Behold, BTS to get more expensive in October

webfact

Behold, BTS to get more expensive in October

By Coconuts Bangkok 

bts.jpg

A BTS train enters the On Nut station. Photo: My Train Pix/ Flickr

BANGKOK: -- From Oct. 1, it will cost you a few coins more to catch the BTS. The transportation company that runs the skytrain system has announced it will increase the fares by THB1-3 for the main Sukhumvit and Silom lines in exchange for more trains and a better ticketing system.

Surapong Laoha-Unya, Director of Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited, said the organization has purchased 46 more trains, which will arrive Thailand in the beginning of next year while the ticket vending machines will be replaced with the ones with touch screens — some of these machines will accept notes.

Surapong added that the BTS fares have not been adjusted in 4 years, while its operation cost has been continuingly increased, Matichon reported.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/behold-bts-get-expensive-october/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-08-29

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

Should install more ticket barriers and improve service with the price increase. The service is getting worse lately due to increasing ridership. 

The MRT has more efficient services than the BTS. The MRT cashiers will give you a token, whereas BTS cashiers just give you change so you have to wait in 2 or 3 long lines (one to enter the platform). It's inefficient but TIT!!!

Something to understand is that, in the world of mass-transit, we really don't want single-ride ticket sales. They are expensive to service (manpower, change, filling machines etc etc) we would much rather everyone used stored value / trip based tickets so maximum convenience for single-ride isn't a great priority.

Indeed, a system I did for Chiang Mai BRT some years back (which never got built) didn't have single-ride at all, it was deemed cheaper (verified by CMU) to give everyone registered in CM a smart-card which could have single-rides, trip or stored value loaded on it (pretty much what Rabbit does). Tourists could buy Tourist Cards to keep as souvenirs.

1 hour ago, barefootbangkok said:

The MRT has more efficient services than the BTS. The MRT cashiers will give you a token, whereas BTS cashiers just give you change so you have to wait in 2 or 3 long lines (one to enter the platform). It's inefficient but TIT!!!

The MRT also operates a discount system for the more 'mature' of us no matter their nationality, whereas the BTS operates a racist Thai-only policy.

And the refusal of BTS cashiers to sell you a one-ride ticket is truly bizarre. What is the logic of that? Sorry, I said logic and we're in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The MRT also operates a discount system for the more 'mature' of us no matter their nationality, whereas the BTS operates a racist Thai-only policy.

And the refusal of BTS cashiers to sell you a one-ride ticket is truly bizarre. What is the logic of that? Sorry, I said logic and we're in Thailand.

We were in Bangkok earlier this month. There was my wife, myself and our child. I approached the ticket counter at National Stadium and asked how much it would cost to go to Sala Deang and was told 75 baht. I thought we would get change but were given tickets. 

4 hours ago, ripstanley said:

We were in Bangkok earlier this month. There was my wife, myself and our child. I approached the ticket counter at National Stadium and asked how much it would cost to go to Sala Deang and was told 75 baht. I thought we would get change but were given tickets. 

Someone must have misunderstood something. As has been pointed out, the BTS don't give tickets; you queue up for change that, in most countries, would be dispensed by a machine.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

7 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Someone must have misunderstood something. As has been pointed out, the BTS don't give tickets; you queue up for change that, in most countries, would be dispensed by a machine.

Might have been a multi-ride ticket (card). Must have been.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Might have been a multi-ride ticket (card). Must have been.

The tickets given to us were single ride only. I was surprised as well. I asked the cost because I was not sure how much for our boy. I handed over 100 baht expecting change and was given the tickets.

48 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

The tickets given to us were single ride only. I was surprised as well. I asked the cost because I was not sure how much for our boy. I handed over 100 baht expecting change and was given the tickets.

BTS ticket offices do indeed hand out tickets on occasion, particularly if the operator is training (they have to practice using the equipment in case all the automatic stuff fails). You got lucky :smile: