Tropical Crotch Rot

Jingthing

Several people have mentioned tea tree oil.  I've been using a tea tree oil liquid body soap for a few years now and maybe that's a contributing factor why my rash has never reappeared.  I have no doubt that the amount of actual tea tree oil in the soap is a trace amount, but maybe it's enough to keep outbreaks at bay?  I originally grabbed a bottle of the soap at random in Tesco when my usual brand was out of stock.  I stuck with it not because of the tea tree oil but because it lathers so well.  I doubt the soap would be a cure for a virulent outbreak, but maybe once it's cleared up it helps keep future outbreaks from erupting?

tea_tree.jpg.52b0c93d9c2163b5a656c4e0a0673aae.jpg

I just noticed the bottle says anti-bacteria, and above folks were talking about its anti-fungal properties.  Seems like an kind of universal antidote.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant imagine why a farang should get fungal infections, you aren't wading around fishing in the filthy pond waters like a lot of the country folk do or whatever. Could this be a sign of a weakened immune system and perhaps to much hygiene, an overkill of the skins natural protective chemistry ? How about taking the shower head off and cleaning it out which could be a source of the trouble.

Maybe losing weight and eating a lot of garlic and Ginger could also help,or even a change of diet, go vegetarian for a month.  

On 7/9/2560 at 7:35 AM, ToddinChonburi said:

Go to the doctor

You should get a pill and powder  

Antifungal pill to help fight from the inside and medical strength for the outside.

There ares more than enough natural cures on this thread. Like sun light, tiger balm, the round one and tea tree, neem  and witch hazel and alchol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would not shave the affected areas. Do more harm than good. Stay well away from the Thai Kwacks; unless of course they have a dishy bit at reception.  

Edited by owl sees all

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I cant imagine why a farang should get fungal infections, you aren't wading around fishing in the filthy pond waters like a lot of the country folk do or whatever. Could this be a sign of a weakened immune system and perhaps to much hygiene, an overkill of the skins natural protective chemistry ? How about taking the shower head off and cleaning it out which could be a source of the trouble.

Maybe losing weight and eating a lot of garlic and Ginger could also help,or even a change of diet, go vegetarian for a month.  

Well, not a miracle, simply by stepping somewhere barefoot where someone else with athletes foot went before, barefoot too of course - plenty of occasions here in fact as we all know ... actually it's highly contagious and caught easily.

No shoes in your house might be fine but in some shops just for instance it gets rather disgusting and is in no way healthy.

Then you might spread the germs from your feet (no matter if you actually already got athletes foot yourself or not) to your groin easily whilst putting on your underwear ...

That's why there where disinfectant-spray stations installed especially at public indoor pools, saunas etc. already some 35 years ago (back home i mean).

Of course everybody's personal 'micro-climate' and health-status (including weight, diet as you mentioned) makes a difference if people really develop symptoms (and how strong or persistent they might be), together with external factors like current very high humidity or sitting in planes or buses for really long hours etc. ...

Edited by jollyhangmon

I'm not a clean freak, to put it politely, so in my case I could probably improve things by paying more attention to that. I particularly liked the idea of spraying the shower with bleach water.

On my fungal history, I've had periodic episodes since childhood. Of course athletes foot, which is really easy to treat, but like many people, I get lazy after the symptoms go away. 

On the underarm, I saw that for the first time years ago here. 

On the crotch, I've had infrequent occurrences of that for decades, which is why I discount suggestions that it's about any new more serious disease. I even had red irritation chafing problems in the crotch when I was kid but that wasn't fungal. 

But for some reason, perhaps because it's been so infrequent, I've always had a harder time figuring out how to treat the crotch thing vs. the foot thing. It's always been harder and then for some reason I forget how I managed to clear it before because it's been so long. I do know I've never used Daktacort (or any antifungal plus steroid on that area). I would consider using a steroid there later but only after I've exhausted more conservative treatment options. 

I think the crotch is a harder area to treat and keep clean/dry during treatment (and after). So much moisture and when you're getting to butt area, of course, the complications of bowel matters. I really like the idea of the SPRAY that Lamisil sells specifically for crotch in the U.S. because so much easier to apply, but alas, not sold in Thailand. 

Edited by Jingthing

13 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Several people have mentioned tea tree oil.  I've been using a tea tree oil liquid body soap for a few years now and maybe that's a contributing factor why my rash has never reappeared.  I have no doubt that the amount of actual tea tree oil in the soap is a trace amount, but maybe it's enough to keep outbreaks at bay?  I originally grabbed a bottle of the soap at random in Tesco when my usual brand was out of stock.  I stuck with it not because of the tea tree oil but because it lathers so well.  I doubt the soap would be a cure for a virulent outbreak, but maybe once it's cleared up it helps keep future outbreaks from erupting?

tea_tree.jpg.52b0c93d9c2163b5a656c4e0a0673aae.jpg

I just noticed the bottle says anti-bacteria, and above folks were talking about its anti-fungal properties.  Seems like an kind of universal antidote.

The Tea Tree Mild & Deep Clean Natural Anti-Bacteria Shower Gel is excellent stuff.

You can get it at any Tesco Lotus supermarket.

145 baht for 500ml - see here.

ShotType1_328x328.jpg

That's all great but I'm questioning the logic of anti-bacterial soaps having anything to do with preventing recurrence of fungal infections. I wonder if it's more coincidental, more about using any decent soap or cleaner and drying off really well.

In case you really need to try another active ingredient there is TRAVOGEN Cream also available here in TH.

Active ingredient: Isoconazole nitrate 1%     (10mg in 1g of cream)

Indications {quote}:  T. is used for superficial fungal infections of the skin, eg. athlete's food (tinea pedis), tinea manus (hands), tinea inguinalis (crotch), fungal infections of the genital regions ...

How to:  unless prescribed otherwise applied once daily.

A general rule for fungal infections is that topical therapy should be continued for a period of 2 to 3 weeks and for 4 weeks in cases of treatment resistant infections (particularly between fingers or toes). Longer treatment is possible.
To avoid re-occurrence treatment should be continued at least another 2 weeks after healing.   {unquote} 

Yes, that's another option.

Obviously there is no "best" therapy for all cases. Just because some people report great results with a particular thing doesn't mean everyone will have the same experience. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's all great but I'm questioning the logic of anti-bacterial soaps having anything to do with preventing recurrence of fungal infections. I wonder if it's more coincidental, more about using any decent soap or cleaner and drying off really well.

Soap itself is anti-bacterial, but the tea tree oil that's added is anti-fungal.  Just how much tea tree oil is actually in the bottle, is what I wonder about, but *maybe* it's enough to ward off rashes?  It may be coincidental but in the few years I've been using the shower gel, I've not had any rashes any place, whereas before I'd have them off and on, maybe once every 18 months?

Thanks. Yes it's always hard with such commercial products to know how much is real as far as claimed beneficial ingredients and how much is marketing hype.

As far as bacteria we need bacteria in our bodies to be healthy. Of course bacterial infections are another matter.

Some ideas on how to prevent new outbreaks for those that are prone.

This is site where I got the idea for the short course of steroid plus zinc oxide. But I tried that in the wrong order.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/jock-itch-facts

"How can I prevent jock itch flare-ups?

Being careful to dry the skin around your groin after showering or bathing may be enough to prevent jock itch from returning.

If your skin tends to get chafed, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing, especially during activities.

If you have a continuing problem with jock itch, apply zinc oxide ointment to troublesome areas before engaging in activities to help prevent chafing. Afterward, wash and dry the areas carefully.

If you're prone to getting jock itch, ask your doctor about using an antifungal spray, gel, or powder on a regular basis."

On 9/7/2017 at 8:25 PM, soalbundy said:

now, now, a little humour shouldn't upset you, don't be so negative, relax and accept the fact that your crotch is rotting away, you have other qualities no doubt.

Far from it, my crotch is wonderful and has been that way for years, according to the one that gets near to it, and I was not upset or being negative, always happy, get that word, did you? to listen to others that might need a bit of advice, we cannot all be know-alls like you, have a nice day by making someone less fortunate than you happy.

Have had occasional rashes in the crotch and also some foot problems (both cracking peeling skin, athletes foot and toe fungus). I have used the antifungal creams but they were never a permanent cure.

My regime for keeping the skin fungi at bay, which i have evolved over the last 7 years, is as follows -

Shower every day, more than once if very sticky. Soap seems better than shower gels. Dry THOROUGHLY. I stand in front of a fan for a minute before dressing. If your feet are getting wet frequently, watch out for problems. Dry ASAP, use lotions if skin cracks. Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide are good for sterilising your toes, sole of your foot and fingers to prevent infections spreading (especially good for toe fungus). Wear socks when out, as long as only short periods (nothing worse than a small bit of gravel to cause a skin abrasion and start the foot problems off again). Obviously change underwear/socks daily. Do not wear underwear indoors - a free flow of air through your shorts is important.

Obviously do not use vinegar or hydrogen peroxide on broken skin!

Be prepared for a possible long haul. My current bout has been nine weeks already. A friend was smitten for 5 months. Some people are OK in a week.

My quack also told me to avoid jeans, and of course any nylon or acrylic. I was thinking of jogging bottoms for going local. At home, it's boxers.

Maybe a humorous update on where I'm at. 

As I said before the long course with Daktarin (just antifungal) had improved the situation. 

Then just a few days of not pure Aloe Vera gel inflamed the area a lot.

Now I've been digesting all these ideas, shopping for new cures, cleaning changes, new underwear etc. The underwear before was definitely part of the problem.

Going for loose boxers all the the time now.

In the meantime I've only been using zinc oxide (basically baby nappy cream).

As far as symptoms, irritation and itching are now rather minor annoyances (but that might be because the zinc oxide provides symptom relief). 

Cosmetically, there is still some redness but much less than when the aloe vera messed things up so much. 

So I'm really in no big rush right now for a new treatment. But I think I will try the Lamisel gel for a week as the instructions say, only once daily for a week. Because I'm guessing I could use more clearing (based mostly on the redness not fully clearing). 

Then hopefully will be OK to try the maintenance ideas, vinegar, maybe talc powder like Johnson's Baby Powder, and maybe even the antifungal dusting powder. 

Or if things get worse, back to the idea of trying Quadriderm (with steroid and antibacterial) but it's looking like less likely that I'll need that. 

For all I know the two days of steroid (plus zinc oxide) also helped with this, as suggested as the first step on that link I posted before. 

If anything else, I hope I remember next time, for me never ever use not pure aloe vera on that area! I think I probably have in the past with similar bad effects, but it's been years, so I forgot! 

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, thanks to all of those that have posted sincerely about this medical problem that does indeed concern many people, especially men, especially in hotter climates.

Even people that haven't had this problem, perhaps they can follow a few simple tips on this thread that may help with prevention. No it's not a serious disease, but it's best to avoid it.

It's encouraging that only a minority found this an opportunity to indulge in immature joking. 

No, a serious disease it ain't but certainly annoying.
I for my part surely didn't laugh that much when I discovered balls just like overripe raspberries - no, not so much according to size but to color, especially in that fluorescent light of the bathroom.

No known history of any fungal infections in my case at all, so yes, it happens ... 

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Powders not creams. There is an old fashioned treatment using a solution made from bright purple crystals...Cant remember name. Also-always drink plenty of water and dont use toilet paper.

That is gentian violet.

A cheap and quite effective anti-fungal and antiseptic, but messy to use - will stain everything purple,

The large Facino will have these items, use them together to rid yourself of the 7 year itch

(also lose weight and consume no sugar)

Nystatin Cream (generic Thai equivalent)

Prednisone Cream (only cream formulation)

These are the nasty hardcore solution you're looking for.

6 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

The large Facino will have these items, use them together to rid yourself of the 7 year itch

(also lose weight and consume no sugar)

Nystatin Cream (generic Thai equivalent)

Prednisone Cream (only cream formulation)

These are the nasty hardcore solution you're looking for.

That's two kinds of steroids. Hard core.

I've said multiple times I'm trying to avoid more than  a few days of any steroid in the groin area, if I can.

I have my reasons.

First, my experience with underarms where I think I've become somewhat steroid dependent, to periodically clear up inflammation when it occurs. I don't think anything else would ever work there.

I don't want that to happen in the groin. 

Also, lazy of me to not have the link, but I saw an extreme statement from some kind of credible sounding British pharmacy organization. It was really surprising. What it said, that even if they get a scrip for a steroid for jock itch, they refuse to fill it! Wow. 

I know many people do use steroids in the groin and have been OK but I'm going with more conservative approaches at least until I'm convinced there is no other way. 

Nystatin is an antifungal which is sold as Micostatin or Mycostatin in some places. It was discovered in 1950. It comes in several forms incl. strawberry-mint liquid for oral thrush as well as vaginal pessaries and the regular cream. It ain't no steroid bro'.

23 hours ago, pauleddy said:

Nystatin is an antifungal which is sold as Micostatin or Mycostatin in some places. It was discovered in 1950. It comes in several forms incl. strawberry-mint liquid for oral thrush as well as vaginal pessaries and the regular cream. It ain't no steroid bro'.

Yes, you're right. 

Thanks for correcting my error.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/nystatin-ointment.html

Nystatin is an antifungal antibiotic which is both fungistatic and fungicidal in vitro against a wide variety of yeasts and yeast-like fungi.

Edited by Jingthing

An interesting website focused on jock itch including natural remedies.

http://jockitchcrusader.com/

How can I treat jock itch naturally? I don’t want to use the drug store stuff.

Because jock itch is considered a fungal infection you do have a really good shot of treating it without resorting to using over the counter creams and powders.

You can kill the infection naturally! Doing things like including a high quantity of garlic in your meals is a good place to start as garlic contains great anti fungal qualities. You can also apply tea tree oil – it combines anti fungal properties with cleansing elements. Apple cider vinegar, bleach (seriously!), honey and even onions can all help to cure it. Another aspect to consider is your diet. High carb and sugar diets can prolong jock itch. Instead of reaching for the loaf of bread, power your engine with some raw fruits, vegetables or nuts.

Edited by Jingthing