Multiple Deaths From Tour Bus Accident In Chiang Mai

Jai Dee

13 deaths from tour bus accident in Chiang Mai

A tour bus with a group of teachers onboard overturned and plunged into Kuang River, Chiang Mai province. The accident resulted in 13 deaths and 36 injuries. The driver initially identified as Mr. Bung (บัง) is severely injured.

The teachers aboard are from Nong Prakong Pittayakarn School in Chanthaburi. They were on a two-storey tour bus with a license plate 30—0963 of Ayutthaya province.

Doisaket district-chief officer Surasak Charoensirichoke (สุรศักดิ์ เจริญสิริโชค) together with Pol. Col. Chamnarn Ruadraew (ชำนาญ รวดเร็ว), the deputy commander of Chiang Mai Provincial Police, and a team of officials immediately travelled to the scene to help the passengers and deliver them to hospitals.

The teachers were planning to visit Doi Inthanon before the accident. The investigation revealed that the brake of the tour bus was malfunctioned, causing the vehicle to tipped off and plunged into Kuang River.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 January 2007

13 teachers killed in road accident in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai - A chartered bus taking teachers from Chanthaburi to Doi Inthanon Mount plunged into a roadside pond, killing 13 of them and injuring several others.

Police said the accident occurred at 9:30 am on a road in Tambon Pamiang of Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district.

Police said the bus was climbing the mountainous road and lost control at a curve and overturned before plunging into the pond.

The 13 teachers died inside the bus.

The injured teachers were rushed on helicopters to nearby hospitals.

The bus was charted to take teaches from eight schools in Chan Thaburi for a field trip in Chiang Rai and the bus left Chiang Rai at 7 am to take teachers to tour Doi Inthanon.

Source: The Nation - 19 January 2007

If it is 21 it will be likely to rise further.

So very sad and so very unnecessary :o

AND what a load of horseshyt. "the investigation revealed that the brake of the tour bus was malfunctioned"

It only just happened and these cretins have already established the cause of the accident. If it wasn't so sad it would be a joke.

At least the driver did not flee the scene.

Edited by john b good

Was getting a haircut on Doisaket road around 10AM this morning and counted 17 emergency vehicles with sirens blaring heading towards the scene, and saw 5 ambulances on their way back into Chiangmai, just when I was leaving. Didn't look like any of them were going much slower than 140km/hr either. Knew it had to be something serious.

What a waste of life.

If it is 21 it will be likely to rise further.

So very sad and so very unnecessary :o

AND what a load of horseshyt. "the investigation revealed that the brake of the tour bus was malfunctioned"

It only just happened and these cretins have already established the cause of the accident. If it wasn't so sad it would be a joke.

At least the driver did not flee the scene.

Hmm, possible the driver was too badly injured to flee having been in the smash wreckage, but perhaps otherwise.

The news report mentions Doi Saket district. It sounds like the small mountain area that the large temple complex is on (looks like a smaller version of Doi Suthep with steps going up to it). If thats so it must of been a terrible plunge as the I've been up there and the turns are very sharp.

RIP to those in need.

Those buses are far to big and unstable.

Bus plungs into a river, killing 22 teachers in Chiang Mai

A chartered bus taking teachers from Chanthaburi to Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai plunged into a roadside river in Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district, killing 22 and injuring several others, police said Friday.

Eyewitnesses said some of the teachers were thrown as far as 20 metres away from the site of the accident, while other had drown in the river or went unconscious after falling into the water.

The accident occurred at about 9.30am on the Chiang MaiChiang Rai highway in Tambon Pa Miang, about 30 kilometres from Chiang Mai City.

The doubledecker lost control at a sharp curve near a bridge over Kuang River, overturned and plunged into the river, police said. The injured were evacuated on helicopters to nearby hospitals.

The bus was hired to take teachers from eight schools in Chan Thaburi's Pong Nam Ron district for a fieldtrip in Chiang Rai.

The bus left Chiang Rai at 7 am for a tour on Doi Inthanon and the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 Exposition, respectively.

A Klong Bon Wittayalai School teacher, Amnat Chayangkhanont, who sustained head injuries, said that the bus driver was speeding and lost control at a curve and then plunged into the river.

At the time of the interview, Amnat still didn't have an idea over the fate of his wife or her whereabouts.

Meanwhile, Chanthaburi Educational Zone 2 Director Somchai Jitneuang said that he had contacted Chiang Mai Educational Zone 1 Director to assist the victims.

Somchai said he would provide assistance to the injured and the dead as according to the civil service procedure because the group had obtained a fieldtrip permit to learn teaching methods in the North and to visit the horticultural expo.

Source: The Nation - 19 January 2007

Those doubledecked tour buses have always struck me as poorly balanced and unsafe. Since Rachapreuk opened, they have been flooding the city. Not surprised at this news, most of them appear like an accident waiting to happen.

My condolences to the bereaved.

Agree 100%.

I recently followed one up the Mae Sa Valley road, and was shocked by how far it leaned over, on the corners. Either the suspension was not working, or it was operating in reverse, to exagerate the lean, rather than dampen it. I hung back and refused to try to pass it - better safe than sorry !

The only good thing on these buses is the wonderful artwork on the paint-job. :o

Those doubledecked tour buses have always struck me as poorly balanced and unsafe. Since Rachapreuk opened, they have been flooding the city. Not surprised at this news, most of them appear like an accident waiting to happen.

My condolences to the bereaved.

I also thought this a couple of days ago,but then I also thought that I am not an engineer and know <deleted> :o They do seem to be 'top-heavy' though..

A Klong Bon Wittayalai School teacher, Amnat Chayangkhanont, who sustained head injuries, said that the bus driver was speeding and lost control at a curve and then plunged into the river.

And the bastard lived!

22 People, Mostly Teachers Killed In Accident In Thailand

At least 22 people were killed when a double-decker bus carrying a group of teachers and students travelling to the country's highest peak in Doi Inthanon in northwestern Thailand near Chiang Mai plunged into a river.

A police spokesman said that most of those killed were teachers while several other passengers were injured in the accident that happened about 9.30am at the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai highway, about 30km from Chiang Mai.

He said 14 of them, including seven women, died at the scene while the bus driver identified as Kumron Bboonyarat, 48, broke his leg.

The bus was carrying 48 passengers, including students, when it lost control while climbing the mountainous road and plunged into the Kuang River.

Many of the passengers were thrown out from the bus, some into the river as the bus's top part was totally ripped off.

The chartered bus had taken teachers and students from eight schools in Chanthaburi for a trip in Chiang Rai before going to Doi Inthanon which is a popular tourist site in the north.

They were also planning to visit the three-month long Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 Expo in Chiang Mai.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 January 2007

Education Ministry will care for tour bus victims

The Office of the Basic Education Commission secretary-general Kasama Vorawan Na Ayutthaya (กษมา วรวรรณ ณ อยุธยา) last night paid visit to the teachers who were wounded from the tour bus accident in Chiang Mai, and insisted that she will arrange for good care for the injured and relatives of the deceased.

Khunying Kasama said the Ministry of Education is fully ready to provide assistance to the victims of this accident, as the teachers were considered on duty. The deceased will be granted salary increases based on criteria. She added that after autopsy the Air Force will provide an aircraft to move the bodies of the teachers back to their home provinces.

The official death toll from the accident is currently 17. Five of these are male and 12 are female. Two of the deceased were children. Meanwhile 33 people were injured.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 January 2007

I have experienced those tour buses fighting across traffic lanes to try and get a perceived time advantage. I've also had one inches from my rear bumber flashing lights - I was doing 100kms/hour and overtaking at the time.

Maybe he thought you were 'loaded', and was trying to save you. :o

My earlier post saying it looked like the bus hit the barrier almost head-on was incorrect. I saw a later broadcast and it was clear from the images that the driver lost control of the bus as it was rounding a curve, and mounted the cement barrier mid-curve, partially crushing it. He must have been greatly exceeding any speed limit, not to mention any common-sense.

So the driver survived. How long do you reckon til he is back behind the wheel?

Looking at the photo in post #12 - it appears the bus rolled down to the river - would explain why so many killed on the spot. The upper deck has gone completely.

Condolences and hope the bus company gets it's license revoked

Ever wondered why driving passenger-carrying vehicles is prohited to farangs under the Royal Decree?

Perhaps it's a population control measure? Just like the lack of enforcement of helmets, seat belts, drink driving etc?

Ever wondered why driving passenger-carrying vehicles is prohited to farangs under the Royal Decree?

Perhaps it's a population control measure? Just like the lack of enforcement of helmets, seat belts, drink driving etc?

Sily question. It's because there are plenty of Thai busdrivers around, and they get first choice in jobs.. Didn't you know this??