Heard Some News That The Northeren Border To Laos And Burma Is Close . Can Anyone Confirm ?

I read up some news that the Laos and burma border is close by land travel ..

is there any news and if the Visa runner is affected . just wanna share the info -

i got mine renew 3 days ago .

Was reported on CNN at 9.30 gmt that both Burma and Loas were closed.

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST THE NEXT CLOSEST BORDER TO CHIANG MAI, OR WOULD I BE BETTER TO FLY TO SAY; SINGAPORE OR MALAYSIA AND FLY BACK IN?

Well it's always said, the borders Burma and Laos are closed. Cambodia and Malaysia are be open. From Chiang Mai it seems the best, to go by plane to Penang, KL or even Singapore I guess.

The flight to Singapore or Malaysia sounds like the best option as Cambodia is a long way by road. It appears the borders may have been closed by the foreign governments so things may take awhile to get back to normal. Current photo from Maesai shows it shuttered.

just an idea if you flying go penang and get a tourist visa at the same time of KL which might issuse multi enrty - singapore might be harder given the nature conflict of interest now between singapore and thai -

good luck

Ranong-Burma border closed

wrote by Phuket Gazette

Thursday, 21 September 2006

RANONG: The Burmese government has closed the border at Kaw Thaung, making it impossible for foreigners to make “visa runs” across the border there, the Gazette has learned.

A representative with the Executive Visa Run company, which runs daily visa-run trips to the Burmese port of entry opposite Ranong, said that his firm learned of the closure this afternoon.

Operators of a ferry that makes the crossing called to tell him that the border was closed by the Burmese after news of last night’s military coup in Bangkok, he said.

The company continues to make daily visa runs, however, having changed to a border crossing with Malaysia in Satun Province.

The change has added about one hour to the visa run journey, which usually takes about 12 hours, he added.

I guess everybody gonna be happy to cross the border through southern Thai Provinces!!! :o

just an idea if you flying go penang and get a tourist visa at the same time of KL which might issuse multi enrty - singapore might be harder given the nature conflict of interest now between singapore and thai -

good luck

airasia.com has another round of cheap flights .......must book between 18 Sept- 28 Sept

Travel period 1 Oct- 30 Nov

Typical case of: "Do not believe what anyone say and do not trust anyone in Thailand"? I just went to Laos and back. The border is not closed and the immigration officer said they were open yesterday as well. Well TIT and to many people like to speak without veryfying things properly.:o

Typical case of: "Do not believe what anyone say and do not trust anyone in Thailand"? I just went to Laos and back. The border is not closed and the immigration officer said they were open yesterday as well. Well TIT and to many people like to speak without veryfying things properly.:o

There are a number of border crossings to Laos. Perhaps one or more of them were closed but at least one (the one you went through) was open. Just a possibility.

I spoke with someone at Sunbelt today and they confirmed with immigratoin that the Mai Sai border was opening today at 2pm and will be open tomorrow. I sure hope so because I just booked and paid for my bus!

Can someone please confirm this? I need to make a visa run this weekend (or a "visa waiver entry stamp" run for the sticklers for detail) and I would rather not fly to Singapore or KL. Thanks for any assistance.

Whay is there seems to be so much scare mongering writing things like Borders with Burma etc closed. There are many border to choose from With Burma...Mae Sai most popular for chiang mai residents, Mae Sot most popular for guys with more than a 30 day Visa and the new one at Mae Saem Lap south of Mae Sariang. Also many with Laos, Cambodia etc.

Apart from the Gazette who have reported a closure at Ranong that is the only one that has been confirmed. Please guys reporting that a border is closed it's best to report which one and are we sure they weren't just closed along with the Banks, etc after the Exciting and welcome news of the Coup?

Whay is there seems to be so much scare mongering writing things like Borders with Burma etc closed.

because it has been reported on the tv news. if there is any 'scare mongering' it is not on the part of posters, it is on the part of TV news. based on posts on this site, seems these reports were not entirely accurate (or maybe just short-lived).