Thailand set to host MotoGP in 2018

snoop1130

Thailand set to host MotoGP in 2018

Reuters Staff

sering-diasapi-di-motogp-2017-rossi-curigai-niat-terselubung-vinales-2xY.jpg

(Reuters) - Thailand is set to host a round of the MotoGP world championship for the first time in 2018 with a three-year contract due to be signed in Bangkok on Thursday, series organizers announced on Monday.

The official MotoGP.com website said that Carmelo Ezpeleta, chief executive of commercial rights holders Dorna Sports, would join Sakon Wannapong, the governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, at the formal signing.

The race will be held at the Buriram circuit in the northeast of the country.

The track, which has previously hosted the world superbike championship, will be the first all-new addition to the series since Argentina’s Termas de Rio Hondo in 2014.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-8-31

9 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

image.jpeg.dcce62178f590ab5dc41be1b32e395f1.jpeg

Well, the very odd thing is the general public won't be on the track at the same time.

Answering Baboon by the way.

Another edit, seems I was meaning to answer Father Fintin.

?

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, baboon said:

The organisers ought to be ashamed of themselves, considering the political situation here.

Not only that, Thailand regime should be ashamed claiming to tell that they want fewer deaths in Thai traffic when already the second deadliest in the world, such an event will make motobike deaths skyrocket

• Like 1

The only irresponsibility is the lack of law enforcement on the roads that would stop people racing their bikes.
What other big sports events does this country put on?
It's a shame the only comments I ever see on this forum are negative ones.

World Super Bikes.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, AaronC76 said:

I'm really looking forward to it. What other big sports events does this country put on?

It's a shame the only comments I ever see on this forum are negative ones.

Exactly, this is exactly what the thai boys wanna see and train for of course. 

I see Buriram becoming the hub of motoracing where we can just do it where we like. Much more fun than cockfighting me thinks.

I will be going and i am hoping a few of my friends will be visiting Thailand and going with me and spending money while there over here. I fully expect there will be some crazy dirvers and riders on the road after it finishes making there way home. 

35 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Why would this event create more deaths? I can imagine some idiots want to go faster, but I think they young ones already use their bikes to the limit. A lot of the deaths are caused by utter stupidity eg riding in the wrong direction on the road and navigating intersections without looking. I  don't believe an event like this will change anything. There are bike racing events T Burian circuit quite often the track is a great venue.

It probably won't cause more deaths. Someone released the TV Drama Lama.

13 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You've got to question the wisdom in this given Thailand is number 2 in the World for motoring accidents and fatalities and the vast majority of those are from motorbikes. 

Utter stupidity if you ask me. 

Stupidity by the present government is not an uncommon occurrence. Thailand is infamous for being number one in the world for motorcycle road fatalities. This event should certainly stir the lunatic street racing boys into a frenzy with even more young lives lost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farmerjo said:

What are the dates for the race weekend?

Any tips on hotels close by.

No confirmed date yet dude but its likely to be towards the end of the season when there are races in Australia , Japan , Malaysia etc .. Dont know about hotels though sorry .. 

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Looks like he's out for a good while. Just broke his Tibia and Fibia so will miss a few races.

Can't imagine it being less than 6 or 8 weeks.

Well spotted Overherb thats just come up on my motogp feed .. He's having surgery today but yea you're right 6 to 8 wks minimum .. 

4 hours ago, farmerjo said:

What are the dates for the race weekend?

Any tips on hotels close by.

Late season , most likely October-ish to fit with the current Malaysian, Japan detours. Of course getting a dry race day in October will be a total lottery.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Looks like he's out for a good while. Just broke his Tibia and Fibia so will miss a few races.

Can't imagine it being less than 6 or 8 weeks.

Ouch! And the Doctor doesn't bounce like a young un anymore either.

Edited by NanLaew