moving to Pattaya from BKK advice please

mercman24

any (sane)advice/tips  welcome . ie, 90 day report. do i just rock up to pat immigration, and my yearly retirement permit due in november, , am moving for purely financial reasons (thanks BREXIT)once i can get my lease taken over, .will be looking to rent a 1 bed condo, was thinking in the Jomtien area,. ie decent agents etc. maybe another area, ? with transport into town ? thanks in advance.

any (sane)advice/tips  welcome . ie, 90 day report. do i just rock up to pat immigration, and my yearly retirement permit due in november, , am moving for purely financial reasons (thanks BREXIT)once i can get my lease taken over, .will be looking to rent a 1 bed condo, was thinking in the Jomtien area,. ie decent agents etc. maybe another area, ? with transport into town ? thanks in advance.
Try Craigslist or Facebook and you will find many places listed by the owner.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I like Naklua over Jomtien. Stop in a hotel for a week or so and see for yourself what you prefer. Baht bus fares are generally 10 Baht, so there is your public transport saving straight away. If you have your own transport, Pattaya traffic can be bad but not as bad as Bangkok.

Good luck.

There's no "rocking up" to immigration unannounced, so to speak, without having reported your new address via a TM30. Must be done within 24 hours of new address.

Stay in a hotel for a bit. The hotel is responsible for reporting your presence with Jomtien immigration. Once you have your new apartment address, you have 24 hours to report your new address via the TM30. Special office inside Jomtien Immigration immediately on left past the check-in officer.

However, the condo owner or apartment management is responsible for filing this proper registration of alien via TM30. You get a small receipt and must attach it to your passport. Only then can you do your extension/90-day reports. Otherwise, your mileage may vary.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More details.

Sound advice on grabbing a hotel or even a serviced apartment first to get a feel for the area, then shop for a condo at your leisure. Unless you have a ton of stuff moving with you of course. There's storage options in Pattaya if you do have stuff.

Great timing as it's rainy season so the flooded or equally useless "'not-flooded but otherwise inaccessible" ares will be pretty obvious.

Don't rush to file the TM30. When you do rock up to Jomtien Immigration in November, they won't have a clue if you moved from Bangkok yesterday, last week or last year. If someone at the 90-day report desk does see that your last 90-day report was in Bangkok, nobody's going to have a cow and send you to the 'front office' (the change-of-address reporting room where they cherry-pick who gets fined and who doesn't) unless you go there yourself first.

Edited by NanLaew

^^^Except if you want a Certificate of Residence for a driver's licence or motorcycle purchase. I prefer to have all this crap out of the way and keep the immigration buzzards at bay. Otherwise, NanLaew is probably correct, depending on which way the bureaucratic winds are blowing that day. 

I made the move from BKK to Jomtien three years ago.   Because I knew a fair bit about the area, had many friends who live here, and a Honda Wave motorcycle so it was an easy move.  Jomtien Immigration is a dream compared to Bangkok Immigration.  My 90 day report has taken as little as 35 minutes door to door, and never more than 45 minutes.

One of the keys to living happily in Pattaya is transportation.  The Baht Buses (songthaews) routes are limited.  A car is expensive vs a motorcycle and it takes a lot more time and aggravation getting around in a car than on a motorcycle.  It takes some getting used to but you can learn to transport most things on a motorcycle.  For anything too big for the motorcycle there is usually someone you know who has a car or you can just hire a songthaew.

Transportation is also critical for where you can live and how much it will cost.  Jomtien and Naklua are cheaper than downtown Pattaya on the beach side of Third Road.  You can find much less expensive housing inland of Third Rd and even less expensive housing inland of Sukhumvit.  You definitely need transportation if you live in any of these places.

The business of TM-30 and TM-29 forms is a mess.  If you rent your landlord is supposed to file the TM-30, which can sometimes be done online.  You are supposed to file a TM-29 in person within 24 hours every time you return to your place from a trip or when you go stay with someone else overnight or longer.  Sometimes Immigration is negligent, sometimes not, it seems to be something that Immigration is becoming more strict about.

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

There's no "rocking up" to immigration unannounced, so to speak, without having reported your new address via a TM30. Must be done within 24 hours of new address.

Stay in a hotel for a bit. The hotel is responsible for reporting your presence with Jomtien immigration. Once you have your new apartment address, you have 24 hours to report your new address via the TM30. Special office inside Jomtien Immigration immediately on left past the check-in officer.

However, the condo owner or apartment management is responsible for filing this proper registration of alien via TM30. You get a small receipt and must attach it to your passport. Only then can you do your extension/90-day reports. Otherwise, your mileage may vary.

I'm not so sure when I hear about this "within 24 hrs" thing. I have had a few address in Thailand and never have I actually changed the address within 24 hours......years in one case before I changed it. I have 3 properties presently and hop and skip between them for months at a time on occasions. Not sure if owning them makes the difference. Not sure either if I did decide to change it each time I moved how they would know the difference as to when I actually moved if I told them I only moved yesterday?

14 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I'm not so sure when I hear about this "within 24 hrs" thing. I have had a few address in Thailand and never have I actually changed the address within 24 hours......years in one case before I changed it. I have 3 properties presently and hop and skip between them for months at a time on occasions. Not sure if owning them makes the difference. Not sure either if I did decide to change it each time I moved how they would know the difference as to when I actually moved if I told them I only moved yesterday?

Here's the entire thread on this topic. 

Jomtien Immigration: Reporting returns after travel

Essentially, the discussion came to an end when nobody could figure out the truth from numerous contacts/reports with Jomtien Immigration. Each district has different practices, with Chiang Mai said to be the toughest. But note that some foreign owners were given huge fines for not reporting. 

56 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Transition to Chiang mai would be a better fit .  Not great but better

Jumping from BKK to Pattaya is extremism.

you couldn't pick 2 more polar opposites anywhere on the planet

Chiang Mai is a place where you live your life vicariously by trawling the Pattaya forum pages.

22 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I made the move from BKK to Jomtien three years ago.   Because I knew a fair bit about the area, had many friends who live here, and a Honda Wave motorcycle so it was an easy move.  Jomtien Immigration is a dream compared to Bangkok Immigration.  My 90 day report has taken as little as 35 minutes door to door, and never more than 45 minutes.

One of the keys to living happily in Pattaya is transportation.  The Baht Buses (songthaews) routes are limited.  A car is expensive vs a motorcycle and it takes a lot more time and aggravation getting around in a car than on a motorcycle.  It takes some getting used to but you can learn to transport most things on a motorcycle.  For anything too big for the motorcycle there is usually someone you know who has a car or you can just hire a songthaew.

Transportation is also critical for where you can live and how much it will cost.  Jomtien and Naklua are cheaper than downtown Pattaya on the beach side of Third Road.  You can find much less expensive housing inland of Third Rd and even less expensive housing inland of Sukhumvit.  You definitely need transportation if you live in any of these places.

The business of TM-30 and TM-29 forms is a mess.  If you rent your landlord is supposed to file the TM-30, which can sometimes be done online.  You are supposed to file a TM-29 in person within 24 hours every time you return to your place from a trip or when you go stay with someone else overnight or longer.  Sometimes Immigration is negligent, sometimes not, it seems to be something that Immigration is becoming more strict about.

shouldn't that be TM28

On 9/4/2017 at 9:38 AM, Daryle said:

Try Craigslist or Facebook and you will find many places listed by the owner.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Those are mostly overpriced.

better to rent a car or motocy and drive around 2-3 days and look at the blackboards at the numerous Condos, or check those large signboards attached to the balconies (bring your binocular otherwise you may not be able to read the phone number on the signboard of that lovely 22nd floor corner room you detected).

The weekly/fortnightly local English language Expat newspapers do have good offers sometimes too (as long those ads are not placed by agents).

I agree that transport is crucial, but even if you live on Sukhumvit (where bargains can be found), you have now a lot more options thanks to Grab and Uber - getting to where the action is will rarely cost more than 100 Baht in a safe limousine car, and you don't risk your life sitting behind a amphetamine-loaden motocy-taxi-driver and shitting your undies (I speak from experience)

On 9/4/2017 at 2:03 PM, HarrySeaman said:

The arrival of Uber and Grab have opened new options, too, for folks who live away from a baht bus route.  Heck, I live on a busy baht bus route, but use Uber/Grab quite a bit for the comfort/convenience.  They're great for returning home with loads of groceries or other purchases.  Ever tried to return from Boonthavorn or Thai Watsadu without a car?

Like everyone says, stay at hotels in Jomtien and Pattaya, few days there, few days there, walk around, then choose where to sign rental agreement. Even weeks, hotels are cheap.

You can't really go wrong, but it's the small things. Don't drive, stay near baht bus route, and you're set.  Baht bus is the best thing, if you're single there's no need for a car

Jomtien and Pattaya are completely different animals in my opinion.

Like others have said, come here and rent a motorbike and explore.

I have changed my opinion of Jomtien I actually think it is OK.  But it is better I think if you have transport via motorbike or car.  Because, you got's to go to Pattaya for some buzz in your life.

thanks for the replies, i have booked in at Jomtien Apt from 14 to 21 October, so will have a good look around, sounded out a few agents and the only one to come back at me was ADAM BOLTON  chat with a nice girl so will definately see them. looking at something not too far from the beach  1 bed. 35 sq m up .. NOT STUDIO  (why do i see huge studios , when they could make it a one bed) is it lazy i cannot live in a room with my bed in the living area lol .   

On 9/11/2017 at 10:34 AM, mercman24 said:

thanks for the replies, i have booked in at Jomtien Apt from 14 to 21 October, so will have a good look around, sounded out a few agents and the only one to come back at me was ADAM BOLTON  chat with a nice girl so will definately see them. looking at something not too far from the beach  1 bed. 35 sq m up .. NOT STUDIO  (why do i see huge studios , when they could make it a one bed) is it lazy i cannot live in a room with my bed in the living area lol .   

Two others that usually make the list of recommended realtor list often are East Coast Realty (in Jomtien Complex condo complex) and Jomtien Properties (in front of Royal Hill Condo).  I have bought/sold with both offices and was pleased with the professionalism and knowledge.

The reason some places have such large studios (e.g. 66 sq.m in Jomtien Complex or 56 sq.m in View Talay Residences) is the layout.  If they were divided into two parts, one part would have no natural light or ventilation -- they are deep but not very wide.  Some people have divided them in two, but with windows (or wall with lots of glass block) from one room into the other, but it's not common.

if i can so bold as to ask another question to those who live there, in my research so far i have found some likeable condos. only on going on booking.com  to find they are holiday lets, at quite a few complexes (like, what weeks do you want to stay)? that's the last thing i want, am looking for long term residential. looked at a great place 3 years ago, (ONNUT) learnt from a thai girl that half not sold so every 2 weeks 4 coach loads showed up with holiday makers on board. residents were naturally up in arms about it. i am talking Jomtien not Pattaya , been there, got the T shirt thanks. got a mate who owns a bar in soi 13/1 

15 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

if i can so bold as to ask another question to those who live there, in my research so far i have found some likeable condos. only on going on booking.com  to find they are holiday lets, at quite a few complexes (like, what weeks do you want to stay)? that's the last thing i want, am looking for long term residential. looked at a great place 3 years ago, (ONNUT) learnt from a thai girl that half not sold so every 2 weeks 4 coach loads showed up with holiday makers on board. residents were naturally up in arms about it. i am talking Jomtien not Pattaya , been there, got the T shirt thanks. got a mate who owns a bar in soi 13/1 

Uh, so whats your question??

OP, if you are interested in Jomtien have a look around soi wat boon, around 800m back from jomtien beach. Lots of condos that are 1 bedroom, park lane, paradise park, amazom etc. most things need are local, haircut, 7/11, dentist, market etc.

i thought that was for short time vacation holiday makers. dont want new neighbours every two dam weeks but will check it out, i just found what i think could be a bargain taking the bus down tomorrow morning. how do i get from the bus station to Jomtien thanks K

13 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i thought that was for short time vacation holiday makers. dont want new neighbours every two dam weeks but will check it out, i just found what i think could be a bargain taking the bus down tomorrow morning. how do i get from the bus station to Jomtien thanks K

Which station from BKK?  If you go from Suvarnaboomboom, the bus goes to Jomtien.  Ekkamai to Pattaya, you will be in north Pattaya.  Probably 100 b +from bus station to Jomtien on motorbike taxi.

Edited by bkk6060

2 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

ekkami bus station i live at Phra khanong

108 b to north Pats.

Motorbike to Jomtien.

PS:  This is one of those very great priced deals about Thailand.  About 3 bucks for a 2 hour bus ride on an aircon bus traveling on a fairly modern highway.  A true bargain I think.  I usually buy 2 seats so I can stretch out my long bod...

Edited by bkk6060