Bank Accounts And Tourist Visas

My friend just went to the Thai Embassy in Laos for a tourist visa. The immigration official asked him for his thai bank book for evidence of funds. My friend pointed out that Thai banks will not allow a foreigner to open an account without a work permit!!!!

If a tourist cannot open a bank account in Thailand, how can he or she supply Thai immigration with a photocopy of the bank book??

What's going on??????

"My friend pointed out that Thai banks will not allow a foreigner to open an account without a work permit!!!!"

since when????

either your friend is filling you full of it or im going mad!!!!

i meet loads of people everyday who open bank accounts who are here on holiday!!!

"The immigration official asked him for his thai bank book for evidence of funds"

i have heard this rumour, but not in a long while and not personally have i been asked!

what embassy or consulate did your friend go to?

chris

With regards to bank accounts it is at the discretion of the branches manager, but i was truned down by SCB for an account in Bangkok Soi 3/1 two years ago as i did not have a work permit so it can happen. But two years prior to that BB gave me a bank account on Tourist visa. So far as i am aware as i say it is something that will change according to the branch, i would tell your friend to try Bangkok Bank for a bank account if he wants one and ask in two or three branches not just the one.

There is no requirement to have a bank account for a tourist visa. But there is a requirement to have funds for your visit that is occasionally asked for. So if he was asked to show 20k baht and could not a bank account book might have been suggested as an alternative.

You said this was the Embassy in Laos so that would be Vientiane (Savannakhet is a Consulate) and most people have not had any issues obtaining tourist visas in Vientiane so if you can provide the date of visit it may be helpful (there were some issues on Mondays previously).

My friend just went to the Thai Embassy in Laos for a tourist visa. The immigration official asked him for his thai bank book for evidence of funds. My friend pointed out that Thai banks will not allow a foreigner to open an account without a work permit!!!!

If a tourist cannot open a bank account in Thailand, how can he or she supply Thai immigration with a photocopy of the bank book??

What's going on??????

There is nothing going on ... You have simply been misinformed by your mate re the requirement for a work permit.

Naka.

i'm here on tourist visa's to and bangkok bank refused to open me a bank account to, without a workpermit.

i live in rayong.

maybe other places or banks do not make a hassle about it, plz some info where to go to open a bank account then.

grtz dennis

i'm here on tourist visa's to and bangkok bank refused to open me a bank account to, without a workpermit.

i live in rayong.

maybe other places or banks do not make a hassle about it, plz some info where to go to open a bank account then.

grtz dennis

Try different banks. You will get

Forget Bangkok Bank they are a dead loss.

Try Kasikorn or Siam Comercial Bank.

Edited by Lite Beer

I can't speak to the consulate issue...

But I can speak to the banks' policy issue, on opening new accounts for farang. It seems there is no consistently applied standard/rule about this in Thailand, and it varies by bank company and even branch to branch within the same bank.

In general, though, for someone holding only a tourist visa, Kasikorn Bank is widely resported to have among easiest times for opening news accounts. BKK Bank also will do, with greater success often reported at their main branch on Silom Road or their branch at Suk Soi 10. When I opened an account at BKK Bank, they wanted to see my passport and some local address, but didn't care about a work permit.

Siam Commercial Bank is more difficult. Depending on the location, the branch may ask for a work permit even when you have a long-term, one-year visa. But I spoke with the SCB Call Centre, and they assured that bank policy is to NOT require a work permit to open a new account when someone has a one-year visa. (I can't speak to their policy regarding tourist visas). After being turned down at one branch, I followed the Call Centre's advice, went to a larger different branch, and was able to open. But again, they wanted some evidence of a local address.

i live in rayong.

grtz dennis

dennis as many other posters say put it down to lazyness/ lack of knowledge by bank staff, just spend a morning walking bank to bank mate and youll deff get one, maybe easier if you go early before customers (not too early that they havent opened :o ) so they have a bit more time!

chris

But again, they wanted some evidence of a local address.

I used the hotel i was staying at the time - no problem - shop around different branches and different staff within the branch.

Go in when they are not busy - as it is easier to send you away than process your application.

Yep..,,, hotel or similar address would suffice....

None of the Thai banks actually paper mail almost anything to your address, anyway, in my experience.

But as best as I recall, BKK Bank did paper mail the PIN for online banking to my address... If I didn't request online banking with them, it wouldn't have mattered. They also wanted, which most people have, a Thai mobile number that they can send SMS messages to, as part of the account set-up process (I think that part also was related to online banking and/or getting their ATM card).

I don't recall SCB ever mailing anything home. But, the officer at the BKK branch where I went did want to see a copy of my lease or rental agreement for my home. I actually have such a document, but hadn't brought it with me to the bank that day. So I explained that, and asked if I could bring it into the branch the next day. The guy agreed, but they went ahead and opened my account that initial day anway. I never got around to going back....since the branch isn't the closest one to my home.

At BKK Bank, I got a windbreaker jacket for opening a new savings account. At SCB, they gave me a nice battery-powered wall clock that hangs on my bedroom wall..to this very day.

Just opened an account at Siam Commercial Bank in Carrefour Srinakarin Branch.

First, I got the usual Passport and work permit but after having shown them my other SCB book they called their head branch and the account was opened in a couple of minutes with an ATM card and internet access on the spot.

Krub adds a good point about the vagaries of opening new Thai bank account..

It seems...being able to show the bank you're talking to that you already have an account with some other Thai bank (via producing their bank book) can sometimes be helpful in swaying a recalcitrant bank boobie....

No guarantees, but it has been known to help on occasion. Likewise, try another branch of the same bank that's giving you trouble, usually a larger branch that's accustomed to dealing with farang customers.

That sometimes produces the opposite result, though. The SCB branch nearest the Nana BTS station is TERRIBLE about accomodating farang customers, and they're right in the middle of farang land on Sukhumvit... I was told it's because they had had problems with some farangs passing bad or counterfeit bills....but who knows... Could just be a dick-head local manager.

• 1 month later...

I was asked for my bank book while applying for a 60-day tourist visa in Savannakhet this past December. I was never asked for this before on 3 prior tourist visa applications in Savannakhet. Luckily I had the bank book with me! My parents were also applying for the tourist visa with me and they were not asked for a bank book. I suspect I was asked since I had been in Thailand for 1.5 years (less 2 or 3 weeks) and they probably just wanted some indication that I had a source of funds for my stay (and not working illegally or something like that).

BTW, I have bank accounts at both Siam Commercial and Bank Bankgok... no problems getting the accounts, however they are both joint accounts with a Thai national (my name is listed as account holder on the bank books).

This thread had been turned into a Thai banking 101 affair so glad to see the last post has addressed the OP's question. I was also thinking that maybe the OP had a 'history' of visas acquired either in Laos or elsewhere in SEA and that's probably why they asked for proof of finances. Put it this way, if you have been hopping in and out of Thailand for 2 years and this shows in your passport, it's fair to assume you may have some Thai banking set up and it's also fair to assume that these consulates will be taking a longer look at your application. Maybe it's better to just go home once a year and get a hassle-free visa?

I might have missed it somewhere in the thread, but does anyone know which Thai Consulate in Laos this happened? :o

It happened to me at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos. It appears it also happened to the OP in Vientiane, Laos.

EDIT: I'm leaving for Savannakhet again today and applying for another Tourist visa tomorrow. I will post back whether they ask for my bank book again or not (assuming they grant the visa and I'm allowed back in Thailand).

Edited by danfred

I just got back from the Savannakhet consulate. Fewer than 10 people at or around the window and I left the consulate less than 10 minutes after arriving. Anyway, this time they told me that next time I apply for a visa I need to bring bank statements. I told him I have copies now and he gladly took them (he wasn't interested in seeing the original bank book). Interestingly he gave me back the copies of my current bank book and keep the ones for my old bank book (which was full and did not show my transactions for the past 5 months).

He also asked why I wanted to stay in Thailand and I said I was visiting. Of course I know he was thinking why is he visiting for nearly 2 years. He then asked why are you visiting Thailand and I just came out and told him this is my boyfriend (he was standing next to me at the window) and all question stopped.

The guy at the window is the same one that asked for my bank book last December. So I am assuming that from now on I need to produce copies of my bank book at this consulate (or at least to this particular guy).

What's going on??????

There is nothing going on ... You have simply been misinformed by your mate re the requirement for a work permit.

Naka.

I have bank acounts at Thai Military, Siam Commercial and Bangkok Bank and all 3 required a Work Permit to open the account.

So some branches of banks DO require a WP.

I have bank acounts at Thai Military, Siam Commercial and Bangkok Bank and all 3 required a Work Permit to open the account.

But there does not appear to any law requiring such, as is often the representation.

But there does not appear to any law requiring such, as is often the representation.

TIT, they are quite often a law unto themselves.

Bangkok Bank nationwide policy (I happen to be doing some work with them at the moment on this very subject):-

1) Resident with appropriate paperwork (show home & alien certifiactes) - savings or current account & internet banking.

2) Working with a working visa (show passport & wp)- savings or current account & internet banking.

3) Long term visa (show passport) - savings account & internet banking.

4) Short term visa / stamp (show passport plus letter from embassy, home bank or trusted Thai) savings account only.

The higher up this list you are the more additioonal services you will be entittled to.

There's an excellent new booklet, in English, that can be picked up from major branches.

Bangkok Bank nationwide policy (I happen to be doing some work with them at the moment on this very subject):-

1) Resident with appropriate paperwork (show home & alien certifiactes) - savings or current account & internet banking.

2) Working with a working visa (show passport & wp)- savings or current account & internet banking.

4) Short term visa / stamp (show passport plus letter from embassy, home bank or trusted Thai) savings account only.

The higher up this list you are the more additioonal services you will be entittled to.

There's an excellent new booklet, in English, that can be picked up from major branches.

That kind of hierarchy kind of makes sense.... But, a big question of intrepretation would be...what does that bank construe to be a "long-term visa"....

For example...

--student visas that are basically 1 year renewable??

--B business visas without work permit??

--O/O-A retirement visas??

--O married with Thai visas??

That kind of hierarchy kind of makes sense.... But, a big question of intrepretation would be...what does that bank construe to be a "long-term visa"....

For example...

--student visas that are basically 1 year renewable??

--B business visas without work permit??

--O/O-A retirement visas??

--O married with Thai visas??

Any one year visa - all of the above would be ok (for a savings account). A three month work permit may do the job too (I asked somebody at the bank to check for me, but I won't know until the weekend).

That would be consistent with how they treated me...here in BKK...about nine months ago...

I had a business visa, but no work permit then... So I asked for and got a savings account, B1st debit card and internet banking -- just what you indicate a long-term visa would entitle one to....

It was clean and easy...no problem or complication.... The visa stamp is in one's passport, so really all they wanted to see was my passport.

If you're in touch with them, and/or working with them on this... you might also clarify regarding your post above....

In which of those situations above would the B1st debit card also be permitted... or.... would it automatically be permitted, if requested, any time they're opening a new savings account??