Typhoon "Damrey" to bring heavy rain to Thailand

george

Typhoon "Damrey" to bring heavy rain to Thailand this week

BANGKOK: -- A new arrival on the season storm scene--Typhoon "Damrey"--is now moving from the South China Sea toward Thailand and is expected to enter the northern and northeastern regions with heavy rain this week, said the chief of Meteorological Department Sunday.

Director-General Suparerk Tansriratanawong told a press conference that typhoon "Damrey" -- which means "Elephant" in Cambodia's Khmer language--was centred about 220 km from China's Hainan Island at 7am and had a wind speed of 130 km/hr.

He said the amount of rain that the typhoon would bring would be almost as great as tropical depression "Vicente" that hit Thailand earlier this month.

Mr. Suparak said the typhoon would first hit the northeastern region on Tuesday (September 27) and the remaining regions on Wednesday and Thursday (September 28-29).

Residents living near flood-prone areas in the northeastern and northern regions should take an extra precautions this week, he added.(

--TNA 2005-09-25

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TYPHOON ‘DAMREY’ IS EXPECTED TO HIT THAILAND’S NORTH AND NORTHEAST SOON

BANGKOK: -- The Meteorological Department has issued an announcement warning people in the north and northeast of another violent tropical storm named ‘Damrey’. The storm is expected to hit the areas soon.

Typhoon ‘Damrey’ is currently located at the latitude 19 degrees north and longitude 113 degrees east, centred in the South China Sea about 230 kilometres from Hainan Island. With the maximum epicentre speed of 120 kilometres per hour, it is moving in a westerly direction and expected to bring heavy precipitation to Thailand. Residents in the north and northeast, especially in the upper northern and upper north-eastern areas, are being urged to be on the lookout for possible dangers.

They must be in full preparation for sudden flooding and flash flood as well as rivers’ overflow and inundation over the next couple of days from September 26th to 29th. At the same time, as waves and winds in Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand is getting stronger, special care for fishing vessels is highly recommended.

--thaisnews.com 2005-09-25

Seems no end to this.  Rain OK, but this is just OTT.  My wife is still trying to get her car dried out after being caught in flooding in Hang Dong area.  This is even after she moved it when a neighbor said the water levels were rising.

Well well, and some people still claim there is no such thing as global warming. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

The Sky is Falling, the sky is falling....

According to non Thai Meterologists, it may not affect Thailand much (at least that is my interpretation)... this was issued from America on the 25th at 0900 utc... it's the forcast for 72 hours from then...

---

72 HRS, VALID AT:

280600Z --- 21.1N 102.1E

MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 025 KT, GUSTS 035 KT

DISSIPATED AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER LAND

and this is from Australia:

28 Sep, 12:00 72 hrs 21.4 N 101.4 E 20 kts

Damrey.bmp

Seems no end to this.  Rain OK, but this is just OTT.  My wife is still trying to get her car dried out after being caught in flooding in Hang Dong area.  This is even after she moved it when a neighbor said the water levels were rising.

Well well, and some people still claim there is no such thing as global warming. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

:o I guess signing the Keeyoto treaty would have helped prevent all bad weather by taxing them bad Americans while allowing the competing countries a chance to catch up with those Capitalist.

Just to say thanks for the posts about weather I dont watch the TV and never look at the weather on internet but notice of your posts come via email and that I read. I live in middle Thailand about 300km north of BKK we were going to ChangMai this coming week but now I dont think so later maybe.

Thanks Again :o

:o I guess signing the Keeyoto treaty would have helped prevent all bad weather by taxing them bad Americans while allowing the competing countries a chance to catch up with those Capitalist.

This Guy is a joke and has no idea what he is talking about.unlike the small countrys of the world that have no laws in place about how much polution their factorys can expell into the air.We Americans have had in place laws against this for years.This Keeoto treaty is something for smaller countrys which have nothing in place right now.This was a treaty to set a giude lines for them to obey and cut down their polution levels.like I siad this guy is a fool

This Guy is a joke and has no idea what he is talking about.unlike the small countrys of the world that have no laws in place about how much polution their factorys can expell into the air.We Americans have had in place laws against this for years.This Keeoto treaty is something for smaller countrys which have nothing in place right now.This was a treaty to set a giude lines for them to obey and cut down their polution levels.like I siad this guy is a fool

Uh, pardon me, but one of my fearless leader's (Boy George) first acts upon ascending the now presidential US throne was to end all discussions about his now imperial government's involvement in signing the Kyoto Accord because it woud have placed too great a burden upon his corporate sponsers. The US, my country which angers me to no end currently, remains the world's largest producer of "greenhouse gas" pollutions.

To parphrase Marx, George Bush may look like an idiot and George Bush may talk like an idiot. But don't let that fool you. George W. Bush really is an idiot.

Not as much of one as the Muppet in the miniature St Paul's Cathedral that some refer to as the First Home - At least the poster above recognises that global warming IS happening and that something needs done about pollution.

Plus survey after survey, and report after report, have stated that the USA is the world's largest emitter of greenhouse gases and other atmospheric pollutants ..... despite all the regulation and control you talk about.

Here's a good audio link about insurance actuariallism and the 30-40year cycle of hurricanes in the Western hemisphere, including global warming considerations:

Insurance Companies Eye Impact of Disasters

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4862128

In case you're interested:

Oil Patch in Direct Line of Storm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4862131

The full program link for Weekend Edition Saturday:

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=7

Oh, some of you "pedophiles" might like this. ;-)

A Reading from Nabokov's 'Lolita'

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4862134

what is a 'depression'? like, why does it get a name?

what is a typhoon? not the same as hurricane?

i always thought cyclones were tornadoes?

clarify, anyone?

and what are the thai/issan names for these different things?

as opposed to just: storm?

what is a 'depression'?  like, why does it get a name?

clarify, anyone?

One difference between a hurricane and a typhoon is geographics. Hurricanes occur in the northern hemisphere and typhoons the southern hemisphere.

I think cyclones and tornadoes are the same thing; remember the 'Wizard of Oz'?

I'm pretty sure Dorothy called it a cyclone and she was in Kansas.

[]

Hello George W.....

One difference between a hurricane and a typhoon is geographics. Hurricanes occur in the northern hemisphere and typhoons the southern hemisphere.

Cyclones go anti-clockwise in the Northern hemisphere, if I remember rightly,

and if large enough are called Hurricanes. The occur around the American continent

Typhoons are similar, but are an Asian phenominon. Literally Typhoon means Big Wind

in Chinese.

Both are "large scale" storms.

Names are assigned by the weather bureau to differentiate between the number of storms in a particular season. Western names for hurricanes in the Americas,

and more recently Asian names for the typhoons in that region.

The names used to go alphabetically.

Tornados are similar, but very much more localised. See US mid west.

Hope this helps

Edited by astral

Cyclones go anti-clockwise in the Northern hemisphere, if I remember rightly,

and if large enough are called Hurricanes. The occur around the American continent

Typhoons are similar, but are an Asian phenominon. Literally Typhoon means Big Wind

in Chinese.

Both are "large scale" storms.

Names are assigned by the weather bureau to differentiate between the number of storms in a particular season. Western names for hurricanes in the Americas,

and more recently Asian names for the typhoons in that region.

The names used to go alphabetically.

Tornados are similar, but very much more localised. See US mid west.

Hope this helps

(taken from website referred to below)

The terms "hurricane" and "typhoon" are regionally specific names for a strong "tropical cyclone". A tropical cyclone is the generic term for a non-frontal synoptic scale low-pressure system over tropical or sub-tropical waters with organized convection (i.e. thunderstorm activity) and definite cyclonic surface wind circulation (Holland 1993).

see... http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A1.html

for more

Whereas I do believe the arguments for the existence of global warming, it is far too simplistic to attribute the current weather activities on this alone. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that hurricane and cyclone activity is cyclic.

The current situation is also reported by the media in ways not possible a few years ago. Also a lot of the damage caused is a result of the man-created environment in these areas; i.e. building below sea level, de-forestation, damming of rivers, silting resulting from agriculture.

As for USA’s role in global warming and Keeyoto…despite any anti-pollution laws they may have they still produce a quarter of all the world's greenhouse gases. Also I believe their consumption of energy per capita is exceeded only by the Australians. One dirty power station in China is a problem but this is nothing when set against the hundreds of “clean” ones in the USA…

clarify, anyone?

Hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons are names for what is in fact essentially the same thing.....hurricanes occur in the northern hemisphere, typhoons in Asia and cyclones Southern hemisphere.

A tornado is a “small” tight swirl that occurs on land in the periphery of a storm. If it occurs at sea it is called a water spout.

The air around the earth consists of areas of high and low pressure as measured by a barometer in millebars per sq. inch. A low pressure area is also called a depression.

The air in and around these cells constantly moves,in the Southern Hemisphere a high pressure area revolves anti-clockwise and a low goes clock-wise. (in the Northern Hemisphere they revolve the opposite way)

The lines you see drawn on a weather map are called isobars and generally the closer these lines are together is an indication of wind speed.(the tighter the lines ,the stronger the winds ).

Typhoon,cyclone and hurricanes are basically the same thing and are regional names given to the phenomena.

Tornadoes and waterspouts are formed in the upper atmosphere as cyclonic (spinning) low pressure areas which are drawn to earth by gravitational foces.

Strongest typhoon in 30 years hits Hainan Island

The strongest typhoon hit southern China's Hainan island in more than 30 years early Monday, sending residents scattering for shelter and endangering crops of rice, rubber and bananas.

Typhoon Damrey made landfall north of Hainan's Wanning City Sunday with wind speeds of up to 198 kph, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

It was the island's strongest typhoon since September 1973.

--The Nation 2005-09-26

Sodden provinces bracing for typhoon Damrey

BANGKOK: -- There have been warnings about further flooding and landslides over large areas of Thailand as a new typhoon, named Damrey, approaches the North and Northeast. The typhoon may also disrupt the government’s plan to conduct the first aircraft landing test at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Thursday.

Typhoon Damrey was upgraded from tropical storm status yesterday and last night was centred over China’s Hainan province, southwest of Hong Kong. It was expected to move across the Gulf of Tonkin to be centred somewhere between Hanoi and Vientiane by tomorrow.

The Meteorological Depart-ment warned of the possibility of more flooding, particularly in the North and Northeast, as Typhoon Damrey seems set to dump torrential rain on already saturated parts of the country.

The department’s director-general, Suparerk Tansriratanawong, said residents in the North and Northeast would probably begin to feel the impact of the typhoon today.

It will affect central, southern and eastern regions from Wednesday, he said.

The Mineral Resources Department also warned residents in the North and Northeast about possible landslides if the typhoon brings torrential rain.

It identified Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Tak, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Phetchabun, Loei and nearby provinces as risky areas.

In Chiang Mai, more than 300 workers have reinforced the banks of the Ping River to prevent another inundation of the city centre.

Chiang Mai Mayor Boonlert Buranupakorn said he was confident the city would withstand the typhoon without further flooding.

“We have 20,000 sandbags ready to form temporary embankments at risky spots,” he said.

Chiang Mai Governor Suwat Tantipat said workmen and military personnel were dredging sewerage pipes, canals and waterways as a measure against further flooding.

In the northeastern province of Ubon Ratchathani, some areas are already flooded. Water is more than one metre deep in the Sai Panom Road area, and people are using boats to travel.

Following warnings about the approaching typhoon, the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation office appealed for further assistance for flood victims.

Meteorological Department director-general Suparerk said a typhoon over the country’s North coupled with a westerly wind would probably bring rain to Suvarnabhumi Airport on Thursday, when the first landing test was scheduled.

“It’s going to rain in the morning on that day and, in the afternoon and at night, it’s going to rain even harder,” Suparerk said.

Surajit Surapolchai, senior executive vice president of Airports of Thailand Plc, said the landing test would go ahead as planned if there was just drizzle.

“But a heavy downpour may affect the landing plan. We have not yet made plans to deal with such circumstances,” he admitted.

He said it would be up to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra whether the landing test on Thursday was cancelled.

Thaksin is scheduled to be on board the aircraft that makes the first landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Meanwhile, Bangkok City Clerk Nathanon Thavisin disclosed yesterday that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) had earmarked Bt51 million as an emergency fund for assistance to flood victims in case the typhoon hits the capital.

She identified Nong Chok, Min Buri, Lat Phrao, Khlong Sam Wa and Prawet districts as flood-prone areas.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Samart Ratchapolsitte said the BMA’s drainage and sewerage department had been instructed to urgently form temporary embankments along the Chao Phya River and to release water from canals into the river and out to sea.

In the eastern province of Prachin Buri, many areas are flooded. Kaew Pichit Temple, famous for its blend of Thai, European, Chinese and Cambodian architecture, is knee-deep in floodwater.

--The Nation 2005-09-26

Rains picked for Thaksin's test flight

BANGKOK: -- The first test flight into Suvarnabhumi airport on Thursday may encounter bad weather as Typhoon Damrey is bringing heavy rain to most parts of the country this week. Meteorological Department chief Supakorn Tansrirattanawong said rain had been forecast on Thursday morning when the test flight carrying members of the media and dignitaries as well as Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would touch down at the new airport.

Mr Supakorn said the rain would not be heavy although there was a chance of increased rainfall in the afternoon and evening.

Wet weather is predicted in the days ahead as Typhoon Damrey, centred 220 kilometres east of Hainan island as of 7am yesterday, moves west packing a 130 kilometre per hour wind, according to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, quoting the Meteorological Department's weather report.

Heavy downpours are likely, beginning with the Northeast tomorrow before gradually sweeping over the East, North and Central regions from Wednesday to Thursday.

The department warned of possible flash floods and water runoff spilling over river banks and dykes.

It urged residents in low-lying areas particularly in the North and Northeast to prepare for surging water.

In Chiang Mai, municipal officials were out in force to erect sandbags along sections of the Ping river which pass through the city centre.

Officials said the province which suffered heavy damage from recent downpours was not taking any chances. Embankments stretching 500 metres from Muang Fai Phaya Kham to the Provincial Electricity Authority office on Chiang Mai-Lamphun road were being reinforced. The Ping river yesterday stood at 3.10 metres below crisis level. In Prachin Buri, landmark Wat Kaew Pichit was flooded as a result of continued rain.

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has earmarked 51 million baht of emergency funds to help city residents in case of floods, said city clerk Nathanon Thavisin.

--Bangkok Post 2005-09-26