Thai Wife's Plane Tickets - Which Name(s) to Use - Married or Maiden?

Hello,

Here's my situation.  I married a Thai woman living here in America.  I'm in the process of getting her a green card (permanent resident card).  Hopefully we'll have it in a couple months.  Once she gets her green card, I want to buy her a round trip plane ticket to Thailand so she can visit her family.  It's been 6 years since she's been back.  She overstayed her visa 6 years ago.

My question concerns the fact that in America, her last name is my last name, but her Thai Passport, which she recently renewed at the Thai Consulate, uses her maiden name.  When it comes to buying a round trip plane ticket from the USA to Thailand and back, what name must be printed on the ticket?  I'm anticipating a problem since she will have a green card with my last name, but a Thai Passport with her maiden name.

I'm thinking she must leave the USA with her Thai Passport using her maiden name on the plane ticket.  Then she must leave Thailand with her USA green card using my last name on her plane ticket.  If so, I must buy her two one way tickets.  Is that correct?  I'd much rather buy her a single round trip ticket if possible.

Please advise.  Many thanks.

WT

Book the plane ticket with the same name as the passport. As far as I'm aware you won't be able to leave a foreign (not Canada) country with a green card so she would leave Thailand with her Thai passport and then enter the US with her green card. However, to be safe, I would have some documentation that confirms her name change i.e. a piece of paper that states her old surname has been changed to the new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the past 45  years My wifes Thai MAIDEN name is on the ticket same as her Thai passport,she shows both Thai and US passport at BKK airline CHECKIN counter .Show only Thai passport to Thai immigration. Leaving US show Thai passport and enter Thailand on Thai passport..Never any issue/problem

Lefty

I am a bit confused as to why the names are different. After my wife got married she changed all of her documents to my last name. If you did not get legally married, then I wonder why the Green Card is in your last name? 

The Ticket should be in the name on the Passport. I assume some Visa to enter the USA will also be in this Passport. So to be able to get on this flight she would not have to even produce her Green Card. 

Where any problems that may occure could happen when she arrives in the USA at Immigration. A Visa to enter a country does not guarantee entry. Having an Overstay there 6 years ago could and most likely would, bring up a Red Flag in her name. A Green Card in a different name, may bring up more questions for them than answers. 

I think the Long Term solution is to get all of her documents in one name. Could she not get her Green Card in her Maiden Name, and then change that and her Passport, once she is living in the USA? 

Thanks for the information thus far.  A little clarification is in order.

My Thai wife and I were married 4 months ago in California where we both reside.  At the time of marriage she took my last name.  She submitted the Green Card application using my last name.  In a couple of months she should have a green card with my surname. 

Unfortunately, she cannot change the name on her passport in the United States.  For that she must travel to Thailand and go through a long series of steps.  That is a discussion for a new thread.  We visited the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and they would not change the name on  her Thai Passport.

I checked the prices of airfare today and see that a one way ticket from Los Angeles to BKK costs the same as a round trip ticket.  So in effect, I must pay double the going rate for her to visit Thailand until I have her name changed on her Thai passport.  As far as I know, I must buy her a ticket using her maiden name to fly from LAX to BKK and then another ticket to fly from BKK to LAX using my surname.  I'm wondering if there is a way around this rather expensive dilemma? 

Am I correct in saying she must leave LAX with a ticket printed with her maiden name since it matches her passport?  Or can she leave LAX with a ticket using my surname since it matches her green card.  I'm of the opinion that the US green card does not hold any significance when it comes to traveling internationally.  For that one must use a passport.  Am I correct?

Once in Thailand we will go through the long series of steps to register our marriage and change the name on her passport to my surname.

Many thanks for your consideration.

WT

4 minutes ago, wtboatr said:

Thanks for the information thus far.  A little clarification is in order.

My Thai wife and I were married 4 months ago in California where we both reside.  At the time of marriage she took my last name.  She submitted the Green Card application using my last name.  In a couple of months she should have a green card with my surname. 

Unfortunately, she cannot change the name on her passport in the United States.  For that she must travel to Thailand and go through a long series of steps.  That is a discussion for a new thread.  We visited the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and they would not change the name on  her Thai Passport.

I checked the prices of airfare today and see that a one way ticket from Los Angeles to BKK costs the same as a round trip ticket.  So in effect, I must pay double the going rate for her to visit Thailand until I have her name changed on her Thai passport.  As far as I know, I must buy her a ticket using her maiden name to fly from LAX to BKK and then another ticket to fly from BKK to LAX using my surname.  I'm wondering if there is a way around this rather expensive dilemma? 

Am I correct in saying she must leave LAX with a ticket printed with her maiden name since it matches her passport?  Or can she leave LAX with a ticket using my surname since it matches her green card.  I'm of the opinion that the US green card does not hold any significance when it comes to traveling internationally.  For that one must use a passport.  Am I correct?

Once in Thailand we will go through the long series of steps to register our marriage and change the name on her passport to my surname.

Many thanks for your consideration.

WT

I am very surprised that your wife can't change the name in her Passport in the USA after she got married there. Which just shows I learn something new every day. 

Having said that I would not buy 2 separate tickets. As you said, a One Way Ticket is almost as expensive as a Two Way Ticket. There is 2 forms of I.D. that I know of, that the airline will accept as proof when using your ticket. In which the name must match the ticket name. Your Passport! Or the Visa Card which purchased that ticket. I have always used my Passport. 

I don't see a problem with your wife using her Old Passport, and getting the tickets in that name. Even if she gets a New Passport while in Thailand she can still use her Old Passport coming back. She obviously is in the States legally on her Old Passport, so I don't see a problem with Immigration. As someone pointed out, it wouldn't hurt to carry a copy of your marriage certificate, and your citizenship in the USA. That letter from the Thai Consulate might be useful to. 

Keep in mind you are going to need this documentation to register your marriage in Thailand. I wonder if it is not just easier getting married in Thailand and doing that then going the other route with these documents. Maybe somebody else can comment on that, who has done this recently. I wish I could remember how long it took my wife to get her New Passport here after she changed it. 

1 hour ago, wtboatr said:

We visited the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and they would not change the name on  her Thai Passport.

The problem is the name attached to her ID number can only be changed at amphur where your wife is registered. Once the ID card is changed then the passport can be changed.

• Like 1

Wait until she gets the green card,than apply for US passport.

than she can leave on US passport,and enter Thailand on Thai passport.

my friends wife still maintains passport in maiden name Thai.

and has Australian passport in married name.

6 minutes ago, willr said:

She will not be able to get a US passport until she applies for US citizenship and it is approved.

6 minutes ago, willr said:

In the US they only issue US Passports to US citizens, not green card holders..  

36 minutes ago, willr said:

She'd have to wait 3 years for a US passport after getting a green card. I think the OP wants her to travel sooner than that.

She needs to have the name on her ticket, in whichever direction she's travelling, matching the name in her passport. For the return leg she should carry documentation which links her Thai I/d to her Green card I/d. Best to check with the airline what they will accept.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

When I married my wife in the UK she had her name changed in her Thai passport at the Royal Thai Embassy in London - I think it was only an endorsement but this was sufficient for the airline. We actually went to the Embassy but I believe it could be done by post. However, this was 8 years ago so I expect rules may have changed. The airline ticket must match the name in the passport as this is part of the anti terrorism rules called Advanced Passenger Information. I suggest you contact The Royal Thai Embassy in Washington for advice - consulates have limited powers in this area.

I am facing the same dilemma. Also found out that her passport name can only be changed in Thailand. We want to go back next summer, so I'll  be following this post. I was thinking of calling the airline and see if they can do the boarding passes in one last name for the one flight and the other name for the return flight. Or hope they give back the old passport when it is changed and she could use her old one with maiden name for this trip. But If I buy the ticket in her maiden name and she doesn't get her old passport back we'd be screwed. Never thought of the buying 2 one way tickets, but I know that would be the last option as of the extra expense.

We have a very similar situation to the OP's.

My wife's US passport carries her married surname (mine), while her Thai passport carries her maiden surname. Thankfully, her maiden surname is relatively short, so she used that as her middle name on her US documents (green card, social security card, and then US passport).

When traveling round-trip from the US to Thailand, I always book her ticket using the name that matches her US passport.

When checking in for the flight from the US to Thailand, she shows the airline her Thai passport to prove she doesn't need a visa. She always carries a copy of our marriage license in case the airline questions the name, but she's never been asked for it. When entering Thailand, she shows Thai immigration her Thai passport. Never any problems.

When returning to the US, and checking in for the Thailand to US flight, she shows the airline her US passport to prove she's legally allowed to enter the US. When passing through Thai immigration on the way to the gate, she shows her Thai passport because you must leave on the same passport that you arrived on.

We've been doing this for years, and have never had any problems. Some may question why have different names on the Thai and US passports? The simple answer is that having a Thai name on the Thai ID and Thai passport avoids a lot of needless hassle in business and government transactions conducted in Thailand.

40 minutes ago, DrDave said:

We have a very similar situation to the OP's.

It's not similar. The OP's problem is that his wife is not a US citizen, she's only in the process of acquiring a Green Card which is in her married name, and her only travel document is her Thai passport bearing her Thai family name.

Dual nationals with passports for both their nationalities are easily able to travel between their two countries in the way you describe. I agree with your last sentence that it's easier for Thai citizens resident in Thailand to retain their Thai name on their Thai documents even if they have a different name on their other national passport. This, however, is no longer an option for UK passport applicants who also have a foreign passport. The names in both now have to be the same. For that reason my wife is now abandoning our married surname so that she can renew her UK passport with the surname in her Thai passport. It's easier doing that than changing everything from Tabien Baan to bank accounts to utility accounts etc.

59 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It's not similar. The OP's problem is that his wife is not a US citizen, she's only in the process of acquiring a Green Card which is in her married name, and her only travel document is her Thai passport bearing her Thai family name.

Dual nationals with passports for both their nationalities are easily able to travel between their two countries in the way you describe. I agree with your last sentence that it's easier for Thai citizens resident in Thailand to retain their Thai name on their Thai documents even if they have a different name on their other national passport. This, however, is no longer an option for UK passport applicants who also have a foreign passport. The names in both now have to be the same. For that reason my wife is now abandoning our married surname so that she can renew her UK passport with the surname in her Thai passport. It's easier doing that than changing everything from Tabien Baan to bank accounts to utility accounts etc.

It *is* a very similar situation.

For the purpose of international travel, a US Green Card is basically equivalent to a US passport when returning to the US. A Green Card allows the holder to travel internationally and return to the United States. My wife did this using her Green Card (which like the US passport she later obtained upon gaining citizenship, was in her married name). In addition, some countries accept a Green Card in lieu of a US passport upon entry. The only significant difference is that if a Green Card holder remains outside of the US for an extended period without prior approval (6 months or more), US immigration may consider that to be intent to relinquish permanent residence status, and confiscate the Green Card upon return.

Rubbish. Name one country that accepts a "green card" without passport upon entry. (Not Mexico or Canada land border, or Carribean cruose ships) It is not proof of Citizenship. It is not a valid international ID. A green card will be accepted by a boarding airline as proof for visa free travel go the US but the check in staff will need to see a passport also. Same for airport security.

• Like 1

Curious -- did she get a waiver already?  I am confused because I believe you said she overstayed for 6-years and you got married a couple months ago and then applied for green card.  Unless you received a waiver I would expect you are not only not going to get a Green Card but she is going to be barred from entering the USA for 10-years due to the overstay.  

Even if she got a provisional waiver, which I believe she can only do if married to you already, she would have had to return to Thailand at some point and you are saying she has not been back for 6-years. This makes me also think you are going to be in for a rude awakening on the Green Card. Unless I am missing something, I suggest you look into this and possibly contact an attorney. 

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

On 8/29/2017 at 4:15 PM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Rubbish. Name one country that accepts a "green card" without passport upon entry. (Not Mexico or Canada land border, or Carribean cruose ships) It is not proof of Citizenship. It is not a valid international ID. A green card will be accepted by a boarding airline as proof for visa free travel go the US but the check in staff will need to see a passport also. Same for airport security.

I stated that "some countries will accept a Green Card in lieu of a US passport", meaning that for the purpose of determining entry eligibility, the Green Card is equivalent to a US passport. Of course, they may also require a passport from the Green Card holder's native country, but we're talking about the specific need for a US passport here.

My wife boarded a Caribbean cruise departing from the US in 2009 using her Green Card. To be honest, I don't recall whether she also had to show her Thai passport, but at the time, she did not hold a US passport, and had no problem using her Green Card in lieu of a US passport.

And yes, rules have changed over the years for re-entry to the US for Green Card holders. They must now also show a passport. Any valid passport. Obviously not a US passport since the Green Card is surrendered when the applicant receives their US citizenship, and they therefore wouldn't be re-entering with a Green Card.

Also, maybe things have changed in the past few years, but I've crossed into Mexico via the land at the Chula Vista crossing many times with absolutely no ID required on the Mexican side. Not even a checkpoint.

On 27/08/2017 at 7:58 PM, wtboatr said:

When it comes to buying a round trip plane ticket from the USA to Thailand and back, what name must be printed on the ticket?  I'm anticipating a problem since she will have a green card with my last name, but a Thai Passport with her maiden name.

Your plane ticket must always match that of your passport or the airline could refuse boarding

There is very little difference between a one way and airways return ticket

Just carry relevant documentation for when re-entering  USA  in case of any queries from immigration

I stated that "some countries will accept a Green Card in lieu of a US passport", meaning that for the purpose of determining entry eligibility, the Green Card is equivalent to a US passport. Of course, they may also require a passport from the Green Card holder's native country, but we're talking about the specific need for a US passport here.

My wife boarded a Caribbean cruise departing from the US in 2009 using her Green Card. To be honest, I don't recall whether she also had to show her Thai passport, but at the time, she did not hold a US passport, and had no problem using her Green Card in lieu of a US passport.

And yes, rules have changed over the years for re-entry to the US for Green Card holders. They must now also show a passport. Any valid passport. Obviously not a US passport since the Green Card is surrendered when the applicant receives their US citizenship, and they therefore wouldn't be re-entering with a Green Card.

Also, maybe things have changed in the past few years, but I've crossed into Mexico via the land at the Chula Vista crossing many times with absolutely no ID required on the Mexican side. Not even a checkpoint.

Yes. Things have changed in TJ. One can't just cross through the gate anymore from the US to Mexico. One must now go through Mexican immigration to enter the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I sent an email to the Thai embassy in Washington DC regarding my situation. I'm not hopeful they will ever respond. It was worth a try. I'll give them a call soon to hear what they say.

Here's what I'm planning on doing for my upcoming trip. I'll purchase a round trip ticket from LAX to BKK using my wife's maiden name. There will be no issues leaving the USA. On the return trip my wife will present her passport, her marriage certificate, and her Green Card. I don't know yet if this will be OK but I'll give it a try. My backup plan at that point would be to buy her a one way ticket. A seat will be available since she's holding the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk