First visit to Thailand travel questions...

PixelPaul

I'm planning to visit Thailand for the first time in November, and have a few basic questions:

1. What is the best time to buy airline tickets? Should I buy now or do prices generally get cheaper the longer I wait?

2. I will be visiting for 14 days. It's my understanding that I will only need a US passport? I've also read conflicting things about carrying your passport with you at all times?

3. Will my health insurance plan in the US cover me in the event of an illness or accident in Thailand? Or will I need some kind of additional coverage?

4. What about any immunization/vaccinations before I leave?

5. Will my current cell phone plan work in Thailand, or do I need something different?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to add any first time traveler tips!

1 just keep looking, but they don't come down nearer the time

2 lock the passport in the hotel safe

3 not from usa, but maybe you should check with them

4 not really required as long as you are staying in tourist areas

5 check with provider, get local sim here from airport on arrival

6  don't hire a motorcycle, or any form of water transport, don't cross the road on a marked crossing, don't believe the bar girls, and on bar girls check the tackle carefully, don't do drugs, don't drink tap water, or crushed ice, only formed cubes.

have a great time

Edited by steve187

1. What is the best time to buy airline tickets? Should I buy now or do prices generally get cheaper the longer I wait?

There's really no best time. But generally, the earlier the better. Some do get very good last minute deals. Others get screwed. There's a pinned thread at the top of this forum. Worth taking a peek at.

2. I will be visiting for 14 days. It's my understanding that I will only need a US passport? I've also read conflicting things about carrying your passport with you at all times?

You'll get your visa on arrival. To avoid problems, it's best to have your passport on you. Especially if out late at clubs, etc. Worst case, a copy of the signature page and the visa stamp will normally be ok.

3. Will my health insurance plan in the US cover me in the event of an illness or accident in Thailand? Or will I need some kind of additional coverage?

I'd  contact your provider to find out. Normally, riding scooters is never covered. Be careful.

Hep A/B, tetanus and diphtheria, and typhoid are good to have almost no matter where you travel . 

5. Will my current cell phone plan work in Thailand, or do I need something different?

I'd get a tourist sim when you are here that's got an internet package.

Have fun!

54 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

What about any immunization/vaccinations before I leave?

Hep A/B, tetanus and diphtheria, and typhoid are good to have almost no matter where you travel . 

Absolutely agree with this.  Get it done now because the combination as I recall takes about 90 days to be fully effective.  Hep A/B for sure.  Tetanus booster you may not even remember the last time you had it but that is important

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

Absolutely agree with this.  Get it done now because the combination as I recall takes about 90 days to be fully effective.  Hep A/B for sure.  Tetanus booster you may not even remember the last time you had it but that is important

I've got a buddy who got hepatitis from eating shell fish in Manila. Was in and out of the hospital for months. And has issues still.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've got a buddy who got hepatitis from eating shell fish in Manila. Was in and out of the hospital for months. And has issues still.

Yep.  Hep A for food stuff.  Hep B if you think there is a chance you will come in touch with the local blood supply.  Hep A can happen anywhere, Chipotle, Salad bars and buffets tend to be a bit notorious for it, because the food is exposed to so many people and possible sources

13 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

A similar case with a neighbor that I knew some years ago.

6 weeks between life and death.

Hep A/B is really recommended.

2) You will get a 30 day visa exempt stamp (no cost).

Before passing immigration you have to fill in a "Departure Card" (usually supplied on the plane before arrival).

Make copies of the passport main page, the page with the stamp and the departure card and carry them with you. Also have a business card of hotel/accommodation with you (preferably with address in Thai) in case you get lost.

Strictly legal you would have to carry your passport but almost no one takes the risk.

Lock it away.

In the unlikely case of a raid/arbitrary checks the copies will usually suffice.

Otherwise you must be able to produce your passport from your hotel/accommodation.

But really unlikely except you are involved in illegal activities/drugs or the like.

Traveling to Thailand from 1994 to 2011, living here for six years and never happened to me.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:13 PM, PixelPaul said:

I'm planning to visit Thailand for the first time in November, and have a few basic questions:

1. Suggest snapping up a good deal as soon as you see it.

2. Yes you only need your passport to enter but make a copy of your info pages. Carry that with you, leave your passport safe in hotel safe.

4. check your hep up to date

5. probably but expensive. Get a thai sim or even buy a cheap thai phone for use over here.

have a good holiday.

Edited by alant

1. Airline prices can fluctuate within the same day... when you see a price you like, pounce, but do a little research and find out what ohers are paying from your area. Prices have been very low lately but some of that is due to inexpensive Chinese airlines driving competition.

2. Whatever makes you more comfortable but make sure to keep a couple of copies of your passport, mostly in case you lose your passport... but keep it secure.

3. Contact your insurer and if not comfortable, pick up travel insurance.. 

4. keep current on the hep as mentioned above as you should anyway. The friends I know who live here take no particular precautions beyond that - a doctor may recommend otherwise often just for covering themselves legally. 

Relax and enjoy - get outside the tourist areas if you really want to see traditional Thailand. And smile. A smile is very important to a Thai - as is being non-confrontational... You will mostly find Thai to be friendly and engaging.. Have fun.

Hi.

1: Flights. Check on Google. "Cheap flights to Thailand" a lot will cme up.mit always works out cheaper f booking quite a few mnhs before you should do now you arein September now.

2: When you arrive get a good photo copy of your I.D page with the entry stamp. You have to fill in entry card you will get on the plane, this also has a departure card, get copy of this also as it shows the date you have to leave by.

3: you should check your insurance company and ask what it will not cover. Most do not cover Adventure tours, scooter/ bike riding. The riding skills are none existant in Thailand. No one knows the road rules, do NOT, NOT hire a motor bike r scooter. You will be playing Russian Roulette.

4: Ask your Doc about imunizing. Stay away from raw shellfish and fish.

5: You probably have a good phone, leave it at home it is one of the things that thieves go for and there are plenty of them.  Buy a cheap ne here less than 1,000 baht and a sim card. Just for calls and txt. All you need.

6: Do not wear any GOLD  chains or any other gold items that show out. 

7: Do not fall in lve with your first bar girl encounter, they will see this and work on you. They will tell you tails of having to work in the bars to send money home for the family, or another one is the family cow/Buffalo is very sick and need money to make it better for the doctor.

A lot of guys loose their brain from their upper head, and it transferes down to the little head of their willie. D^*k.

Be wise and carefull. Great places over here i been 9 years here with  a great Thai wife. 

1.  A US citizen can get a visa on arrival. Very simple form your airline will provide. U would make a copy of your passport page and you Thai entry form and carry that with you. Lock your passport in your hotel safe. If you do carry your passport, NEVER let anyone hold it (renting a car or bike, etc.). 
  2. Medical insurance- Your US policy may cover overseas medical bills (check with them). I would also get travel insurance for medical. Especially coverage for medical evacuation. If you are, for example, in a serious car accident that requires long term medical treatment, they will arrange for a air ambulance to return you home. In any case, be aware that you will have to pay for any medical treatment and then get reimbursed. As a side note, dental care is very cheap here. You might want to take advantage of it.
  3. Airline Prices- Be aware, if you decide to come during high season, everything will be more expensive.
  4. Keep hydrated! Drink plenty of bottled water. Even if you don;t feel thirsty, drink water.

Enjoy your visit!

Hi PixelPaul .... As you board your plane in USA, make sure you have US dollar cash in your pocket equivilent to 20,000+ Thai baht.

Thai Immi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) may ask to see it, as proof that you are financially capable of supporting yourself during your holiday.

If they ask, and you haven't got this cash, there is a distinct possibility you may be refused entry.

53 minutes ago, electric said:

Hi PixelPaul .... As you board your plane in USA, make sure you have US dollar cash in your pocket equivilent to 20,000+ Thai baht.

Thai Immi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) may ask to see it, as proof that you are financially capable of supporting yourself during your holiday.

If they ask, and you haven't got this cash, there is a distinct possibility you may be refused entry.

Also make sure bills that you bring are fresh with no tears, banks will not take them, your best exchange rates will be for 50,s and100,s

Re your passport. Take phone photo of main, front page showing your signature & photo. Also take photo of stamped entry page. That will suffice if asked for by police or other officialdom. DON"T carry your passport around with you, especially in night clubs & bars & such like.

Most of the info provided is good but if you provide a bit more info like when do you plan to arrive and where are you  flying from we may provide better info. Many USA health policeis will cover you in Thailand but check with them. I always took out additional Travel Insurance (its cheap maybe $40) to cover sickness or air ambulance back to USA. Can get the Hepatitis shots although many travel without it. If you check top of this page will see an envelope that's for personal messages (PM) I will send youninfo on discount fares ect if you wish.

Why are you guys so paranoid about leaving passport in hotel safe?  You mean room safe?  You may want your USA phone.  It's nice to log in to free wifi in Tokyo or Inchon plus LAX or departure city.   Very cheap to get a sim card for your phone.  But I have always had a native speaker help me at an off airport 7/11.   It's like 399 baht for 7 days and 1.5 gb.   You may be more familiar with your own phone and all your apps.  

How long do hep shots last?  

It would be crazy not to eat fish cooked or sushi, (I avoid oysters),  I indulge in seafood with proper sadness for the state of the World's fisheries.   

Ditto on crisp hundreds and not easy to get from the bank.  Inspect each one for ink or tears or and defect or crease.  Some banks can have long lines are picky about bill condition ( they don't seem to use UV light or have counterfeit pens) also bad exchange rates.  Super rich off the airport is best exchange rates.  But some use ATMs more than carry cash. 

Good airfare from lax is 27,000 baht bad is 50,000.  China air seems cheapest and is more comfy (legroom/young pretty crew) than united.   

Don't overpack.  If staying at a place for 2 days it's easy and cheap to get your laundry done for a few $.  Don't use hotel laundry service unless you don't mind a 5-10x mark up.   

Edited by Elkski

11 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Why are you guys so paranoid about leaving passport in hotel safe?  You mean room safe?  You may want your USA phone.  It's nice to log in to free wifi in Tokyo or Inchon plus LAX or departure city.   Very cheap to get a sim card for your phone.  But I have always had a native speaker help me at an off airport 7/11.   It's like 399 baht for 7 days and 1.5 gb.   You may be more familiar with your own phone and all your apps.  

How long do hep shots last?  

It would be crazy not to eat fish cooked or sushi, (I avoid oysters),  I indulge in seafood with proper sadness for the state of the World's fisheries.   

Ditto on crisp hundreds and not easy to get from the bank.  Inspect each one for ink or tears or and defect or crease.  Some banks can have long lines are picky about bill condition ( they don't seem to use UV light or have counterfeit pens) also bad exchange rates.  Super rich off the airport is best exchange rates.  But some use ATMs more than carry cash. 

Good airfare from lax is 27,000 baht bad is 50,000.  China air seems cheapest and is more comfy (legroom/young pretty crew) than united.   

Don't overpack.  If staying at a place for 2 days it's easy and cheap to get your laundry done for a few $.  Don't use hotel laundry service unless you don't mind a 5-10x mark up.   

To answer your question the hepatitis vaccines are effective for approximately 25 years and will prevent you from food or blood-related body fluid infections. I have seen flights from California for as little as 20,000 baht. Not a good idea to use ATM's to get money as many charge a 3% FTF (Foreign Transaction Fee) plus ATM charge when withdrawing money.