FM: Yingluck’s passport cannot yet be revoked

snoop1130

Based on what grounds, she hasn't been proven guilty "yet", but they have seized her assets haven't they, can you see where this is going, its a great day for a Junta party, she is out of pocket before being proven guilty and we all know what the (set-up) ruling would have been, just take a look at Thailand's law system.

Yes Thai's are dumb, you got that right, and she is one above them, hence fleeing before the verdict.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have fled because quite frankly the fix was in for her from day one but my god man.
Based on the simple fact that she has an arrest warrant out for her arrest is in itself enough grounds for passport revocation.

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Sure, but only the worst regimes in the world revoke passports of their own citizens without due course.

As she hasn't been convicted yet and it is unclear where she is, we can't know for sure she is doing a runner yet. 

Maybe she will be declared innocent and she is in bed with vertigo at her residence. Maybe she will be present when they read her verdict next round and everything will be well.

Worst regimes?

perhaps "revoke" was the wrong word... not sure.

when someone is a flight risk, passports are often required to be surrendered to the court, pending trial (and during any appeals proceedings), in (I want to say) most countries... certainly in mine, which as a nanny state, is far from being the worst of regimes.

IMHO, having not done this, is an overwhelming show of incompetence

1 hour ago, reenatinnakor said:

Not really. I think there are Geneva Convention rules that you can't make a citizen stateless. She definitely has other passports so not really an issue here

Revoking a passport does not make a citizen stateless... hell, a lot of people don't even own passports. What is revoked, is their ability to travel abroad, as a citizen of whatever nationality.

this then means that they have fake or expired travel documents, which is an offense, which should lead to either incarceration or a return to point of departure.

Even when British government revoked the passports of people going to fight for Isis they can only do so to the dual nationals

"Going to".... no offense yet committed. Australia wants all its citizens back, to convict them... which will also lead to passport suspension, naturally.

Not really. I think there are Geneva Convention rules that you can't make a citizen stateless. She definitely has other passports so not really an issue here.

Even when British government revoked the passports of people going to fight for Isis they can only do so to the dual nationals.

Simply by revoking a passport does not make a person stateless. It merely restricts their chances of travel out out of, or between, other countries. As you have to give your passport into an embassy to get a visa you will be unable to do so, legally. The same applies at manned border crossings and airports.

6 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

I think there are Geneva Convention rules that you can't make a citizen stateless.

The revocation of a passport and the revocation of nationality are not the same thing. If a Thai person`s passport is revoked, this act does not also revoke this person's nationality.

Which of her many passports are they referring to?

The diplomatic one is the best, but if Thaksin still has his then there is little chance they will take hers away.

Although the UK is often a refuge for despots of one kind or another, Thaksin was made unwelcome after he was found unfit to be a Football Club owner, so I doubt Yingluck will fare much better.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:58 PM, ldiablo72 said:

Either Thais are dumb or they believe Thais are dumb.
Passports do not belong to the person issued the passport but belong to the country issuing the passport and can be revoked at any time.

Both would be the correct answer.

22 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Sure, but only the worst regimes in the world revoke passports of their own citizens without due course.

As she hasn't been convicted yet and it is unclear where she is, we can't know for sure she is doing a runner yet. 

Maybe she will be declared innocent and she is in bed with vertigo at her residence. Maybe she will be present when they read her verdict next round and everything will be well.

Thanks for the laugh...

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:41 AM, darksidedog said:

Knowing the way these crooked people work, regardless of the situation, I suspect the passport will not be revoked for a very long time, if ever. Once she has confirmed she has a new one from somewhere else, will probably be when they get round to it.

'Which is exactly why it's a non-event.  Go ahead.  Revoke it.  She's a Shinawatra.  If it should become necessary someone will get her another one from somewhere else.   Most of us think of passports in terms of "citizenship" and "nationality" and revocation is an extremely inconvenient thing to have happen.  For a Shinawata, it's just some extra busy work that some flunky on the payroll will have to be assigned to go take care of.

On 9/1/2017 at 7:37 AM, Bob12345 said:

Wasn't she out on bail? I"m guessing that a condition of bail is that she stays in the country. So, she violated that.

On 8/31/2017 at 8:56 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Meanwhile, a Ms. Yinny Shinegra from Montenegro has just landed in Dubai on flight EK123.

dubai must be really making out; all those relatively new big spenders with, likely, more on the way; do they have areas there called 'little thailand' yet ?

Edited by YetAnother

On 8/31/2017 at 7:05 PM, rkidlad said:

They're just following protocol like every other country, right? The old rule of law. 

What a joke. 

Sure it is a joke.... Reality Check all you people. She just like her brother slipped through the fingers of the law with help from the very ones who are claiming they knew nothing of her wearabouts.... How stupid do they think the expat community is. Pull wool over your own people and tell some ghost stories. But in Reality she was helped to flee the country through the legal means.....  How come they can catch every blue eyed farang at the border but their own they cannot.....idiots of the first kind.

Sorry Thailand you have no sense of justice and you will never succeed in ASEAN because you do not have the parameters in any legal system to maintain consistency without a story or some lame excuse. Look how many people are jumping off the roofs....funny that it only happens in Thailand. All farangs who want to end it ..... go to Thailand and jump off the roof..... hmmmm really stupid!

On 8/31/2017 at 7:05 PM, rkidlad said:

When her brother fled Thailand he went to Hong Kong. Whilst there he filed for divorce from his wife but to do that legally had to make the submission via the Thai Consulate in HK. That would have put him on 'Thai soil' and liable to arrest so an 'official' from the Thai Consulate/Embassy met with him in an hotel in the city to accept the papers and, presumably, prostrate himself. I did not see any media in Thailand question the ethics.

• 4 weeks later...