16 Provinces Alerted To Cope With Tropical Cyclone Nargis

george

Public Health offices in 8 provinces alerted to cope with tropical cyclone Nargis

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsup Friday issued an urgent order to the public health offices in eight provinces to be on alert on the around-the-clock basis to provide help to people if natural disasters happen because of the influence of tropical cyclone Nargis.

The eight provinces are Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Tak, Sukhothai, Khamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani and Kanchanaburi.

The Meteorological Department announced Friday that as of 10 am Friday, Nargis was centred in the middle Bay of Bengal at latitude 15.9 degree north and longitude 93.0 degree east or about 350 kilometers west of Rangoon with maximum sustained wind of 140 kilometers per hour.

The department warned that the influence of the storm would cause heavy rains in many northern and central provinces.

-- The Nation 2008-05-02

----

Warning

No. 5 (55/2551) Time Issued : May 02, 2008

At 10.00 a.m. today, tropical Cyclone “NARGIS” in the middle Bay of Bengal was centered at latitude 15.9 degree north and longitude 93.0 degree east or about 350 kilometers west of Yangon, Myanmar with maximum sustained wind of 140 kilometers per hour. It is moving eastward with speed of 16 kilometers per hour and will move landfall to Myanmar tonight (2 May 2008). This cause abundance rainfalls and heavy to very heavy rain in many places in the North and the Central during 2-5 May, 2008.

People in the west of Thailand, especially in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani and Kanchanaburi and Ranong provinces should beware of flooding conditions during this period. Rough sea is likely in the Andaman Sea. All ship should proceed with caution and small boat should keep off-shore during this period.

-- Thai Meteorological department 2008-05-02

Related link:

Tropical Cyclone Nargis

Here's a live link to a weather chart:

http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/io0108.gif

Right now, it looks like it will hold together rather well and cross parts of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, and Chiang Rai with close to 100 kph winds, and there will no doubt be torrential rains. I think it may have been a while since a cyclone like this affected northern Thailand.

Also, here is a link for various weather radar displays from across Thailand:

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/

Thanks to folks in the previous / above replies in this thread for the heads up. Wouldn't hurt to tie down / secure loose stuff around the house outside as well as trimming any trees or overgrown shrubs !

Thanks to folks in the previous / above replies in this thread for the heads up. Wouldn't hurt to tie down / secure loose stuff around the house outside as well as trimming any trees or overgrown shrubs !

Any news about when BKK is going to get cooler ???? :o

Ah yes, Sorry George, I'm french!

The link in English is:

http://en.allmetsat.com/images/afwa_igms_ir.php

You also can find what you want by:

www.allmet.sat.com

You can see every 3 hours how the cyclone arrive.

Also a good link for the weather is:

http://french.wunderground.com/global/stations/48327.html

You of course can change the city and the language...

I suspect we'll get lots of rain but the mountains should slow the wind speeds right down by the time it gets here...could trigger local t-storms with very localized heavy winds for a short time tho...

Have a look at this tracking chart:

The tracking point at 03/18Z is just about over Mae Sariang and the winds are predicted to be at 100 kph, and still at a sustained 50 kph all the way up at Mae Sai.

latest picture of progress of cyclone. The effect is very wide and hence if you see carefully, Bangkok will surely see some windy condition and probably rain and cooler temperature. It could also get worse as it may get too muggy. I know it very well as I come from similar region. It can swing either way for those in Bangkok. Either cooler or muggier.

post-26713-1209729392_thumb.png

The projected path is pretty strong and steady. Hope it does not bring in flash floods or uproot too many trees.

Let's see what happens. :o

Edited by FunkyGuru

Update:

14 provinces warned of heavy rains because of tropical cyclone Nargis' influence

BANGKOK: -- The Meteorological Department Friday residents of 14 provinces to brace themselves for heavy rains and flash floods due to influence of tropical cyclone Nragis which will hit Burmese coast Friday night.

In its sixth warning, the department said the cyclone was centered at latitude 15.9 degree north and longitude 93.7 degree east or about 250 kilometers west of Rangoon with maximum sustained wind of 140 kilometers per hour at 4 pm.

The department said the storm would cause heavy rainfalls in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Kanchanaburi and Ranong.

-- The Nation 2008-05-02

------

Warning

No. 6 (56/2551) Time Issued : May 02, 2008

At 04.00 p.m. today, tropical Cyclone “NARGIS” in the middle Bay of Bengal was centered at latitude 15.9 degree north and longitude 93.7 degree east or about 250 kilometers west of Yangon, Myanmar with maximum sustained wind of 140 kilometers per hour. It is moving eastward with speed of 16 kilometers per hour and will move landfall to Myanmar tonight (2 May 2008). This cause abundance rainfalls and heavy to very heavy rain in many places in the North and the Central during 2-5 May, 2008.

People in the west of Thailand, especially in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Kanchanaburi and Ranong provinces should beware of flooding conditions during this period. Rough sea is likely in the Andaman Sea. All ship should proceed with caution and small boat should keep off-shore during this period.

-- Thai Meteorological department 2008-05-02

Related link:

Thai Meterorological Dept. Storm Tracking

I hope everyone in the affected areas takes precautions and also the best of luck to you folks.

I am here in BKK, so don't think we should have too much trouble--we certainly aren't in the direct path like you folks up north.

Just skype'd with my fiance in Chiang Mai. She says they have had a lot of rain for the last few days, but "so far" nothing out of the ordinary going on tonight. I told her to be careful and check the news because she obviously hadn't even heard about it yet.

Just skype'd with my fiance in Chiang Mai. She says they have had a lot of rain for the last few days, but "so far" nothing out of the ordinary going on tonight.

Where is she in Chiang Mai? It absolutely poured just north of the city about three hours ago with some very gusty winds.

Here is another scary picture of the cloud mass of this cyclone. It really looks serious.

Those keen on keeping track of it follow this site.

post-26713-1209730297_thumb.jpg

:o

Awesome! Have told my mother in law in Uthaithani to batten down the hatches. Quite a site Funky!

Thanks for the warning I think we will lock the windows tonight then save getting up in the middle of the night

Cheers

Keep the shiny side up Merv! :D

```````````````

Yes, teelack tells me it's been raining a LOT up in Nong Bhua Lamphu Province the last couple weeks.

The other day when I talked to her at mama's place the rain was so loud on the metal roof I could barely hear her!

Hope everone takes needed precautions in the path of the storm. :o

~WISteve

I suspect we'll get lots of rain but the mountains should slow the wind speeds right down by the time it gets here...could trigger local t-storms with very localized heavy winds for a short time tho...

Have a look at this tracking chart:

The tracking point at 03/18Z is just about over Mae Sariang and the winds are predicted to be at 100 kph, and still at a sustained 50 kph all the way up at Mae Sai.

You mean 55 kph gusting to 75 kph.