Birthday Cake

Michael W

Looking for a birthday cake on short notice, preferably in the Sukhumvit/Nana or Prathunam/Petchaburi areas. Ideally I would like a rectangular cake large enough to serve 10 or more people, but so far in checking Big C and Foodland they both only had fairly small circular ones. The ones at Foodland were 500 baht or more. Is that what I should expect to pay, roughly, or are there more Thai oriented bakeries in the area with better prices? I know Thais are very into birthday parties so there's obviously a market.

Looking for a birthday cake on short notice, preferably in the Sukhumvit/Nana or Prathunam/Petchaburi areas. Ideally I would like a rectangular cake large enough to serve 10 or more people, but so far in checking Big C and Foodland they both only had fairly small circular ones. The ones at Foodland were 500 baht or more. Is that what I should expect to pay, roughly, or are there more Thai oriented bakeries in the area with better prices? I know Thais are very into birthday parties so there's obviously a market.

Robinsons Basement...............opposite Sheraton next to Westin...........after Soi 15.

:o

Unless you're on a tight budget, I'd say the Oriental is really the only choice. Most of the other suggestions above (other than Mousses & Meringue, which is pretty good) are more or less on the fast food level. Unless you'd serve Big Macs at a birthday party, go to the Oriental shop on the top floor of the Emporium and they will fix you up.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, but as it turned out all I had time for in the end was a run to Big C. Not to worry, though, this affair was strictly urban banoke: sticky rice, som tom, and four cases of large bottle Leo beer to go with the rather melted birthday cake -- all consumed on straw mats next to a parking lot. A fun time was had by all, or as much as I can remember.

bday1.jpg

bday2.jpg