Bus plan slashes collectors, offers Bt1-million package

webfact

Bus plan slashes collectors, offers Bt1-million package

By The Nation

ea6473c5aa42827ec6c682e1c10678d0.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- Bus-fare collectors in the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority’s (BMTA) fleet may bag Bt1 million each if they sign up for its upcoming early-retirement programme.

BMTA acting director Yook Jarupume revealed Monday that his agency would seek Bt2 billion in the 2018 fiscal year’s budget for the early retirement of about 2,000 fare collectors.

The 2018 fiscal year will start on October 1 next year. 

Yook said the BMTA intends to cut the number of fare collectors in response to a new ticketing system that will soon be installed on some buses and would not require collectors. 

At present, the BMTA fleet has an average of about 4.8 fare collectors per bus. It believes the number of fare collectors will be cut in half by 2019.

“The move will allow the BMTA to lower its costs,” Yook said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30325152

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-29

The government doesn't have this kind of money to be throwing around. These collectors have known that their days were numbered for at least a year. Some (if qualified) should become bus drivers since there is a big shortage for that position. 

I just can't wait to experience the new 'system.' LOS, of all places, ought to adhere to the adage, "If it works (even remotely), don't fix it." It won't, of course, but it certainly should. For what they pay these people, they should be glad they have them and do everything they can to keep them. Add one more obstacle, for example, "Exact fare required," and public transport suddenly becomes entirely aversive. Unwise, to say the least. 

Using automated payment doesn't work for buses here where passengers board and alights everywhere, even at the middle of roads. Educating the drivers to stop at designated bus stops and improve safety should be the main priorities.

In a former life I was a Clippie (Bus Conductor) it was a good job, I got to meet some very nice people who were regulars on the route that I worked, I remember meeting a very nice (I thought) American couple and blamed them for Mount St Helen's, turns out they were Canadians :smile: Anyway I digress, the bus company decided to go to One Man Operated buses or OMO which effectively reduced the workforce by 50%, so I trained up and did that for a few years before I found another job. Unfortunately it's called progress and happens everywhere, even Thailand occasionally :whistling: 

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

In a former life I was a Clippie (Bus Conductor) it was a good job, I got to meet some very nice people who were regulars on the route that I worked, I remember meeting a very nice (I thought) American couple and blamed them for Mount St Helen's, turns out they were Canadians :smile: Anyway I digress, the bus company decided to go to One Man Operated buses or OMO which effectively reduced the workforce by 50%, so I trained up and did that for a few years before I found another job. Unfortunately it's called progress and happens everywhere, even Thailand occasionally :whistling: 

I bet you met some real characters