Penang visa

The time is upon me to start thinking about where to go to get a new 60 day visa to stay in thailand.

Penang is appealing to me as I want some great food but also cost wise it seems good value.

I have never done vientiAnne,  any wise words on that option?

Penang was a breeze before, stayed in Georgetown, chula mansion. Great wifi and an easy visa process with a fast turn around of 1 day.

Not heard of any issues with PNG but if anyone has recent info I am all ears.

Viemtianne logistically maybe makes more sense as I'm in North East thailand but I've never done it and saw a few mixed feelings about that particular visa extension route.

I am also really up for a great curry hence penang.

You had it right the first time.  Georgetown is the easiest option.  Fly Air Asia for 3000 baht RT and stay at  Chulia Mansion for two nights at $35 or so per night.     You will arrive around 1900 on the first night and use the visa service next to the hotel. It was $10 and they do the work for you.   Check out at noon two days later pick up your 60 day visa and fly back to Don Muang.   The entire trip was about $200 US but that included dining out.  

None of the requirements listed above were asked of me.    I wont return to Vientiane,  long lines when I was there and third world infrastructure.

Edited by 67Vagabond
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 67Vagabond said:

None of the requirements listed above were asked of me.

When was the last time you applied? I wrote the current requirements.

5 minutes ago, 67Vagabond said:

And Vietiane had long lines when I was there.

That depends upon what day you were there. Monday and Thursday are bad days since those are the days the visa run vans arrive.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe, it's been 8 months since I was there.    Maybe things have changed.     I used the visa service next to the Chulia Mansion hotel.   If memory serves me correct I filled out a form and gave the young guy a passport photo and 40 ringgit.   I was uneasy about leaving my passport with a stranger but two days later it was returned with a 60 day visa. 

I applied in Singapore last year and was asked for a forward airline ticket.     I'm currently on a 90 visa issued in Portland Oregon by far the easiest place I've ever gotten a visa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks chaps. I am sure this vientienne place is fine but the info is pretty bare. I never done a visa van and never see hotels etc being mentioned. I don't want to be going out and coming back with 24 hours, looks a bit dodgy IMO. Will do the trip over 3/4 days. Chula is decent and the restaurants up the rd are awesome.

48 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks chaps. I am sure this vientienne place is fine but the info is pretty bare. I never done a visa van and never see hotels etc being mentioned. I don't want to be going out and coming back with 24 hours, looks a bit dodgy IMO. Will do the trip over 3/4 days. Chula is decent and the restaurants up the rd are awesome.

What's dodgy about going out and coming back in 24 hours?

Actually you leave Thailand at 6 am the first morning and enter again around 3pm the next afternoon, there is nothing wrong with using Vientianne for a TV, hundreds do it every week

All the info you need is on ThaiVisaService, they run a great service

• Like 1

I am go by Chu-chu :-) sleeping train from Pattaya by bus via Bangkok by train to Penang to getting thai-visa for 60 days and ext. on Pattaya immigration for 30 day, 3x times I went in 2016. Penang wants tickets out of the country (sufficiently if have train ticket...**at first I been on Penang visa run..they ask me if I got fly-out, which I haven't and they want to charge 300 Bht and + 2,000 Bahts extra for  to make temp-fly-out, so I went alone in Thai consulate),  proof of accommodations (which at first time I haven't I just write an address) and financial proof (sufficiently if have bank statement of your country min 20,000 Bahts/mo... *if have ebank than print-copy statement..no need to ask the bank to send letter print-copy of statement). To get visa in Penang 1,500 Baht. Visa Malaysia it's free. All together ccm 7,000 Baht and 6 days trip.

In 2017 I been in Vientiane Laos 3 times by tour-bus for thai-visa. 407 Pattaya Bus it's located in Pattayaklang-Sukhumvit, near Mosque and St. Nikolaus Church.
In this year Vientiane getting M-point-shop which it's same as TH Family-mart. And Vientiane got more restaurant with farang food but it's much more expensive than Penang. To get thai-visa in Vientiane 1,000 Baht. Lao-Visa it's 1,500 Bahts but I am bring 30 USD for it, which it's much chipper to pay in USD than in THB.  Cost-Sum 3,000 Bahts and 3 days trip.

Just now, darrendsd said:

What's dodgy about going out and coming back in 24 hours?

Actually you leave Thailand at 6 am the first morning and enter again around 3pm the next afternoon, there is nothing wrong with using Vientianne for a TV, hundreds do it every week

All the info you need is on ThaiVisaService, they run a great service

Err it looks very much like you are doing a visa run which is something they have attempted to stop.

13 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Err it looks very much like you are doing a visa run which is something they have attempted to stop.

Err yes you are doing a visa run,

Immigration at Nong Khai know the time everyone leaves and they know the time everyone comes back, they have NO issue with people doing visa runs there,

I myself have done 4 visa trips there over the last 18 months, hundreds do it every week

The problems you have heard about are at the Airports, they are not at Nong Khai border crossing

You will have no issues because nobody has issues there, if everybody  had issues then the visa vans would not go there

Take it from somebody who has actually been there, you will have no problems,

The Airports are where problems are occurring, in my view it's best to avoid them if you can

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Vientiane is actually pretty easy, though you will not find a hotel to match Chulia Mansion Hotel in Penang. Good food is available (though you need to search it out). On the plus side, large bottles of Beer Lao are 40 baht at the cheaper locals' oriented eating/drinking places. Getting there and back is easy from most parts of Thailand. You cannot (at least easily and cheaply) use agents, but apply at about 10:30 on Tuesday or Wednesday and collect around 14:00 the next day with no hassle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks chaps. I am sure this vientienne place is fine but the info is pretty bare.

Will do the trip over 3/4 days.

I'm in North East thailand

So, where are you in NET?

Do you have possibly your own transportation - to drive yourself,

or be driven by someone to Nong Khai-Vientiane or Mukdahan-Savannaketh?

Anyway - buses or trainm depending where you live bring you easy to your border town you choose. 

Do you not have also to fly to Bangkok - or take a long Bus or train ride to come to Don Muang - Bangkok?

So, cheaper - sure Vientiane or Mukdahan, depends where you living from the two. :wink:

Vientiane has good food is nice, check out, Chokdee and Via Via Restaurants, I both frequent

and Hotels in the 1.000 Baht range just around the corner on nice River side Promenade

with in the late afternoons,

a lot roadside - riverside Restaurants popping up, right on the Mekong with view to Nong Khai - I like - take your Gf :smile:  - 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g293950-Vientiane_Vientiane_Province.html

Visa - I come to Thai Consulate, around 11 AM and no long waiting time then.

When pick up Visa next day, come also more late, around 3+ PM - then most of the crowd gone - it goes by numbers.

I would any time go for Vientiane or Mukdahan, if I more near to that place.

Mukdahan, very relaxed border - I used too, but was not at the Thai Consulate in Savannaketh there,

what I read - Consulate good place.

Penang - was only once - for a visit with family and -border run, not at the Consulate -

OK, but the capital was so traffic crowded, I did not like, but most of the island - ok for a short holiday, many attractions too!

Before I choose Penang, I would fly to Phnom Penh for some adventure nights, without Gf, :cowboy:

Have a good trip 

47 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Vientiane is actually pretty easy, though you will not find a hotel to match Chulia Mansion Hotel in Penang. Good food is available (though you need to search it out). On the plus side, large bottles of Beer Lao are 40 baht at the cheaper locals' oriented eating/drinking places. Getting there and back is easy from most parts of Thailand. You cannot (at least easily and cheaply) use agents, but apply at about 10:30 on Tuesday or Wednesday and collect around 14:00 the next day with no hassle.

Thanks Tim but I'll stick with penang the vientienne place sounds hit and miss. I don't fancy searching for food. Whilst it may seem convenient this van visa, it also sounds regimented and I hate rushing and being on someone else's clock. No offence to the visa vans I'm sure they do a great service but not for me.

• Like 1

Just now, ALFREDO said:

So, where are you in NET?

Do you have possibly your own transportation - to drive yourself,

or be driven by someone to Nong Khai-Vientiane or Mukdahan-Savannaketh?

Anyway - buses or trainm depending where you live bring you easy to your border town you choose. 

Do you not have also to fly to Bangkok - or take a long Bus or train ride to come to Don Muang - Bangkok?

So, cheaper - sure Vientiane or Mukdahan, depends where you living from the two. :wink:

Vientiane has good food is nice, check out, Chokdee and Via Via Restaurants, I both frequent

and Hotels in the 1.000 Baht range just around the corner on nice River side Promenade

with in the late afternoons,

a lot roadside - riverside Restaurants popping up, right on the Mekong with view to Nong Khai - I like - take your Gf :smile:  - 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g293950-Vientiane_Vientiane_Province.html

Visa - I come to Thai Consulate, around 11 AM and no long waiting time then.

When pick up Visa next day, come also more late, around 3+ PM - then most of the crowd gone - it goes by numbers.

I would any time go for Vientiane or Mukdahan, if I more near to that place.

Mukdahan, very relaxed border - I used too, but was not at the Thai Consulate in Savannaketh there,

what I read - Consulate good place.

Penang - was only once - for a visit with family and -border run, not at the Consulate -

OK, but the capital was so traffic crowded, I did not like, but most of the island - ok for a short holiday, many attractions too!

Before I choose Penang, I would fly to Phnom Penh for some adventure nights, without Gf, :cowboy:

Have a good trip 

Nice and informative but I really like the curry in Malaysia and I'm a boring fart. 1 woman for me is enough as is 1 leo a night but thanks maybe I'll give these places a shot once the kid has grown a bit. As a family of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Nice and informative but I really like the curry in Malaysia and I'm a boring fart. 1 woman for me is enough as is 1 leo a night but thanks maybe I'll give these places a shot once the kid has grown a bit. As a family of course.

The time is upon me to start thinking about where to go to get a new 60 day visa to stay in thailand.

You have a child with a Thai woman?

"once the kid has grown a bit. As a family of course."

If so, you should make a Non Immigrant -O- Visa = 3 month,

because having Thai child and living with it - can extend that for 60 days at a Thai Immigration near your living place and you could even extend now your stay for these 60 days for 1.900 Baht if you not have extended for 30 days already. :wink:

Edited by ALFREDO

Just now, ALFREDO said:

You have a child with a Thai woman?

"once the kid has grown a bit. As a family of course."

If so, you should make a Non Immigrant -O- Visa = 3 month,

because having Thai child and living with it - can extend that for 60 days at a Thai Immigration near your living place and you could even extend now your stay for these 60 days for 1.900 Baht if you not have already extended for 30 days already. :wink:

Appreciate the advice and yes that is the plan and child is fairly new hence not got it done but where I am it's 69km to nearest immigration to do that whereas we are 86km from khon kaen so the plan is to move to khon kaen pretty soon and process the EOS as a parent there. I could extend for 1900 but I'd prefer to have a 2 month windiw for the move rather than 30 days as we would need to give 30 days notice where we are currently. KK immigration are brilliant btw. Plan has always been to live in KK and my Mrs is a bit concerned about the drive to Sakho nakhon and we got the kid too. Plan was to just go to SN for 4 days and find out what exactly they want from us to complete this EOS besides the cash etc but KK immigration would be on our doorstep after the move and I get the impression they will bust a gut to get it done. 

13 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Appreciate the advice and yes that is the plan and child is fairly new hence not got it done but where I am it's 69km to nearest immigration to do that whereas we are 86km from khon kaen so the plan is to move to khon kaen pretty soon and process the EOS as a parent there. I could extend for 1900 but I'd prefer to have a 2 month windiw for the move rather than 30 days as we would need to give 30 days notice where we are currently. KK immigration are brilliant btw. Plan has always been to live in KK and my Mrs is a bit concerned about the drive to Sakho nakhon and we got the kid too. Plan was to just go to SN for 4 days and find out what exactly they want from us to complete this EOS besides the cash etc but KK immigration would be on our doorstep after the move and I get the impression they will bust a gut to get it done. 

I a bit confused from your writing , assume you not legally married

- I have a child in Chayaphum Province - was - is Kohn Kaen Immigration

and children in Udon Thani Province, about half way between Udon city and Sakhon Nakhon city.

Frequented both Immigrations, never a problem, best bring Gf with you and got me extensions and Non Immigrant O Visa outside Thailand too.

I have only birth certificate signed and with that and the paper which shows where I stay = copy blue book - now Gf house and  ID card copy from her and some copies of Passport pages I done.

Just made a new extension in Udon City Immigration today.

In my opinion no more papers needed and which Immigration I go to, depends where I stay - long time with my child, that could also be Immigration Phuket, where I made same extensions. 

Edited by ALFREDO

9 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

I a bit confused from your writing , assume you not legally married

- I have a child in Chayaphum Province - was - is Kohn Kaen Immigration

and children in Udon Thani Province, about half way between Udon city and Sakhon Nakhon city.

Frequented both Immigrations, never a problem, best bring Gf with you and got me extensions and Non Immigrant O Visa outside Thailand too.

I have only birth certificate signed and with that and the paper which shows where I stay = copy blue book - now Gf house and  ID card copy from her and some copies of Passport pages I done.

Just made a new extension in Udon City Immigration today.

In my opinion no more papers needed and which Immigration I go to, depends where I stay - long time with my child, that could also be Immigration Phuket, where I made same extensions. 

Ok I think I understand the points so I will try to explain.

Firstly here in 46000 kalasin where we have lived for 15 months they have limited services and nearest immigration for EOS is Sakhon nakhon. 69km away circa. The most I got was a yellow tabien and an ID from 46000.

We are not married as my better half is not yet divorced in thailand the same way as Japan recognise she is divorced. (She was married to a Japanese guy) 

The above issue is not important for me it just means I cannot marry her yet but her name is back to thai name officially. The rest we shall see but it's not a priority.

Ok so since Mrs discovered she was pregnant we have planned to live in KK.  Due to pregnancy we opted to stay put and rear the lad to a safe age for travel. I am overly cautious I make no apologies, I dislike rushing about.

So we got this far and the lads strapping (strong) or Stong as my Mrs says :-)

I got the 30 day extension at KK earlier this year. I was shocked at the officers excellent attitude. She began by telling me as I live in kalasin I need to apply at Sakhon nakhon for this extension. I quickly showed my Sons picture, she quickly found a solution. "Prove you are staying in KK and get the extension". 10 minutes later I got it by booking 1 night in Roma hotel, I did not stop there.

I probed the officer on the EOS as a parent she told me; Sakhon nakhon. I told her we plan to move to KK.  She advised show proof of rental contract for 12 months and it can be done.

I'm on the BC I have deposited the funds in a Thai bank in my name for over 4 months.

So in your view does that mean providing I have that 12 month contract to prove we reside in KK I can get this EOS and if so how fast do they process this application?

I have my BC too.

Any info greatly appreciated.

28 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

The most I got was a yellow tabien and an ID from 46000.

We are not married as my better half is not yet divorced in thailand 

I got the 30 day extension at KK earlier this year.  

She began by telling me as I live in kalasin I need to apply at Sakhon nakhon for this extension.

I probed the officer on the EOS as a parent she told me;   She advised show proof of rental contract for 12 months and it can be done.

I'm on the BC I have deposited the funds in a Thai bank in my name for over 4 months.

So in your view does that mean providing I have that 12 month contract to prove we reside in KK I can get this EOS and if so how fast do they process this application?

I have no ID? and no Yellow tabien, not married, but 4 children from 2 Thai Gf,

live good too, since 1998 in TH, first visit 1990 :wink:

You should have got a 60 days extension with the child and the birth certificate with your name in it, not only 30 days, your ROMA? Hotel stay should also have been good for that.

You can make an extension - there where you and your son is currently staying, living - say a white lie, lol -  can be a Hotel too, I think - so no reason to go far to make an extension.

12 month contract?

I never needed anything like that - even in Phuket Immigration - paper where I stay and in tow with Gf and child with me - extension also there no problem.

An extension of stay now for 60 days - staying and proofing that you stay together with your child in a place -  

also in a Hotel, should be ok, in my opinion - I made that in Khon Kaen Immigration!

A 1 year extension - for that you need the 400.000 Baht in Bank account - is more easy,

if you go for Non Immigrant O Visa in a Thai Consulate first and let that Visa then extend to a year. 

Ubon Joe - did answer you such similar question in one of your threads exactly already. 

:cowboy:

Edited by ALFREDO

Just now, ALFREDO said:

I have no ID? and no Yellow tabien, not married, but 4 children from 2 Thai Gf,

live good too, since 1998 in TH, first visit 1990 :wink:

You should have got a 60 days extension with the child and the birth certificate with your name in it, not only 30 days, your ROMA? Hotel stay should also have been good for

On 30/08/2017 at 6:31 PM, totally thaied up said:

Most dupes I have seen are from the bar or from girls that have been previously bar related. Over ten years, I have seen millions of baht drained from friends and much worse in hurt and corruption of the soul; once again, 95% of these people came from the bar or had some doing/activity with a bar. 

'It cannot happen to me'.

'I am too smart for this'.

'She loves me'.

'The family treats me as one of the fold'.

Lord, the list goes on and on and on. Wives when getting tired of the husband telling them to take the older sister on as a Mai Noi. Mostly from the bar. Others, if they did not spend money on the bar girl, they would have never stayed. I in the past have been guilty as charged on that count and it cost me money. I learned from that point on. 

As for myself, have been in hospital for two days being ultra loved and fussed over by the wife. Had to have a small thing done (gastroscopy). Starting to feel better now and happy to see everyone on this thread doing fine. We all have mucked up somehow, but we are making it to the end of each day. Only to look at Anne Boleyn; she had a messy ending but look at what Elizabeth, her daughter did. We can never be sure of the future; we are going to die, but none of us think it is going to be us that old Grim is looking for. I have made my bed here in Thailand, I have health problems, but I am sure I am going to die of natural causes.

I see my fair share of success stories; I have friends married to nurses, doctors, teachers, lawyers, and life is going well for them. My wife is educated, and I am so low-so (well not in education) that I cannot fit into most social groups. That is the only thing I do not like about my current life. Just the Face value of things. I have no value to others both Thai and farang and it is noted and boy, do they know how to 'note' these things well.

The other day, a University student came to our home and asked if he could interview me for his school project. So for about 30 minutes, we spoke, and he taped the interview, and his mother was with us. We talked about my life and my education and the such. His English was not too bad. Then at the end of the interview, he got down on his knees and waied to me. I told him not to do that, but he said my education was so high and that he had asked five other farangs in the village if he could interview them for his project and they all said NO to him as they were too busy to talk to him. Our village is small and he told me he felt so bad each time he tried and was told no. It is a pretty easy way to sow seeds into a young mind us farangs have no time for the younger generation that is trying to get ahead.

You can make an extension - there where you and your son is currently staying, living - say a white lie, lol -  can be a Hotel too, I think - so no reason to go far to make an extension.

12 month contract?

I never needed anything like that - even in Phuket Immigration - paper where I stay and in tow with Gf and child with me - extension also there no problem.

An extension of stay now for 60 days - staying and proofing that you stay together with your child in a place -  

also in a Hotel, should be ok, in my opinion - I made that in Khon Kaen Immigration!

A 1 year extension - for that you need the 400.000 Baht in Bank account - is more easy,

if you go for Non Immigrant O Visa in a Thai Consulate first and let that Visa then extend to a year. 

Ubon Joe - did answer you such similar question in one of your threads exactly already. 

:cowboy:

I'm sorry I'm still not clear on this.

I'm currently on a tourist visa which end in 3 weeks.

I am on the BC of our child.

A 30 day extension is no good we have plans I need 60 days minimum or a year if the process can be done in a timely manner?

Do I have any other options?

Are you saying I can apply for a further 60 days based on myself staying with my child?

Are you also saying I can process my EOS by just booking a hotel in KK and showing my BC?

I appreciate your input and yes I have had questions answered and also I have sent messages but one thing that seems rife is different understandings of the process'sin nit only different provinces but different expat experiences. 

I'm sorry but I have always been a bit confused with the different options and in this case I have just gone for the easy option to ensure I get into thailand.

It's no good I know I hate leaving it's really doing my head in and has not been helped by living in this backward city with no services for these matters. But I admit I could have faced these matters sooner I just thought we should move to KK first and it would make these tasks much more easier. 5 visits it took for the Id was a nightmare in 46000.

30 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I am on the BC of our child.

A 30 day extension is no good we have plans I need 60 days minimum or a year if the process can be done in a timely manner?

Do I have any other options?

Are you saying I can apply for a further 60 days based on myself staying with my child?

Are you also saying I can process my EOS by just booking a hotel in KK and showing my BC?

different provinces but different expat experiences. 

. 5 visits it took for the Id was a nightmare in 46000.

I will send a LINK to UBON JOE from our conversation here, maybe he can clarify for sure.

="Are you saying I can apply for a further 60 days based on myself staying with my child?

Are you also saying I can process my EOS by just booking a hotel in KK and showing my BC?"=

In my opinion, you say to Immigration you changed your place of staying and stay now with your child and of course your Gf, the Baby mother here ..... and have to bring at least a bill from Hotel.

Options

If you not already went out and into TH in this year 2 times at a Landborder, you can drive to Nong Khai and cross over to Vientiane come back same day - same hour lol and get 30 days of stay, this 30 days you can extend for 60 days as a father of a Thai child in Thailand later. So you have 90 days, :wink:

Different Immigrations - different opinions - short ago, a year?

I was told in Udon Thani Immigration,

I could do that Extension of stay for staying with  my sons, only once!

And they made problems

So what = only one time in a year? one time in a life time?:shock1: -

of course it meant 1 time each time your Extension of stay runs out or your Visa runs out - but until today -

its discussed! 

5 visit for ID ?

What you need that - I have not even a Thai Drivers license - does such license make me a better driver?

Had until now including my accidents - even with Hospital stays, no problem with my International License.

Do not be more Papal then the Pope my Thaivisa colleague lol :tongue:

Edited by ALFREDO

9 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks Tim but I'll stick with penang the vientienne place sounds hit and miss. I don't fancy searching for food. Whilst it may seem convenient this van visa, it also sounds regimented and I hate rushing and being on someone else's clock. No offence to the visa vans I'm sure they do a great service but not for me.

I never use the organized visa run services, for various reasons, and it is not necessary for either Vientiane or Penang. If you are used to Penang, I can appreciate why you prefer not to experiment with another location. However, on balance, I regard Vientiane slightly easier than Penang (though neither is that hard). Note that HCMC has fewer conditions than Penang, and is easy if you do not require an agent to do the application for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I never use the organized visa run services, for various reasons, and it is not necessary for either Vientiane or Penang. If you are used to Penang, I can appreciate why you prefer not to experiment with another location. However, on balance, I regard Vientiane slightly easier than Penang (though neither is that hard). Note that HCMC has fewer conditions than Penang, and is easy if you do not require an agent to do the application for you.

Please air your views on why you do not do visa runs using a van service?

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question , not really worth starting a new thread, So I will stick it in here :

My Thai visa history is :

Tourist visa from Vientiane

Visa exempt stamp

Visa exempt stamp

All consecutive . Days maxed out and all extended

Will I have any issues going back to Vientiane for another tourist visa or should I go to Penang next time ?