rooster59

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Thongkorn said:

Just checked my crystal ball , Thailand being predominantly Buddhist, i would take a guess they are, 

I live in Thailand and I am surrounded by Muslims everyday. Get your money back on that ball.

14 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

It is really sad. Brave Big sister giving her life for the younger one. RIP God Bless her soul.

Yes an absolute tragedy. Makes me sad. Every time I hear/read of children dying my heart sinks but please could you keep you're religious beliefs to yourself. I know you mean well.

One can take this topic to the basics.  Birth control.  If you can't afford to transport children to school and grandmas legally because you know society and police will come down hard on you you should not be having so many children.   

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

its poverty that is the  enemy here.  Thai minimum wage at 300 Bhat a day, if you are working at all,  no security  of employment , no security of any kind.  You have to make a living and you have to move around.  Buy an old clapped out motorbike as your only transport and ferry everyone around on it, because there is no alternative for you. Its poverty that killed that kid, not the mother, not the  lack of a plastic crash hat that the family cant afford anyway.  the mother probably working all hours that god sends and just wants some family time with her man.   Tragic doesn't even come close. 

Thanks.  Exactly my thoughts.  Obviously those with money can never understand poverty and would never contemplate parting with some of their riches to help out those less fortunate.  Was it this government that came up with the “first car“ idea that made it possible for many to purchase a car instead of ferrying the family on a motorbike?

9 hours ago, Johnmeldrum said:

I blame the police and government for accidents like this 5 people on a motorcycle and no crash helmets . Why do they allow this to happen , Thailand will keep having one of the worst records for road accidents, until the police enforce the law and make people wear crash helmets . It seems to me that people don't care about trying to save lives 

You think that having no helmet is the cause.  This was an accident waiting to happen.  There will most likely be a few more like it over the next few weeks.  No doubt the police think that having no helmets is the cause, we'll yes a bit.  Just common sense and application by the police will go a long way fixing things.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So not only were there 6 people on the bike, but it sounds as though none of the children were wearing a helmet. While I appreciate that the mother will be grieving, she really should face criminal charges, as the tragic and avoidable death of Penchipa stems from her reckless actions. Leniency will result in similar tragedies unfolding until the safety message starts to sink in.

Tragic as it is, she is a victim of a normal life in Thailand, I have personally seen as many people on a bike pull up beside a cop on a motorbike and both started talking and laughing, before riding off, this is normal in Thailand, although I have to say they are starting to tighten things up in Isaan where I am starting to see more and more people wearing helmets and no more than 2 people on a motorbike at a time, but still seeing kids without helmets in between being taken to school and young babies as well, and yes, all you can do is wish them a safe journey, because that is life here.

Perhaps a better suggestion would be to have the Junta forget about spending gazzillions on tanks and providing a public transport system in Isaan which no doubt would help.

Heads will keep hitting the bitumen and lives will continue to be lost, day in, day out, because Thailand doesn't change, although I am sure it wants too, but is too big of a problem and a costly one to solve, especially when they don;t want to spend money in non touristy areas, that is unless the politicians, police and army get serious about wanting to save lives, and I mean, not stopping kids at the road block every 1st and last day of the month to get revenue up to target, and make them do push ups or collect rubbish as I have seen. The cause of the problem start at the root, sort that and your on your way.

Sure its a relaxed attitude, but they can't see relaxed attitudes cost lives when riding motorbikes without helmets and kids should not be on them, they seriously need to come down with a month of strong campaign advertising and warnings of the consequences, then keep those adds coming, and get away from that relaxed "up to you" attitude.

Although I won;t be holding my breath.

20 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Also the parents probably will not grieve long , as buddhist they believe that the children will be born again ,

I actually saw a young lad get killed, His parents came to the exact spot the next day, they lit a jos stick , said a few Buddhist prays and said,"well he has gone to be a better person " They walked away and went for something to eat, not one tear,

You must not have children, 

11 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

snapped close to where I live

59ab6e5310476__DSC0177(Large).jpg.f3111d57bbd6b505225ba589df3fae55.jpg

notice how only Mom's and Dad's brains are worthy of any protection

Well one look at the helmets and this isn't about safety. I remember when you could buy a Bt90 plastic helmet when the BIB started on fines for not wearing them. Sadly though, this is how many families have to get around. Not everyone can afford a car.

14 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I can see how in some occasions a woman with 5 kids and no car would use a bike to transport the family, I cannot imagine however how she could allow herself to do this at more than crawling speed, or while being so tired that she was falling asleep.

Very tragic, but also very stupid.

You Sir, are being more than kind to her

The actual answer to this economic problem is of course not to create it in the first place, unfortunately at least half a brain is required to be able to work that out

Tragic of course, and I know that for me I'd be crippled for life losing a daughter, but... I dunno, Thai pragmatism seems way superior in dealing with loss (unless there is a blame and a claim).

The editorial I feel was designed to pull at heart strings.  I'm seriously unconvinced that it was accurate reporting, but then again, a loss for one is a loss for all.  I hope they can deal with this without going insane as I suspect I might, given the same scenario.

16 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

5 on a motorbike is really no way to travel especially for young children. 

16 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

5 children being ferried around on a motorbike ? Such a shame this still needs to happen in 2017....

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So not only were there 6 people on the bike, but it sounds as though none of the children were wearing a helmet.

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I can see how in some occasions a woman with 5 kids and no car would use a bike to transport the family, I cannot imagine however how she could allow herself to do this at more than crawling speed.

13 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

was riding her motorcycle with her five children

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Ayuthaya to Wang Nam Yen! 6 up! Probably on a Honda Wave! That has to be a 5-hour ride. Insanity.

12 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

59ab6e5310476__DSC0177(Large).jpg.f3111d57bbd6b505225ba589df3fae55.jpg

notice how only Mom's and Dad's brains are worthy of any protection

I can understand in Asia - a short drive in the village or possibly to the next village with such a load of 6 people  - but as I checked out and -Briggsy- mentioned - that is a 230 km trip on a small Motorbike in the night!

They rode about 170 km and had accident at 6:30 morning - so they drove - hours in mostly dark already! 

Oh my God - what idea Mama had. ?

20 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Tragic of course, and I know that for me I'd be crippled for life losing a daughter, but... I dunno, Thai pragmatism seems way superior in dealing with loss (unless there is a blame and a claim).

The editorial I feel was designed to pull at heart strings.  I'm seriously unconvinced that it was accurate reporting, but then again, a loss for one is a loss for all.  I hope they can deal with this without going insane as I suspect I might, given the same scenario.

One would hope you used the words  same scenario very loosely

12 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

I hope the mother is tormented by devils until her dying day. An earlier story said she had an argument with her mother in Ayutthaya, packed her kids onto the motorbike and rode all the way to Wang Nam Yen district in Sa Kaeo - starting at 11pm, and a freaking long, long way (maybe up to 200 km). Then it would seem that after seeing her husband, she turns around and tries to ride all the way back without much of an apparent break. A pox on this buffalo.

How do you come to the idea - she drove there and then back also - in same night?

As far as I read that and checked on Google maps - it would have been a one way 230 km Trip and they had an accident after 170 km approximately - how you come to the conclusion the mother decided to drive with a small bike - 460 km in one night?

And went back to her mother where she had a argument? ?

Edited by ALFREDO

12 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

What I can't stand is the 'dressing up' of the death 'died saving her sister' is hyperbole and nonsense designed to elicit some sort of 'it was divine intervention' to deflect from their STUPIDITY on a 350 kilo journey. In any civilized country the parents would be jailed for neglect.

The sister fell to the ground first and her body stopped her sister dying and if anyone thinks the girl thought 'oh we are going to crash I'll roll my body round to say my sister' then they are naive and/or ignorant. Neglect plain and simple.

The press tends to take a similar attitude with aeroplane accidents.

The pilot invariably "bravely steered the plane away from" schools/hospitals/housing estates/whatever, in order to "save lives on the ground".

The first thing one does in case of an unscheduled forced departure from the blue yonder (if the machine is still controllable) is to aim for the most open place below to dump the craft.

Large built structures, or areas of housing, definitely do not meet that requirement.

Edited by Enoon

1 minute ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Wrong, but affluent Thais do not ride six on a motorbike of any sort. They drive a car.

Poor Thais on the other hand are poverty stricken.

Really ?

How much was the family's income ?

They can afford to support five kids, afford a motorbike but cannot afford crash helmets ?

10 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Wrong, but affluent Thais do not ride six on a motorbike of any sort. They drive a car.

Poor Thais on the other hand are poverty stricken.

She fell asleep whilst riding a motorbike, if She had a car, she would have fallen asleep whilst driving the car

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

She fell asleep whilst riding a motorbike, if She had a car, she would have fallen asleep whilst driving the car

Is that your best effort at defending gross stupidity and ignorance, as for negligence, well I wont go there she is the sprogs MOTHER