State Of Emergency In Thailand

Mobi

BANGKOK: (CNN) -- Tanks rolled through the streets of Bangkok, Thailand, on Tuesday amid reports of an attempted coup, witnesses tell CNN.

Members of the Thai military are attempting to seize power but Thailand's leadership expects everything to return to normal soon, Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai told CNN.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra -- currently at the U.N. headquarters in New York -- went on a government-owned TV station and declared a state of emergency, The Associated Press reported.

The government has maintained control of the capital and the surrounding areas, according a statement on Thailand's state-controled Army television. The statement asked for residents to remain calm and await further announcements.

According to officials at the Thai mission at the United Nations, Thaksin has moved up his speech to the General Assembly to Tuesday night and will return to Bangkok after his address.

He had been scheduled to address the assembly on Wednesday.

Thailand operates as a constitutional monarchy, with the king as head of state and the prime minister leading the government. The country is an ally of the U.S. and contributed troops to the U.S.-led military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Thaksin has been under considerable pressure to step down.

Elections in Thailand are scheduled for November after the country's constitutional court ruled April's vote was unconstitutional.

Thaksin had called for the elections in April, three years early, after opponents accused the billionaire leader of abusing the country's system of checks and balances and bending government policy to benefit his family's business.

--CNN 2006-09-19 23:27

Edited by george

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend called me a little while ago to advise me that his Thai lady - who is Hi So, and very well connected, is absolutely convinced a coup is happeneing as I write this.

There are a couple of "breaking news" items in The Nation that may support this information.

Anyone else heard anything?

it's on CNN , now.

Channel 3 off the air. Channel; 5 showing national stuff. CNN syas tanks in ther street, coup in progress.

Thaksin talking on channel 9

Tanks in the streets of Bangok. State of emergency just declared

Bangkokians:

Latest Update:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - More than 10 tanks blocked roads around Thailand's government headquarters in Bangkok on Tuesday, Reuters witnesses said, and Army television broadcast images of the royal family and songs associated in the past with military coups.

Government officials said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in the middle of a political crisis fomented by a street campaign against him, planned to return from New York on Thursday, a day earlier than scheduled. They gave no reason.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Thaksin has declared a state of emergency on Channel 11 (Army TV station) Looks like it's some army generals trying a coup but without the support of all the top generals, so it's army vs. army.

Thai TV stations now all playing the same homage to the King video, which has pissed my missus off as she wanted to watch her regular saop operas.

Wait till the coup's over then you can watch, dear.

My hubby just told me there's a curfew in place aswell.

He said this happened years ago when he was a kid too.

Don't have much info though as it's the kings song on all TV channels :o

And all cell phones do not work! Help scaaary!

Edited by Shola

Thaksin has declared a state of emergency on Channel 11 (Army TV station) Looks like it's some army generals trying a coup but without the support of all the top generals, so it's army vs. army.

Thai TV stations now all playing the same homage to the King video, which has pissed my missus off as she wanted to watch her regular saop operas.

I'm here two weeks and there's a coup.....

I'm here two weeks and there's a coup.....

you have a primeur

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- Tanks have been seen rolling through the streets of Bangkok, Thailand, on Tuesday amid rumors of an attempted coup, witnesses tell CNN.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra -- currently at the U.N. headquarters in New York -- went on a government-owned TV station and declared a state of emergency, The Associated Press reported.

According to officials at the Thai mission at the United Nations, Thaksin has moved up his speech to the General Assembly to Tuesday night and will return to Bangkok after his address.

He had been scheduled to address the assembly on Wednesday.

Thaksin has been under considerable pressure to step down. Elections in Thailand are scheduled for November after the country's constitutional court ruled April's vote was unconstitutional.

Thaksin had called for the elections in April, three years early, after opponents accused the billionaire leader of abusing the country's system of checks and balances and bending government policy to benefit his family's business.

It's for real.

Taxsin declared state of emergency.

Army and Police have issued a public staement on TV and gagged all media in the country. TV showing a blue screen with Thai writing saying that the Police and Army have surrounded Bangkok and declared martial law.

Hope you are safe if you are in BKK right now!!!]

From the Nation:

Thaksin declares state of emercy in Bangkok

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra declared state of emergency in Bangkok and transferred Army Commander in Chief Sondhi Bunyaglarin to PM's Office.

Edited by k1w1

"I declare Bangkok under a severe state of emergency," Thaksin said in a voice broadcast on Thai television.

Thaksin, in New York at a

United Nations summit, ordered troops not to "move illegally," and told armed forces chiefs to report to acting Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya.

At least 20 soldiers entered the Government House building, according to reporters inside.

Army television broadcast images of the royal family and songs associated in the past with military coups.

Government officials said Thaksin, in the middle of a political crisis fomented by a street campaign against him, planned to return from New York early on Thursday, a day earlier than originally scheduled.