Kent Heckenlively, US 'anti-vaxxer', denied Australian visa

webfact

Kent Heckenlively, US 'anti-vaxxer', denied Australian visa

A US author who bills himself as the "world's #1 anti-vaxxer" has been denied a visa to enter Australia for a speaking tour.

Kent Heckenlively had planned to visit Australia in December to call for a five-year ban on vaccinations.

Medical experts, including the World Health Organization, have repeatedly said that vaccinations are safe and vital to halting infectious diseases.

Full story:  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41104629

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-08-31

Kent would fit right in with Muslim extremists who advocate the same.  It so happens, that the last little vestiges of certain vaccination-sensitive pathogens exist in places like northern Nigeria and Pakistan, where vaccinations are not allowed by the dominant tribes in those regions.  Good on Australia for denying buttplug Kent entry.

P.S. One of the great romantic loves of my life got polio when she was 6.  One of the doses given out by her school was faulty, and she got it.  Her family was too poor (in Sacramento, California) to know about lawsuits.  She was the youngest of 7 kids.  Her dad was so sad, when hearing his dear daughter got polio, that he killed himself.  She lived on, has kids and grandkids, despite have near zero use of both her arms. 

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Kent would fit right in with Muslim extremists who advocate the same.  It so happens, that the last little vestiges of certain vaccination-sensitive pathogens exist in places like northern Nigeria and Pakistan, where vaccinations are not allowed by the dominant tribes in those regions.  Good on Australia for denying buttplug Kent entry.

P.S. One of the great romantic loves of my life got polio when she was 6.  One of the doses given out by her school was faulty, and she got it.  Her family was too poor (in Sacramento, California) to know about lawsuits.  She was the youngest of 7 kids.  Her dad was so sad, when hearing his dear daughter got polio, that he killed himself.  She lived on, has kids and grandkids, despite have near zero use of both her arms. 

Sadly the CIA was involved in intelligence gathering using vaccination programs as cover, which was uncovered and led to the killing of health workers by Islamic extremists.

Edited by simple1

5 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I think anti-vaxxers are fools or loons but they should be allowed to speak where they please. It seems especially pointless to keep them from entering the country given that all this misinformation is available via the internet.

There have been some recent incidents in Australia where vaccine preventable diseases have spread e.g. at a private school where the majority of parents were anti vaccine. Government had to intervene, pick up the health care / treatment costs and so on. Understandable why Federal government refused entry for someone pushing a platform for anti vaccine ideology; attempt to reduce risk, duty of care etc. Another example people have been denied entry for wanting to present far right / jihadist ideology, though material available via the Internet.

2 hours ago, rosst said:

As an Australian, I applaude the Government for refusing to give this mongrel a platform and oxygen, go somewhere and get a disease you dumbXXX

tell me , why are vaccinated people so scared of people who arnt vaccinated , if vaccines really work ?

Clearly you are unfamiliar with the concept of herd immunity: Educate yourself:

"Herd immunity (also called herd effect, community immunity, population immunity, or social immunity) is a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that occurs when a large percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, thereby providing a measure of protection for individuals who are not immune.[1][2] In a population in which a large number of individuals are immune, chains of infection are likely to be disrupted, which stops or slows the spread of disease.[3] The greater the proportion of individuals in a community who are immune, the smaller the probability that those who are not immune will come into contact with an infectious individual.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

^ Also, some people cannot be vaccinated for health reasons (usually immune system problems).  These people depend on Herd Immunity for protection against infection.  A child with this sort of problem would be vulnerable to infection by the child of some trendy Anti-vaxxer.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Clearly you are unfamiliar with the concept of herd immunity: Educate yourself:

"Herd immunity (also called herd effect, community immunity, population immunity, or social immunity) is a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that occurs when a large percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, thereby providing a measure of protection for individuals who are not immune.[1][2] In a population in which a large number of individuals are immune, chains of infection are likely to be disrupted, which stops or slows the spread of disease.[3] The greater the proportion of individuals in a community who are immune, the smaller the probability that those who are not immune will come into contact with an infectious individual.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

I assume your post above is aimed at me. At the link below is an Australian government department talking to 'herd immunity' and why it is necessary to be be vigilant and enforce immunisation programs. To add, in Australia it is a requirement for children to be immunised otherwise they cannot have access to childcare centres / schools. It is not helpful to have a "disgraced former doctor" come to Australia to specifically counter Australian government child care health policy.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/Immunisation-in-Australia

Edited by simple1

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I assume your post above is aimed at me. At the link below is an Australian government department talking to 'herd immunity' and why it is necessary to be be vigilant and enforce immunisation programs. To add, in Australia it is a requirement for children to be immunised otherwise they cannot have access to childcare centres / schools. It is not helpful to have a "disgraced former doctor" come to Australia to specifically counter Australian government child care health policy.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/Immunisation-in-Australia

Not unless you have another account here under the name of sirmud63

1 hour ago, sirmud63 said:

tell me , why are vaccinated people so scared of people who arnt vaccinated , if vaccines really work ?

If parents decide not to vaccinate their children and they subsequently get sick, the parents will have to live with the consequences. But that is not the end of the story.

The problem increasingly seen in the inner suburbs of Australian cities where vaccination rates have fallen to as low as ninety percent, is, it's not only the children of anti-vax parents who get sick. What about babies who aren't vaccinated because you simply cannot give them a range of vaccinations as soon as they're born? You have to wait eight, twelve, sixteen weeks, a year etc. etc. If any of the consciously un-vaccinated children do contract diphtheria, whooping cough, meningitis etc. they can pass it on to defenseless babies, and it is now happening in suburbs that for years rarely reported any such diseases due to nearly everyone being vaccinated. You can't tell which older children are vaccinated by looking, so if you are at the mall with your baby how can you possibly know who to stay clear of.

Look at the basket case Pakistan is becoming for Polio if you want to see what sort of world you risk returning to by not having vaccinations for everyone. I had meningitis when very young. Fortunately I have no memory of it or any long-term after effects but I was told by my parents it was touch and go if I survived while in hospital. In 2017 I fail to see why anyone would want to turn back the clock and again risk diseases we were able to greatly reduce or effectively eliminate, fifty years ago.

1 hour ago, Jerry787 said:

the absurdity of pro vaccine are that kids or adults "vaccine free" may infect who has been vaccinate , well the question is why they are scared if they are protected by vaccine , why scare ?

Where is anyone here saying people who are vaccinated are scared of getting infected from someone who isn't? Why would they be? That really is absurd.

If 99% of the population are vaccinated it then becomes far less likely the remaining 1% will get sick, because there are no longer a critical mass of disease carriers in the community to link up and spread the disease rapidly, like in an epidemic. However once you have areas where ten percent or more of the population are unprotected it becomes that much easier easier for a disease to spread.

The worst part is it also becomes far more likely that children too young to be safely vaccinated (even if their parents want to) are needlessly put at risk. They shouldn't be. It's one thing to decide you don't want your child vaccinated but by doing so you put other innocent children too young to be vaccinated at risk.

It's a bit like driving while extremely drunk. You want to kill yourself then by all means, go ahead, but don't crash your vehicle and kill some perfectly innocent stranger while you're at it.

15 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Indeed. Terrorists comes in many forms. This was one of the worst ones for the society. 

Good call of Australia to not let him in. Hopefully he will be charged for the crimes against humanity at some point.

2 hours ago, Jerry787 said:

additionally having an infant of 2 months, you may not even image the trouble i am having with hospitals and doctors they only want sell vaccine, no one ready to sign a paper that anything may happen they may be chargeable, no one want to test if the baby may be allergic to a certain vaccine...

Why don't you follow what more educated countries are doing. Those, which give these vaccinations for free, for all of their residents. It has nothing to do with selling shots, but all about making the whole society healthier. 

Apparently, we don't have members who ever lived through some of the scary diseases.   People do not seem to realize how quickly these can spread, especially in children as they rip through schools.   

I lost a number of classmates when I was in grade school to what are now completely preventable diseases.   Others in my early youth were permanently scarred by diseases such as polio.  

Edit:  A post has been reported and removed.

Edited by Scott

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

Apparently, we don't have members who ever lived through some of the scary diseases.   People do not seem to realize how quickly these can spread, especially in children as they rip through schools.   

I lost a number of classmates when I was in grade school to what are now completely preventable diseases.   Others in my early youth were permanently scarred by diseases such as polio.  

It's sad that there are people, who are not aware of the past and therefore can't see the future.

I think we have all seen some poor people, here in Thailand, who have been affected with polio. The sickness, which was eradicated from western world in the 70's. 

Thailand became officially polio free in 2014, last case being in 1997. We still can see the people who suffer, what polio gave to them. 

That's the power of vaccination. Do we want polio back? I guess not. Do we want the many other similar health issues back?

300px-Polio_lores134.jpg

While I like to think that the folks, who don't vaccinate their kids, didn't even deserve to have kids (after the kids funeral). The larger point, like previously mentioned, is the herd protection. There are people who can't now or ever be vaccinated. It's the responsibility for the healthy members of the society to make sure that these diseases can't become issue in the society. 

Even the strongest vaccination denier, and specially her kid, will become old and weaker someday.. Weakness is the thing these viruses really love to win.

image.png

On 8/31/2017 at 5:29 PM, sirmud63 said:

My best guess is because the vaccinated people are the ones who have to pick up the bill for healthcare of the infected.

On 8/31/2017 at 5:03 PM, ilostmypassword said:

I think anti-vaxxers are fools or loons but they should be allowed to speak where they please. It seems especially pointless to keep them from entering the country given that all this misinformation is available via the internet.

Many countries don't care to deal with preventable diseases. So I applaud their "No vaccination no entry" policies. 

I remember when I was in the Army during basic training everyone went through lines getting vaccinated for most anything. They gave cocktails with needleless airguns in both arms. Most of us had fevers and such after, but the next day all were ready for training.

No such thing as antivaxers in 1970. 

On 8/31/2017 at 0:42 AM, simple1 said:

Sadly the CIA was involved in intelligence gathering using vaccination programs as cover, which was uncovered and led to the killing of health workers by Islamic extremists.

On 8/31/2017 at 1:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

A post with a link leading to a conspiracy theory website has been removed.

Could these two posts be related?

" Kent Heckenlively had planned to visit Australia in December to call for a five-year ban on vaccinations. "

I assume he wants this ban to include farm animals and family pets.  We wouldn't want to put Fido at risk by vaccinating him for rabies. 

Maybe he would take this one step further and re-introduce diseases that were eliminated in Australia by vaccines.  Small pox and polio, anyone?