Traffic Police Could Face Charges Of Extortion

george

Traffic police could face charges of extortion

Flood of complaints from motorists prompts probe into widespread misconduct

BANGKOK: -- After being deluged with complaints from the public, the Royal Thai Police has ordered a probe into the widespread allegations that traffic police collect illegal tolls from motorists, a deputy police inspector said yesterday.

The roads where most of the illegal tolls are allegedly collected are Vibhavadi-Rangsit and Bang Na-Trat, said Maj-General Somyos Phumphanmoung who is in charge of the probe.

Officers will monitor the locations identified in complaints and take photographs and videos to use as evidence of any misconduct they uncover, he said.

If no misconduct is found, the traffic checkpoints will be inspected to ensure they are official.

Public complaints indicate that there are many unauthorised checkpoints set up by rogue officers throughout the city.

Officers found guilty of collecting illegal tolls face charges of extortion and abuse of authority, Somyos said.

Initial investigations found that the illegal tolls were being collected in the same way a criminal network extorts money, he said.

“The national police chief wants traffic police to do stick to the job of directing traffic flows and advising motorists about routes, and not try to gain illegal benefits or bribes from traffic tickets,” Somyos said.

He urged the public to file complaints of police corruption at the website www.jaray.police.go.th, or by calling the hotline 1299, or (02) 205 1148 and (02) 205 1299. The lines are open 24 hours a day.

Somyos also identified 14 places where illegal tolls are allegedly collected, including Vibhavadi-Rangsit, Rama IV, Kanchanapisek, Phaholyothin and Rachapreuk roads. Checkpoints have been set up near areas where minor traffic infractions are common.

For example, for the inbound lanes of Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road, a checkpoint was set up about 100 metres from the passenger pick-up spot in front of Jae Leng Plaza.

Rather than directing traffic and helping motorists, officers at the checkpoint were focused on collecting money from taxi drivers who picked up passengers outside the authorised zone, he said.

Police at three other checkpoints – near a police housing compound on Ratchayothin, the entrance of Din Daeng tollway and in front of Don Muang Airforce Base – spend much of their time ticketing drivers for illegally switching lanes.

Illegal tolls are also allegedly collected at Soi Charan Sanitwong 13, and Tripetch, Ngarmwongwan, Sathorn Nua and Phetburi roads, as well as at the Surawong and Urupong intersections.

--The Nation 2006-02-17

I know we all at times complain about the police, and this coffee money scamming that goes on, and although it is of course illegal, I do see why some officers take it up.

I heartily agree with this "crackdown" - but I am also aware of at least one of the underlying causes - police salaries are too low.

Yes we need to try to stamp out illegal activities like this, but we also need to consider that police have families to support too - so deal with the problem at it's root - see what needs to be done to prevent this form of "soft" corruption from becoming almost a necessity for some of our police.

Illegal collection of money in this way is certainly extortion, and it must not go unpunished - BUT - there must be an underlying cause, and I believe one factor at least is the poor rates of "official" pay these guys get.

A lot of the police do great work, and I believe that many, if not most, are generally honest people just doing a job - we must not condemn the whole force because there are some who abuse their power.

A lot of the police do great work, and I believe that many, if not most, are generally honest people just doing a job - we must not condemn the whole force because there are some who abuse their power.

And i believe you never had a closer look at how the Thai police works from the inside. Even advancement in rank and profitable stationing has to be bought from superior officers. I even know of one police station which had to switch off their aircons for a few weeks because the retiring head of the station has embezzled the budget for the electricity bill.

Yes, salaries for officers have to rise, and at the same time some systhem of accountability has to be introduced and also enforced. It won't work by the usual heavy punishments of posting offending officers somehwere else, or the really heavy punishment of sending them to an inactive post - meaning that they are cut off from the gravy train until grass has grown over whatever offence they committed.

Once while you have a crackdown, a few low ranked officers loose their job, their superiors are send somewhere else, and soon enough things are as they always were.

You have a great sense of humor..

"some" ? All of them !

"great work" ? You must think about another country...

Give a uniform, boots, and a gun to a thai without education... and you create a monster.

Come back on earth.

Anyone else ever witness this?

I was in a cab headed to Bumrungrad Hospital when we were approached by a traffic cop. After a heated discussion we drove off. I asked the cabbie "what was that all about?" He said, "he wanted money". The cabbie never paid up, but I could tell he was pissed off.

That old chesnut again, as pointed out by Greer, Police salaries are too low. Does the Police force have conscription, do they have press gangs roaming the streets? Of course they don't, they're all in the job by choice, if the money's not good enough they always have the option to find other employment.

K. Jean is right, greed and power. I suppose they also think they get respect when they put the uniform on, can they not tell the difference between fear and respect? How can anyone respect corruption, incompetence, laziness and arrogance? How can anyone respect officers that ignore the very laws they're supposed to uphold?

Yes there are many officers that do a good job, that aren't corrupt, incompetent, lazy and arrogant. They're the ones that deserve respect, not the rest of the muppets. As for anything changing, for the better, in the forseeable future, TIT. Sad isn't it?

Traffic police could face charges of extortion

Flood of complaints from motorists prompts probe into widespread misconduct

Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose ... I've seen "contributions" paid to the boysinbrown as low as 40 Baht and I've seen haggling the copper down from 200B to 100B and the extortionist complaining that he was loosing money. The driver quickly asked the policeman:"..loosing money are you? And what did you exactly invest"? :o

There is also the point to note, however, that at at least 2 locations they are actually now using speed cameras! - the toll on the Don Muang tollway after the DM exit, and the 10 baht toll on the Chaeng Wattana highway coming in to BKK.

I went past the DM exit on wednesday morning at a steady 90kph, and sure enough there was the MiB with his camera. Got to the toll and was waved straight through, no problem.

The camerea for the CW expressway is at the last entry before the toll. He has a good view along the long straight stretch ( at least 1.5 km) before the toll, so once you come over the bridge after Muang Thong Thani make sure you're within the speed limit.

:o

And you truly believe that the scams will ceade after the BiB get a pay rise? As Sierra pointed out, there are all in there by their own free will. If you don't like your job and/or your salary, you have the freedom to switch.

Here is a chance to really make a difference in Thailand. If you live in or around Bangkok you could get with your friends and contact each other by cell phone whenever you see this bribe extorting happening and then show up with cameras and record what happens and make connections with some honest police officers (yes, they do exist) and start a crime busting ring....I know there are dangers involved but this is the kind of thing that could actuallyi make a difference.

I know we all at times complain about the police, and this coffee money scamming that goes on, and although it is of course illegal, I do see why some officers take it up.

I heartily agree with this "crackdown" - but I am also aware of at least one of the underlying causes - police salaries are too low.

Yes we need to try to stamp out illegal activities like this, but we also need to consider that police have families to support too - so deal with the problem at it's root - see what needs to be done to prevent this form of "soft" corruption from becoming almost a necessity for some of our police.

Illegal collection of money in this way is certainly extortion, and it must not go unpunished - BUT - there must be an underlying cause, and I believe one factor at least is the poor rates of "official" pay these guys get.

I have a difficult time agreeing with your rationale... They knew what the salaries were before they made the decision to become police officers. and further, I believe that if you gave them a raise to an appropriate amount, the scamming would continue... Scamming is probably one of the reasons they become police officers.

The answer, in my opinion.....If they break the law...arrest them and prosecute them.....In theory, at some point, there would be no more scamming and maybe no one would want to be a police officer because of the low salary...Then you look at raising salaries, but not until the graft and corruption is totally gone....

BANGKOK: -- After being deluged with complaints from the public, the Royal Thai Police has ordered a probe into the widespread allegations that traffic police collect illegal tolls from motorists, a deputy police inspector said yesterday.

But how is this extortion? Most of the people that are pulled over *have* actually committed some sort of traffic violation (even if its a trivial one). The driver usually pays less than the official fine. Isn't the real issue that the money goes into the cops pockets, not to the government?

Anyway - there's been a checkpoint on the northern end of the Phahonyohtin flyover that crosses Ngam Wong Wan/See Yairk Kaset for the last *2 years* or so. They're there every day, booking motorcycles as they come off the flyover. They never book anyone else.

Police inspectors are probing alleged inappropriate behaviors of traffic police nationwide.

Police Inspector Office has ordered a task force to inspect alleged inappropriate behaviors of traffic police nationwide, after receiving complaints that the traffic police collect illegal tolls from motorists.

Deputy police inspector Major-general Somyos Pumpanmuang (สมยศ พุ่มพันธุ์ม่วง), who is overseeing the probe, said yesterday the office has received complaints about the wrongdoing of several traffic police officers at more than 20 locations. He said that the probe team has been told to gather evidence, using video camera to record pictures and collect details. He said that the team must report its findings every fifteen days.

Major-general Somyos added that he has received reports from the team that at least 2 officers are found to have committed misconduct. He said that the police were found to allow wrongdoing to occur first, before tipping another police team to stop the drivers.

He added that cooperation from taxi and truck associations as well as the people is needed. He said that the people can file complaints at 02-205-1148, 02-205-1299, or at the website www.jaray.go.th

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 Febuary 2006

So now I know why I haven't seen them this week on the toll way at the Viphavadi-Rangsit toll way. :D

As somone who travels their 5 days a week I know what the BIB are like. Thieves in uniform. Or legal robbery. Having seen them progressed over the last few years to a hand held camera (which was not a speed camera) to a more sophisticated device, I an say that they are still as dishonest as ever.

They have progressed from hiding behind the toll booths, to the exit from the airport. 12 days in a row I was pulled over (they must have been under pressure for money) and not once was I speeding. It got to the point where the officers there recognise me. No I have never given them any money. My advice don't speak in Thai, smile and be polite and be firm with your answer.

Another classic point where these wonderful public servants are positioned is outside the airport. I was once pulled over within two hunderd metres, for the same offence. Not signalling. As I argued the case that I have been in the same lane for last mile and didn't need to signal my friends who had just been travelling for 16 hours paid the money. There first 10 minutes in Thailand was truly amazing. Thats why I never speak Thai with them, just listen to their radios asking each other who to pull over next or who is approaching.

As for the fact that people have generally committed an offence is utter B**locks. You watch they usually pull over the trucks and old vehicles. They are robbing from their own.

A for the website I trust tried it and it didn't work :o

What is more important is what would happen when you do complain. Lets see how many of the wonderful police are actually convicted.

The sooner they get rid of this mafia called the police and the other faction, the army the better this country will be. But then again if the top guy can get away robbing the people of billions I am sure a few thousand baht will be considered minor. Call me cynical :D

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Police Sargeant Yumus Gizzabung said today that although he had heard of some of his fellow officers taking 'tea money' he thought that it was very 'small scale' and not widespread. Speaking from this penthouse on Sukhumvit road, he went on to say that he himself had been pulled over,"many times", whilst off duty and driving his Ferrari but had always declined to pay an on the spot fine and recomended everyone should ask for a ticket and pay at a police station.

Greed is the only reason. And power.

See it as it is. Do not make a big circle and tell how poor these policemen are.

Poor people can be very decent.

This is just abuse of power for monetary gain.

Well I doubt that they really want to know what we have to say about this, the site listed in written in Thai, not english.

The truth is might not agree with what is happeing built it is the system here as it is many other countries, popbably to some extent and maybe in different ways in all countries. That is a tough one for me to say since I'm a retired cop. Believe this happen in America as well, just not as open. I was fortunate in that the only exposure I ever had was being offered bribes and both instances they were from people from the East and retirement Did cops gte involved in illegal activities where I worked, you bet. But, it was not a traffic ticket, usually huge sums of drug monies.

LAPD had a very intersting history in the 40's and up into the 50's it was the best place to hire a hit man. A chief came along who changed all that Parker, there was a huge shakeup in the department. As a young officer I worked with cops who had been around during that period, they had some very interesting stories to tell if you could get them to talk about it. But the point was the change came from the top. Additionally Parker had the political backing to do what he did, my understanding of what I was told was he was ruthless about it. Do you really think that is going to happen here, I don't.

I have seen it three times twice in Bangkok and once on the back road to Pattaya, the driver in that instane just told them no and left, nothing happened. I have been issued warnings here in Issan with no hint of money involved.

Bangkok I ran a red light, no doubt about it, cop waived me over. I already told the wife to ask how much. Really nothing to talk about I was wrong, what does it do to me if I give the fine to the cop or the court, nothing. What I disliked was the extortion attempt very frail at best. I will keep his drivers license. That was so lame a trip back to the license facility here with I lost it and they would have gave me another. Also very unnessary since I had already dcided that I was guilty and deserved a fine so bye bye 500 baht.

The other a taxi pulled ove by a very angry cop, 100 baht later we are on our way, not my money. Never have figured out why the taxi was pulled over in the first place. But I did learn that Thia's get a discount. :o

Really this system will never change until it is changed at the top and a long as these guys are buying rank that is not going to happen. Does anyone really think that the cop on the beat kept my 500 baht, I doubt it, he probably got some of it and it went upline to his superiors.

Lets see we need an investigation to determine that cops take bribes here, I doubt it I mean the people involved in the investigation do live in Thailand don't they.

Personally this is a cost of living here, as pointed out no one forced me to come here either.

If it bothers me to much there are other places to live. Of course I don't live in Bangkok where it seems to be big business, things are just much easier up country.

So I have no intention of fighting it, if the Thai's really want it changed they will change it

As someone pointed out to really understand why this is allowed you have to look a lot further then the cop on the beat.

So I have no intention of fighting it, if the Thai's really want it changed they will change it

This is a key point for some many of the Thailand "problems" it is upto the Thai's to change it. If we dont like it we can leave, in many cases they cant.

This is a key point for some many of the Thailand "problems" it is upto the Thai's to change it. If we dont like it we can leave, in many cases they cant.

Spot on Mark, Farang do have a choice, most Thai people don't.

Police corruption in some form is in every force in the world, of that I have no doubts, it's just not so open and in developed countries for large sums of money.

When people say, " This is Thailand what do you expect, " "TiT " etc...would you expect the Thai police force to be probably the only corruption free Police Force in the World ? I don't think so.

And let's face it, in your own country if you was stopped for drink driving and was facing an 18 month driving ban, would you pay the cop a healthy bribe if it was offered? ( be honest ).

You can pay 200 baht of 500 baht down the station, what ya gonna do?

All of the people here who have ever lost their license in their own countries through any form of driving offence would wish the cops had asked for money instead, especially drink driving.

In your own countries, Police corruption would be acceptable if it benefited you personally, it's just that in Thailand you are in the Monority here and like all minorities they feel they are being victimised whenever they are pulled over by the cops, I go up country a lot and have never been pulled over for no reason, I was always speeding or whatever, I have paid once 200 baht, ( No seat belt ), only cos my wife was with me and they would only speak with her, I was in the wrong, it was 200 baht here or 500 in the station, No brainer. When I have been travelling alone, I have been stopped and have never had to pay a baht, I usually get warnings and act dumb. ( Not much acting experience required )

Edited by Maigo6

:o

What salary would you suggest that would be adaquate to stop this extortion? Might a higher salary just be a supplement to the wholescale corruption I have found, while driving all over Thailand.

A bigger salary might just be used for a bigger house and car, while the extortion continues.

Severe punishment would be better. A special plain cloths force driving around, making small infringements on the road would soon catch them out . The word would get round, and they would all be too scared to take the bribe. Of course, then we would all have to report to the police station.

If there was no money in it for them, maybe they wouldn't bother so much.

Police here are are corrupt from top to bottom and the most honest they can get is to close their eyes on all the corruption about them, which is not a lot, really.

Once diring a meeting with UN human trafficing people Thai police representative simply said that he can't stop his people from raping trafficing victims.

Thailand probably doesn't have enough "honest" people to staff the police and the government, and the ministries, and the senate, and the army, and the court system, and what else.

People at the top didn't get there because they were all so clean, they bought and muscled their way up, and I don't see how they can "clean up" the police force.

Yeah, the salaries can be raised, and hope that lowly sergeants will stop their little extortion schemes, but it's not the root of the problem - it's general lawlessness in the society. That's why some people can just drive away, and others can get away with murder.

Wish that Police Inspector-General Seripisut Temiyavej could clean up the acts of all police division before he's bring retire. From what I understand this top cop is the only one who dared to challenges his superior and whistle-blows the dirty side of the police forces, that why he has been condemn and was not promoted. Thais who know him well, have given him a nickname justice pao.

Does anyone know the scale of this corruption? Could, for instance, a police captain in a central Thailand province earn nearly 2 million Baht a month? Could they? How much would you have to improve their pay? Puts a different slant on things dosn't it.

regards

Does anyone know the scale of this corruption? Could, for instance, a police captain in a central Thailand province earn nearly 2 million Baht a month? Could they? How much would you have to improve their pay? Puts a different slant on things dosn't it.

regards

Why?