnt since starting school. Schools do not necessarily hire Native speakers to formally teach English. They desperately need to practice the language with a native speaker and opinion a young person of similar age to the students has more potential than an older person with a BA in education. 

I do agree that she would need some training in actually helping a class of young people to practice speaking English

On 8/29/2017 at 5:07 AM, ozmeldo said:

Then she would be on a winner, as all the Thais at my place earn more than I do.

Archived