Pattaya tunnel: motorbikes and speedsters openly disobeying the law

webfact

17 minutes ago, smedly said:

...........but why in the modern world were Thailand keeps claiming to be a leader are they so far behind  

It's called positive thinking. At least they have their own people convinced.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Hahaha.. And they really thought that Thais would follow the rules :cheesy:

ooops, I was travelling the other direction yesterday and went through the tunnel on my bike. I seriously did not see a sign saying no bikes. I was distracted by other misspelt signs. Actually why should bikes not be allowed, they contribute 25% of traffic?

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can anyone think of any logical reason why Motocycles cannot use the tunnel ?

So that police can monitor the exit lanes, when they feel like it, and make some pocket money. Once they've got some money out of this place they move on to another place where they can make a few baht. Thai logic........never stop completely the goose that lays the golden baht. It's bad for business.

Anybody not going through the tunnel please be careful heading south bound, its Choas.  First you have Vans stopping to drop off passengers on the side of the road, to which immediately afterwards you have a bus station dropping people off, followed by three lane turns of buses turning outwards then inwards to their parking soi. to which at this point you have high speed vehicles traveling out from under the underpass to immediately changing 4 lanes to the left to make the soi Khoa Noi.  It's a joy this construction project.  Please extend barriers from the underpass past soi Kho Noi on Sukhumvit

to prevent this being the next great white road graffiti site.   

9 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

wow, I did not know that, do you have a link to the news article ?

The restrictions are, in fact, there for a good reason too. So far, the extractor fans inside the tunnel, which are there to get rid of all the emission gasses from the high volume of vehicles using the tunnel are not working.

Gas levels were recently tested and results came back confirming that gas levels were well above what would be classed as “safe to breath”.

From Pattaya One, 

Police repeat restrictions for Pattaya underpass

1 minute ago, Proud Father said:

The restrictions are, in fact, there for a good reason too. So far, the extractor fans inside the tunnel, which are there to get rid of all the emission gasses from the high volume of vehicles using the tunnel are not working.

Gas levels were recently tested and results came back confirming that gas levels were well above what would be classed as “safe to breath”.

From Pattaya One, 

Police repeat restrictions for Pattaya underpass

Thanks, I found the article, so the tunnel is not safe but rather than close they just restricting who can and cannot use it. Amazing Thailand !!

So once the fans are operation the motorbike restriction will be lifted then ?

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

ooops, I was travelling the other direction yesterday and went through the tunnel on my bike. I seriously did not see a sign saying no bikes. I was distracted by other misspelt signs. Actually why should bikes not be allowed, they contribute 25% of traffic?

Because they contribute to 80% of road fatalities. 

speed limit of 80 km/h is a joke anyway, should be 60 km/h, particularly as most Thais living in this area have very little experience with tunnels and I have no doubt the motocy juveniles just love such an opportunity to perform races down/up the tunnel as often as possible

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can anyone think of any logical reason why Motocycles cannot use the tunnel ?

The road has an 80kmh speed limit, a speed which any motorcycle and readily achieve... I just don't understand why motorcycles of any type would be prevented from passing through the tunnel.

Some of these road regulations seem to exists simply because they exist elsewhere... 

... 'The Five Monkeys in a Cage' scenario...

... The most damaging phrase "Its always been done like that" which kneecaps any intelligent logic or argument... 

The law preventing motorcycle from using tunnels and overpass was from an age where the mopeds of the '60s would be lucky if it could push pass 40. 

but you do see some idiots that ride slowly about 30kph clogging up the road and filtering through traffic unsafely  

Just now, digbeth said:

The law preventing motorcycle from using tunnels and overpass was from an age where the mopeds of the '60s would be lucky if it could push pass 40. 

but you do see some idiots that ride slowly about 30kph clogging up the road and filtering through traffic unsafely  

and they mostly have 3 wheels and a burning BBQ on the back.

Just how does everyone think the police could be deployed to stop bikes ? Can you imagine the turmoil if any sort of check point was set up at either end of the tunnel with traffic zooming by at 80km or more ? The only way would be a camera and subsequent fines as exist on some highways.

I have yet to hear a report on how things are going overhead, namely traffic lights. Is Klang traffic able to get more directly to NPW or SSCC now? Can you get from NPW to Klang without using the u-turn below  Khao Noi?

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

5 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I have yet to hear a report on how things are going overhead, namely traffic lights. Is Klang traffic able to get more directly to NPW or SSCC now? Can you get from NPW to Klang without using the u-turn below  Khao Noi?

To get to NPW from klang you would turn left onto Suk and make the U-turn just before the SSCC lights, can't see why that would be an issue at all.

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

To get to NPW from klang you would turn left onto Suk and make the U-turn just before the SSCC lights, can't see why that would be an issue at all.

Very good. I will be back in town next week to check it all out. Nothing like a hands-on run. But I'm not that optimistic that it will be any better than before the Great White Elephant Tunnel. Seems like the winners are the through-traffic drivers.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:20 PM, impulse said:

If only someone would invent some way to take pictures of the license plates of speeding vehicles and those that drive where they're not supposed to be...

That of course depends on if they have a license plate, or those that do are registered!