Booze Sales Banned During Election

george

Booze sales banned during election

PHUKET: -- There will be a total ban on the sale and provision of alcohol anywhere in Thailand before and during Sunday’s general election.

In accordance with the Election Act, shops, bars, restaurants and hotels are prohibited from selling or providing alcohol to customers or patrons between 6 pm on Saturday, February 5 and midnight at the end of Sunday, February 6.

Although there is no requirement for bars to close, it is expected that many will.

The maximum penalty for owners or managers of outlets selling or distributing alcohol during the election, or even supplying it free, is six months in jail or a 10,000-baht fine, or both.

Pol Col Kokiat Wongvorachart, Deputy Commander of the Provincial Police told the Gazette today that police officers will be checking establishments that are open to ensure that the law is strictly adhered to.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-02-02

Booze sales banned during election

PHUKET: --  There will be a total ban on the sale and provision of alcohol anywhere in Thailand before and during Sunday’s general election.

In accordance with the Election Act, shops, bars, restaurants and hotels are prohibited from selling or providing alcohol to customers or patrons between 6 pm on Saturday, February 5 and midnight at the end of Sunday, February 6.

Although there is no requirement for bars to close, it is expected that many will.

The maximum penalty for owners or managers of outlets selling or distributing alcohol during the election, or even supplying it free, is six months in jail or a 10,000-baht fine, or both.

Pol Col Kokiat Wongvorachart, Deputy Commander of the Provincial Police told the Gazette today that police officers will be checking establishments that are open to ensure that the law is strictly adhered to.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-02-02

I've got the letter in front of me as I type. :o

If anyone is around my part of the woods during the election, I have a number of crates on ice and you are welcome to visit (if you are not Thai). I may not even charge you.

BTW, I am not an "outlet"

:o

You're not even allowed to give it away,although knowing you....................and anyway I thought you planned to put that in next monday :D

No doubt the bars will be selling "Afternoon Tea" instead?

Althought this law has been around for a long time, it is yet another example of the

government treating the people as children.

The Thai Police in Bangkok advised a friend of mine, who runs a pub, to close on Saturday but would therefore be able to sell alcohol on Sunday after 3PM. Apparently after 3PM you can’t vote any more and therefore CAN drink. Well, I don’t know who to believe, the local Police….. :D the PM :D or my friend :D . Just lets wait until Sunday. :o

The Thai Police in Bangkok advised a friend of mine, who runs a pub, to close on Saturday but would therefore be able to sell alcohol on Sunday after 3PM. Apparently after 3PM you can’t vote any more and therefore CAN drink. Well, I don’t know who to believe, the local Police…..  :D the PM  :D or my friend :D . Just lets wait until Sunday. :o

I thought all bars get a letter telling them when they have to close during these periods.

I've got a friend who has just got back from Samui. Shes here in BKK for 1 night. Then flying to Oz tomrrow. She was hoping to go to Patpong for a look. But she likes a beer or two. So is it even worth going there? I'm sure they will be places selling. But no bottles in sight.

There's just never any uniformity in these regulations. Went with friends to a beach 20 km south yesterday and everyone was drinking in the restaurants. Got back into town around 7pm and a 7/11 wouldn't serve me. The Family Mart next door did.

It's 10.15 am, I'm out of beer, so going to a local shop. Doubt they'll turn me down.

Our part of the country complied (generally, I think) with the 6 pm Saturday to midnight Sunday "no booze" rule. However, our woting station closed at 3 pm, so I guess that there was a few "pre-bought" drinks consumed afterwards. My house was open to farang friends all day but luckily only a few turned up.

:o

BTW, it appeared to be a big turn out - our village woting station was packed most of the day.