UK licence

26 minutes ago, colinneil said:

When i was back in the UK 8 yearsa ago, i sent off my old license to the DVLA, got back new photo license by return.

You can also renew your about-to-expire driving-license online nowadays, they copy the photo in your current UK-passport, and use it to generate the new UK-driving-license. Costs £14 to do, and you need to be UK-resident.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

If you move to the UK from all but a few countries you can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident. After 12 months you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in Great Britain. If you hold a licence from some countries, like Singapore, you can simply exchange your licence for a UK one, surprisingly Thailand isn't on the list.

If you're a visitor you can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Hadn't had my second coffee at that time.

??

Went back last year for a holiday and SWMBO wouldn't believe me when I told her that her Thai licence was ok to use for car hire. She insisted her Sis' was correct in that you needed a Thai IDP. When we picked up the car and the guy handed the IDP back and said not required I really had to bite my tongue, if I had said anything it would have made the next two or three days 'interesting'  ???.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

If you move to the UK from all but a few countries you can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident. After 12 months you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the theory and practical driving tests to drive in Great Britain. If you hold a licence from some countries, like Singapore, you can simply exchange your licence for a UK one, surprisingly Thailand isn't on the list.

If you're a visitor you can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered.

That would give you plenty of time to get things together to get your UK licence re-issued.

?

Won't comment on why Thailand isn't on the list.

?

Edited by overherebc

Be aware that when you apply for a new UK license, you are asked to declare that you are a permanent UK resident. If you aren't a UK resident (ie you don't spend more than 6 months of the year in the UK per year... and supposing you plan to be honest about your situation), it means you are no longer legally allowed a UK license.

• Like 1
Be aware that when you apply for a new UK license, you are asked to declare that you are a permanent UK resident. If you aren't a UK resident (ie you don't spend more than 6 months of the year in the UK per year... and supposing you plan to be honest about your situation), it means you are no longer legally allowed a UK license.

Exactly right.The advice I got was that it was legal to drive in the UK using the old green paper license but I should be aware I would have to explain the situation if stopped by police etc.Never tested this because have always used my Thai license in UK without problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, jayboy said:

Exactly right.The advice I got was that it was legal to drive in the UK using the old green paper license but I should be aware I would have to explain the situation if stopped by police etc.Never tested this because have always used my Thai license in UK without problems.

As Jayboy said the last time I was in the UK I got stopped by the police and proffered my old green license and then had to explain that since  passing my bike and car tests more years ago than I care to remember I'd had no reason to contact the DVLA. I also offered my Thai license but got a " Nah you're ok mate"

10 minutes ago, mca said:

As Jayboy said the last time I was in the UK I got stopped by the police and proffered my old green license and then had to explain that since  passing my bike and car tests more years ago than I care to remember I'd had no reason to contact the DVLA. I also offered my Thai license but got a " Nah you're ok mate"

If you go by the letter of the law, you did have a reason to contact the DVLA, because you have to inform them when your address changes.

Illegal to carry a driving license with the incorrect address on it, as i understand it.

If you go by the letter of the law, you did have a reason to contact the DVLA, because you have to inform them when your address changes.

Illegal to carry a driving license with the incorrect address on it, as i understand it.

If you are a non resident it's not possible to amend license details or get a new one.I spoke to the DVLA which was very specific about this, including a warning about using a UK address of convenience.Thus once the DVLA know your residence status, the door closes until or if you reestablish UK Residence.As previously noted the advice was that In my case I could drive on my green UK license but I would have some explaining to do if nabbed.

42 minutes ago, jayboy said:

If you are a non resident it's not possible to amend license details or get a new one.I spoke to the DVLA which was very specific about this, including a warning about using a UK address of convenience.Thus once the DVLA know your residence status, the door closes until or if you reestablish UK Residence.As previously noted the advice was that In my case I could drive on my green UK license but I would have some explaining to do if nabbed.

Yes that was kind of my point. You must inform DVLA of a change of address, but are not allowed a care of address or an overseas address... so if you live in Thailand, forget it.

You could chance your arm and just carry on using your license with the incorrect address on it. I guess that's what most of us end up doing. Quite what the legal ramifications might be in case of an encounter with the police though, who knows?

Yes that was kind of my point. You must inform DVLA of a change of address, but are not allowed a care of address or an overseas address... so if you live in Thailand, forget it.

You could chance your arm and just carry on using your license with the incorrect address on it. I guess that's what most of us end up doing. Quite what the legal ramifications might be in case of an encounter with the police though, who knows?

I agree it's a messy position.DVLA's line is that one could explain the position.One probably could on most occasions including renting cars.But I wonder whether in the event of say a serious accident the courts would be so understanding.Best to drive with Thai license.

11 hours ago, jayboy said:

I agree it's a messy position.DVLA's line is that one could explain the position.One probably could on most occasions including renting cars.But I wonder whether in the event of say a serious accident the courts would be so understanding.Best to drive with Thai license.

I think it's not just the courts being so understanding that you'd need to worry about in the event of a serious accident, I'd be more concerned over the insurers, they are well known for exploiting any loophole that would limit their liability.

• Like 2
On 9/4/2017 at 2:46 PM, theoldgit said:

I've always felt this is a back to front rule. When somebody enters the UK and drives there using a foreign licence the law accepts that, having a foreign licence, they are competent and safe drivers.

Then after driving on UK roads for twelve months and gaining a full years experience into the bargain they are told they are no longer considered competent enough and prevented from driving until they have taken a full UK driving test.

Now their original qualification to allow them to drive is still valid, the government rules deemed them safe and competent from day one and the experience gained in driving in the UK is (probably) more than almost every UK learner driver has before taking their test.

So what, after a full year, suddenly deems them incompetent to drive on day 366????

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sumrit said:

I've always felt this is a back to front rule. When somebody enters the UK and drives there using a foreign licence the law accepts that, having a foreign licence, they are competent and safe drivers.

Then after driving on UK roads for twelve months and gaining a full years experience into the bargain they are told they are no longer considered competent enough and prevented from driving until they have taken a full UK driving test.

Now their original qualification to allow them to drive is still valid, the government rules deemed them safe and competent from day one and the experience gained in driving in the UK is (probably) more than almost every UK learner driver has before taking their test.

So what, after a full year, suddenly deems them incompetent to drive on day 366????

There is a distinction between resident and visitor

A visitor is allowed to drive on a foreign licence for 12 months only, they cannot apply or be issued with a UK driving licence

A resident is allowed to drive for up to 12 months , after which they need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the UK test to continue to drive. 

The above is a simplification , depending on where the licence was issued some foreign licence can be directly exchanged

I think Sumrit's point is that having allowed people who come to the UK for residence to drive for a year and then take a test when they still hold a valid foreign licence is illogical, effectively treating  residents the same as visitors.

But you are correct in saying that certain overseas licences can be converted directly, on the basis of, wait for it, "reciprocal agreements". There is a certain irony that beneficiaries of these agreements include Australians and Canadians ( thus presumably Brits who emigrate to those countries), while the USA is not included - the exact opposite of the agreements regarding the retirement pension.

44 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I think Sumrit's point is that having allowed people who come to the UK for residence to drive for a year and then take a test when they still hold a valid foreign licence is illogical, effectively treating  residents the same as visitors.

But you are correct in saying that certain overseas licences can be converted directly, on the basis of, wait for it, "reciprocal agreements". There is a certain irony that beneficiaries of these agreements include Australians and Canadians ( thus presumably Brits who emigrate to those countries), while the USA is not included - the exact opposite of the agreements regarding the retirement pension.

The following from a FOI request may explain the DVLA rationale

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/driving_licences_for_foreign_spo

If I follow correctly , visitors are governed by treaties, and foreign residents are given a concession

2 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

There is a distinction between resident and visitor

A visitor is allowed to drive on a foreign licence for 12 months only, they cannot apply or be issued with a UK driving licence

A resident is allowed to drive for up to 12 months , after which they need to apply for a provisional licence and pass the UK test to continue to drive. 

The above is a simplification , depending on where the licence was issued some foreign licence can be directly exchanged

My point is about both safety AND ability to drive on UK roads. 

Your distinction between visitors and residents isn't correct. My mates wife took her UK driving test while on a six month visitors visa but didn't return to the UK on a settlement visa until the following year.

16 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

You're right, this law regarding driving in the UK is totally illogical, on various points, but my main concerns are over safety and competency.

The overriding factor has got to be the safety of EVERYBODY using the roads.

Nobody should be allowed to drive unsupervised on the UK roads unless they are considered to be both safe and competent, whether they are visitors or residents. If those drivers are competent they should be allowed to drive permanently. By allowing these drivers to drive in the UK, the Government recognises them as both safe and competent behind the wheel. Unless they are convicted of 'bad driving', they should not be told at a (much) later date that, after being a good driver in the UK, they are now considered incompetent. If they want permanent residents to use a UK licence they should simply exchange a full foreign licence for a full UK licence after a set period of time (eg:3-6 months).

24 minutes ago, johng said:

I got a Thai 5 year motorcycle licence

but never held a UK motorcycle licence, as a British citizen am I allowed to ride any size bike without L plates on UK roads for upto a year ?

Your Thai motorcycle licence is not dependent on you having/had a UK version so, as it's classed as a full licence in the UK in it's own right, you can ride a bike of any size.

My Thai mate rode a very large bike when he moved to the UK and was involved in two NON blameworthy accidents. The Police attended on both occasions and, when asked to produce it, his Thai Licence was accepted without question.

As has been pointed out holders of Thai licences are allowed to drive in the UK on that licence for up to twelve months, after which they would need to obtain a provisional licence until they've passed the driving theory and road tests and thus are able to obtain a UK licence.

I suspect the logic is that given they already have a full licence from another country they've already demonstrated that they possess road skills and that they can drive safely, ok maybe not in Thailand, so they're given a full year to pass the UK tests, which I imagine most would. I don't think many people would wait the full year before completing the process, but if they haven't demonstrated that they have the required skills in that twelve month period, then they must be treated as a provisional driver, I don't actually think it's unreasonable.

• Like 1