Dentist

ThaiPauly

How about the Siamrad dental hospital off the super highway on the way to Doi Suthep?

Very good painless treatment, very professional and reasonably priced providing you don't want any implants as they work out at 90,000 baht each (ninety thousand).

Edited by maerim

Ban For Fan at Chiang Mai Gate (inside the gate - to the left of the market as you face it). Its a clinic run by 3 dentists who are all the same standard. Between them I believe they have received extra training in Japan and USA and also teach dentistry here.

Have sent at least 20 visiting friends there and no one can fault them. My family have visited 10+ yrs.

They don't do implants but will recommend a dentist behind CM Uni for that. 1 friend followed that recommendation and found that dentist also very good. Much cheaper than the dental hospital mentioned.

How about the Siamrad dental hospital off the super highway on the way to Doi Suthep?

Very good painless treatment, very professional and reasonably priced providing you don't want any implants as they work out at 90,000 baht each (ninety thousand).

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but ChiangMai Dental Hospital is on the inside frontage road as you approach the RinCome intersection, heading toward Maharaj Hospital, and they're excellent. Open 830 to 830 daily. Phone 053-411150, 053-411151, 053-337102. they must have 20 dentists on their staff.

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but ChiangMai Dental Hospital is on the inside frontage road as you approach the RinCome intersection, heading toward Maharaj Hospital, and they're excellent. Open 830 to 830 daily. Phone 053-411150, 053-411151, 053-337102. they must have 20 dentists on their staff.

I've used the Dental Hospital for perhaps 15 visits... No problems except for a couple of new fillings falling out after a day or so. Good quality on the serious stuff, like root canals, though. And a Quiet Drill, believe it or not...

I'm thinking about switching to the guy on Nimehamen that uses gas.. :o

Edited by Ajarn

I went to Grace Dental Clinic back in March for cleaning & whitening. Top-notch professional/friendly service and treatment - made my London dentist look Victorian......... and I intend to get some old fillings and a crown sorted out next time I'm in CM (June). I suspect they may be more expensive than some of the smaller ones mentioned?

If you have a general idea about what you need done, I suggest you call a few and compare their rates. Personally, I'd prefer to pay a bit more than have new fillings drop out after a day or so.............

http://www.gracedentalclinic.com/

Edited by Steve2UK

hi'

I remember a good one up suthep rd, on left hand side, after the canal.

going up, you pass tomprayom market, traffic lights, canal, and there is a dental clinic.

reasonnable price and good job.

I have sent a few people there, and they were all happy :o

francois

My German girlfiend loves Grace. She hates dentists as a rule but had to go for root canal work and has now had all her old fillings replaced.

She says that all the dentists who practise there are lovely, but it ain't cheap. However they are certainly better equiped than anything we could have afforded in the UK or Germany.

I've been using Kitcha dental clinic on Chang Loh Rd for years, always been quite happy with their work, dentists educated abroad, etc. I get my teeth cleaned about every 6 months, and at Kitcha that service costs 400B.

On a whim I went to Grace two days ago, nice looking place. Had my teeth cleaned (only, no exam, etc), at a cost 1300B, over 3x the cost at Kitcha. The cleaning was not as good as at Kitcha. Needless to say, I won't be going back to Grace.

I am an unabashed Grace fan, she does wonderful work and is on the cutting edge of technology as she is a professor at CMU, as are all of here staff dentists who come in to do their specialties.

By the way, Grace is her daughter's name.

Most dentists, upon seeing my dental work, comment on how good it is and of all the dentists I have gone to, I like Grace the best.

I am an unabashed Grace fan, she does wonderful work and is on the cutting edge of technology as she is a professor at CMU, as are all of here staff dentists who come in to do their specialties.

By the way, Grace is her daughter's name.

Most dentists, upon seeing my dental work, comment on how good it is and of all the dentists I have gone to, I like Grace the best.

There are 22 dentists on staff at Grace, perhaps you could be more specific?

The cleaning I got at Grace was the 2nd worst I've ever received in 28 years of Thai dentistry (the worst was at a place near Somphet Market, I forget the name). Everyone at Grace was very nice and the place looked very spic and span, but I feel I get better dentistry and better value at Kitcha, at least comparing the cleaning. Certainly I can't see any reason to pay 3x what I normally pay.

I've also had very good service at the dental hospital on the superhighway.

I was refering to the owner of the clinic, the first woman dentist to the lop left of the picture board in the lobby whose daughter is named Grace.

I have only used that lady, sorry I have no name, and I refused to pay their orthodontist to clean my teeth at 1200 Baht. Had it done by a local clinic doctor, but he was pretty messy and rough. For those who don't know it, in Thailand, only a dentist can clean your teeth.

If your happy with dental care elsewhere, go for it. Why change?

"Dr. Grace" specialize in crown work so other than some general filling and crown work you probably would get another dentist there unless you specify.

Threre are falang who come from overseas to this clinic, but if there are over 20 dentists doing work at this clinic, I suspect there is a rough one among the group.

How about Dentaland? I was in Chiang Mai this past winter and took my 3 year old to see the famous Dr. Nik for his first Dental visit. Very impressed. I know they specialize in kids stuff but after the first pleasant experience with our son my wife and I decided to have our work done there as well. In fact I even had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed and was quite pleased with the whole experience.

What do you locals think of Dentaland?

Chiang Mai has a better than average supply of dental clinics, largely due to the dental school at CMU. These dentists don't necessarily graduate from CMU, but may be teaching there.

Don't know much about Dentaland, though I've driven past it, but I think it pays to compare pricing as well as service. There are obviously some clinics that charge double and triple the going rate but offer equivalent service, simply because they market to farang expats. I've yet to find a dentist in Chiang Mai who couldn't speak English.

Factoid: about 80% of the dentists in Thailand are women.

I've been using Kitcha dental clinic on Chang Loh Rd for years, always been quite happy with their work, dentists educated abroad, etc. I get my teeth cleaned about every 6 months, and at Kitcha that service costs 400B.

Want to have a look at the Kitcha clinic. Where is Chang Loh road? Thanks if location can be explained.

Want to have a look at the Kitcha clinic. Where is Chang Loh road? Thanks if location can be explained.

It is on the moat, outside, south.

The location of a number of dental clinics is on this map, not Gracedental though.

http://www.chiangmaidentalcare.com/image/map.swf

Joop

How about Dentaland?  I was in Chiang Mai this past winter and took my 3 year old to see the famous Dr. Nik for his first Dental visit.  Very impressed.  I know they specialize in kids stuff but after the first pleasant experience with our son my wife and I decided to have our work done there as well.  In fact I even had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed and was quite pleased with the whole experience. 

What do you locals think of Dentaland?

I swear by Dentaland, and would not be happy to have to go elsewhere. Dr. Nik is the best Paediactric dentist I have ever come across. (He is also closely related to the famous Burin who contributes so regularly to the letter pages of the Post & Nation. So one can have interesting conversations with him while the kids are being "done".) My children ages 5, 6, 13 and 15 have all used him on several occasions. The younger ones have been nowhere else.

For adult dentistry they have some very good people too. I have had several procedures undertaken there and never had a problem.

Previously I have used Grace, Ram Hospital & the Dental Hospital, but Dentaland is in a class of its own.

• 1 year later...

My friend and I need good general dental checks and cleaning; very likely some further treatment/s will be needed (not sure of what kind, precisely, until checked out :o ).

There are also many adverts for teeth whitening. Has anyone had this done and would you recommend any particular methods/clinics ?

(Bringing this thread up to the top in hope of up-to-date reports and recommendations. Thanks.)

Folks, how about tooth fillings? What is the general price range? I visited a small clinic along Suthep road, and they charged me 600b for a porcelain filling, and 500-600b for cleaning. For Thai, it's written 300-400b for cleaning at the frontdesk. :o

sabaijai, you are absolutely right. The dentists that i've met spoke pretty decent English, much better than other professions including doctors.

P.s. we know dental treatment is alot more expensive over in the States/Euro, but can we pay Thai prices?

America:The average cost for one-surface filling in 1999 was $65.09, compared to the average cost for placement of a dental sealant ($29.09).

It is on the moat, outside, south.

The location of a number of dental clinics is on this map, not Gracedental though.

http://www.chiangmaidentalcare.com/image/map.swf

Joop

Can't get the link, temporarily supended. how much is the whitening cost? roughly tell us the cost in Kitcha dental clinic.

Grace and Dentaland dentists - tried them both.

I booked for straightforward teeth cleaning at both. The first decided I needed 55,000 baht of treatment! They never got round to cleaning my teeth, all i got was quite a hard sell which consisted of lengthy involved treatment. All of which totally unneeded.

The second had me waiting 20 minutes for a booked appointment when i asked how long it would be before i saw the dentist another 20 minutes (40 minutes) . Asked to rebook to get my teeth cleaned - that would be 2 weeks - forget it.

Went to a small dentist on Tha Pae gate. Done and dusted in 45 minutes - total cost 500 baht. Very friendly staff and the woman dentist speaks good english. :o

Grace and Dentaland dentists - tried them both.

I booked for straightforward teeth cleaning at both. The first decided I needed 55,000 baht of treatment! They never got round to cleaning my teeth, all i got was quite a hard sell which consisted of lengthy involved treatment. All of which totally unneeded.

The second had me waiting 20 minutes for a booked appointment when i asked how long it would be before i saw the dentist another 20 minutes (40 minutes) . Asked to rebook to get my teeth cleaned - that would be 2 weeks - forget it.

Went to a small dentist on Tha Pae gate. Done and dusted in 45 minutes - total cost 500 baht. Very friendly staff and the woman dentist speaks good english. :o

wow 55,000 baht that's over too much, crazy. Tha Pae gate clinic one cost 500 baht on what kind of treatment? What is the clinic name? Does it do a good job?

American dentist with an office on the road to Doi Saket, accross from the big market just before the turn to San Sai (sam yeek San Sai) has been in Chiang Mai a long time teaching and taking care of teeth. Never had a problem after 10 years of cleanings, fillings and crowns. Reasonable prices and gives out good information. 228/4-5 CM-DoiSaket Rd. 053 491813

It seems the most important thing is which dentist takes care of you. Typically each clinic will have more than one dentist, and each dentist will have a specific field of expertise.

So it might make sense to also recommend doctors, not only clinics...

To kick this off, for anyone who is in need of gum treatment I can wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Darede who runs a clinic opposite Ruam Phaed Hospital, south of Chiang Mai gate (i.e. outside of the moat and wall).

Dr. Darede is a professor at CMU and she has studied dentistry in Denmark. Her English is very good and she is an exceptionally gentle and capable dentist. Her treatment style puts you at ease, and she is nigh psychic in sensing if the patient hurts without you having to even say anything.

However, I would advice against getting any fillings done there, as it is not Dr. Darede herself who takes care of those, and I have not been happy with the fillings I got there, so I am currently on the lookout for a new clinic for that.

American dentist with an office on the road to Doi Saket, accross from the big market just before the turn to San Sai (sam yeek San Sai) has been in Chiang Mai a long time teaching and taking care of teeth. Never had a problem after 10 years of cleanings, fillings and crowns. Reasonable prices and gives out good information. 228/4-5 CM-DoiSaket Rd. 053 491813

That might be Dr Lamberton, one of the dental legends in Thailand and certainly in Chiang Mai. He must be up into his 80s by now. Most dentists in Chiang Mai were either taught by Dr. Lamberton or by his former students. He is one of the primary reasons that quality dental care in Chiang Mai is relatively easy to find.

He has been working his Adventist Dental clinic in Chiang Mai since, well I won't venture to say how many decades, but decades before I ever showed up at his older clinic on Chotana near Bangkok Bank.

I can't think of another long term Farang in Chiang Mai who has earned more respect and more bun khuun from even the highest members of the local society than Dr. Lamberton. The man is a saint, and I ain't neither Catholic nor an Adventist.

That might be Dr Lamberton, one of the dental legends in Thailand and certainly in Chiang Mai. He must be up into his 80s by now. Most dentists in Chiang Mai were either taught by Dr. Lamberton or by his former students. He is one of the primary reasons that quality dental care in Chiang Mai is relatively easy to find.

He has been working his Adventist Dental clinic in Chiang Mai since, well I won't venture to say how many decades, but decades before I ever showed up at his older clinic on Chotana near Bangkok Bank.

I can't think of another long term Farang in Chiang Mai who has earned more respect and more bun khuun from even the highest members of the local society than Dr. Lamberton. The man is a saint, and I ain't neither Catholic nor an Adventist.

Yes, it is Dr. Lamberton, sorry I could not recall his name, getting old. I do not know his age but his mind and eyes are still very clear and his hands steady. It is not called Adventist Dental clinic anymore, name changed a few years ago.

wow 55,000 baht that's over too much, crazy. Tha Pae gate clinic one cost 500 baht on what kind of treatment? What is the clinic name? Does it do a good job?

500 baht scale and polish. The dentist is just round the corner at the top of Tha Pae Road as the road swings left to the moat (next to the now defunct shopping centre).

[To kick this off, for anyone who is in need of gum treatment I can wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Darede who runs a clinic opposite Ruam Phaed Hospital, south of Chiang Mai gate (i.e. outside of the moat and wall).

Dr. Darede is a professor at CMU and she has studied dentistry in Denmark. Her English is very good and she is an exceptionally gentle and capable dentist. Her treatment style puts you at ease, and she is nigh psychic in sensing if the patient hurts without you having to even say anything.

/quote]

I had my teeth cleaned in the usual fashion by Dr. Darede in May. She charged me 2 x 800 baht, i e Bt 1600 for the whole job, which I find exorbitant, to say the least. Had an excellent cleaning job at Pattaya International Hospital in -05 for Bt 1000, which I at the time found expensive, considering there were plenty of smaller dentist shops doing it for Bt 500.

• 4 weeks later...