Marriages To Western Men Cause Of Concern

Totster

ELEPHANT CAMP FOREIGN INFLUENCE

Marriages to western men cause of concern

Chiang Rai _ Tying the knot with western men might be a dream come true for many local women who believe it is a ticket to lifelong financial security. But they might be merely marriages of convenience for both bride and groom, according to Prachan Sakorn, chairman of the Maeyao tambon administration organisation (TAO) in Chiang Rai's Muang district.

-Bangkok Post

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote ''We have effective control measures to prevent any would-be foreign capitalist from taking hold of the local business, which has been run by Karen people in Ruam Mitra community for more than 20 years,'' said Mr Isae.

Would that be another name for Immigration :o

Edited by Totster
Removed reference that is againt the forum rules

Really typical xenophobic nonsense. I really enjoyed the writer's concern about possible overcharging of tourists being caused by the foreign/western ownership of businesses. :o

Agreed.........xenophobic to the extreme. If we had a brain, we would all get together and demand that Thais living abroad be treated the same way--in terms of visa/business rules--by our respective governments as we are being treated by the Thai government. Can you imagine what would happen if we did that and our legislators passed equivalent visa/business laws and applied them to Thais living abroad? The shit would hit the fan and eyes would open!

If we had a brain...................

That's the problem, too many Farangs are unable to take any type of flak from any Thai without screaming racism and xenophobia, kinda like the immigrants do in western countries.

You take all the good things that Thailand offers as a God given right, anything that you disagree with is dismissed as Nationalistic or just plain rubbish.

I too wish that we Farangs had to go through the same Visa procedures as the Thais do who wish to visit Farang countries, a very large number of so called tourists would never be permitted to enter Thailand for sure.

Well, it appears that the report is about one particular community and one particular business - elephant park.

People feel threatened and their reaction is unreasonable. What is so surprising? They've invested years and years of hard work and feel that new sons in law may take over their business.

How would small western business owners react in the same situation - a group of immigrants settles in the area and they look like they want to open new, competing businesses there, or marry their way into existing ones.

too wish that we Farangs had to go through the same Visa procedures as the Thais do who wish to visit Farang countries, a very large number of so called tourists would never be permitted to enter Thailand for sure.

but when they do , those thais abroad are treated as equals , and not discriminated against by the state.

if they are discriminated against , then they have procedures by which they can complain and be heard.

i would gladly go through more rigid visa procedures ( as if they are not rigid enough here already) if it meant a measure of equality in this increasingly xenophobic country.

That's the problem, too many Farangs are unable to take any type of flak from any Thai without screaming racism and xenophobia, kinda like the immigrants do in western countries.

You take all the good things that Thailand offers as a God given right, anything that you disagree with is dismissed as Nationalistic or just plain rubbish.

I too wish that we Farangs had to go through the same Visa procedures as the Thais do who wish to visit Farang countries, a very large number of so called tourists would never be permitted to enter Thailand for sure.

Give me a break........I am from the USA.....we have more immigrants than any country on the planet. If you want to come to America and start a business, it is EASY. Do I need to go down the list and compare policies?

We embrace immigrants with open arms (not so much as in the past, but still do). We encourage small-scale investment (it is infinitely easier for a foreigner to set up a business in America than it is for an American to set up a business in Thailand). We do not do anything to prevent foreigners from marrying American citizens.

There are good things in Thailand........the visa/business rules, underpinned by a growing xenophobic attitude, are not part of them. Some people chose to speak out when confronted with injustice........others, the majority I am afraid, bury their heads in the sand.

Your wish may as yet come true in the near future. When the foreigners make it into our countries the governments give them fair and equal treatment and they are allowed to pursue a living at whatever level of investment they can muster. If they want a job they can get one and there are laws in place to protect them against discrimination, which is not the case for us here. As long as their qualifications are in order and applicable.

The news article is just a reminder that there is a large element of rejectionism in place and actively supported to prevent or hinder "farangs" from pursuing business equality. While you may be comfortably retired and/or you may be the type of person seeking to invest large amounts of capital into say a factory or manufacturing option, then that's what works for you. However, there are all types who only seek a better opportunity to do the same on a much smaller scale--something that is getting near to impossible in our own countries due to high rents and utilities costs, licenses, permits, and inspections, and of course let's not forget the rising cost of insurance.

I think the worst thing about these types of policies against our presence and future success here is that they are based on sweeping generalizations and blanket opinions about who we are as a people, our individual levels of morality, and basic value to the communities in which we decide to live. It doesn't help that our own people who have settled here share in this sentiment and wish to remain isolated without trying to see the situation for what it is and without trying to lend support to those seeking an equal footing on purposefully rocky ground.

The other side of the coin is that, it would be nice if Farangs in Thailand had the same rights to permanent residence, property ownership and equality in law, as do foreigners who immigrate to my country. People who marry a citizen of my country have a more or less automatic path to PR status & equality in law, not so for a foreigner in Thailand.

I wish .th had the same visa rules as back home against thai immigrants and tourists. I would have a PR now automatically. And wouldn't have to travel anywhere every 90 days. Nor travel out of the country to apply for another year.

Tying the knot with western men might be a dream come true for many local women who believe it is a ticket to lifelong financial security

Then they discover that he in fact saves all year round for his 3 week holiday working as a floorsweeper in a Scunthorpe supermarket. :o

Tying the knot with western men might be a dream come true for many local women who believe it is a ticket to lifelong financial security

Then they discover that he in fact saves all year round for his 3 week holiday working as a floorsweeper in a Scunthorpe supermarket. :o

Floor sweeper marries village elephant <deleted> cleaner

As least he works and saves money,which would be more financial security than many have.Have you been to many villages here and experienced that life style.Or are you writing this and looking out the window at the Shangrila ?

Edited by mellow1

Why do foriegners always winge about the xenophobic nationalistic attitude of Thais?

Again Thai xenophobia rears its dumb head, the writer of rubbish like this really have nothing better to do than try and stir the _hit

Good on any Thai for not marrying another Thai village idiot, actually trying to benefit their lives and in the long run their families lives.

The vast majority of Foreign/Thai marriages actually put the enfaces on the betterment of Children’s education….not the lao cow stand or the Karaoke bar

And for the TV members who cry foul at the word xenophobic…take off the rose spectacles and smell the coffee, you are the fools that the Thais are laughing at & would happly like to see the back of

:o

especially overcharging for tours on elephant back.
:o

The article was rather confused. Looked like a reporter trying to squeeze a short article out of the meeting between the officials & the mahouts, and possibly under a directive to flag concern in an English language newspaper.

In a case like this, I *can* see some cause for concern (whether justified or not we cannot tell). Three Europeans suddenly materialising to marry Karen girls from the same elephant camp ? I think we can be fairly sure they don't have a huge amount of experience with elephants, or knowledge of the mahout tradition. However, for the Karens it's one of a somewhat limited range of skills they can market.

Edited by WaiWai

article assumes that the foreign partner has some sense of business acumen.

As for the claims of Xenaphobia, yeah well so what? Give me uneducated hillbillies anywhere in the world and I'll give you a pack Xenaphobes to interview for a newpaper interview. You get the good with the bad, even here in Thailand.

And before our Yankee/EU/Australian Brothers and sisters get on and have a go at me, shall I'll just mention Dubai Ports, Chinese textile quotas and Philippine Banana's.

You can go figure out the rest.

article assumes that the foreign partner has some sense of business acumen.

As for the claims of Xenaphobia, yeah well so what? Give me uneducated hillbillies anywhere in the world and I'll give you a pack Xenaphobes to interview for a newpaper interview. You get the good with the bad, even here in Thailand.

And before our Yankee/EU/Australian Brothers and sisters get on and have a go at me, shall I'll just mention Dubai Ports, Chinese textile quotas and Philippine Banana's.

You can go figure out the rest.

spot on :o

Two wrongs doesn't make a right.

Two wrongs doesn't make a right.

never said they did.

Just need to make the point though that you are going to get these attitudes wherever you go, and to bleat that this is somehow a Thai only phenomenon invites ridicule from me. An upcountry bureaucrat spouting this stuff I understand, when the US congress blocks a port deal, or the Australian cabinet blocks Singapore Airlines competing on Australian routes is something a bit harder to fathom. The bucks a bigger frankly, than anything protectionist racket Thailand could ever muster.

On the other hand, if Thailand is ever going to get its feet into other protectionist markets such as the EU or the US (from the view of its products) it could do worse that keep restrictions as a bargaining chip in any future FTA negotiations. You can't get something for nothing, can you?

It seems to me this has less to do with the westerners and more to do with the Karen. Thais don't care if westerners share their money with their Thai fanily to enhance their business. Thais still will control it. I think the fact that Karen may be coming up in the world is what is unacceptable to the Thai.