VAT 7%?

As far as I know is in Thailand VAT 7%, I wonder, is that on all goods apart from import duty or on food, or is on food also 7% VAT?

I ask this because I bought cheese at Makro last week.

When you look at the sticker you will see that I paid considerably more than 7% namely more than 15%.

Or is this import duty, however youshouldn't report that as VAT.

sticker.jpeg

Edited by Peterphuket

53 minutes ago, Sophon said:

I assume that when you say you paid more than 7% VAT, you are referring to the difference between the printed price excl. VAT of Baht 689.72 and the price you paid of Baht 806.00? 

If that is correct, you seem to be missing that the price excl. VAT is the price per kg., so to reach the final price you have to do 689.72 x 1.092 x 1.07.

That must be it. Very clever, thanks for the explanation.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Sigh, the pricing is 100% correct and the farang, once again, is wrong.

The price of the cheese per kg is 689.72 baht.

The size of the cheese is 1.092 kg.

1.092 kg x 689.72 baht = 753.17 baht

753.17 baht + 7% VAT = 806 baht....which is exactly what it says on the sticker.

So true, but if you don't speak the language, you won't be able to see the price per kg.

In bold, I'll see the price I have to pay, underneath Excl. Vat  689.72, than you can draw the conclusion from that.

price excl vat is per kg (written in thai)

689.72*1.07*1.092=805.89 rounded to the nearest .25 which is allowed 

however, if the whole wheel was labelled from europe as being 1Kg, the 92grams could be the weight of the packaging, wraps, films and label which ideally they should deduct from the weight but rarely do, when sold in slices they might subtract the packaging weight