Monk drops charges against Thai police in sensational drugging and blackmail case

webfact

Monk drops charges against Thai police in sensational drugging and blackmail case

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

It is a case straight out of a cautionary fable, said Thai Rath, and certainly falls into the "only in Thailand" bracket.

We might call it the monk, the woman, the police and the short time sex room.

A Khon Kaen monk - in line to be the next abbot at his temple - said that he was drugged by drinking orange juice then taken to a short time hotel.

There he claimed he had his picture taken in a delicate situation with a young woman.

The purpose was blackmail to stop him rising to the top of the temple.

Yesterday Phra Khru Sutweerasunthorn, 47, of Wat Bamrung Wiriya travelled to Mahasarkham with two policemen - Watcharaphong Singsorn and Worasit Khotape - to meet police there to formally drop charges he had previously made.

The woman in the blackmail scheme - Patrawee Namsomjai - didn't show up. A summons has been issued and an arrest warrant will be filed if she fails to go to Borabeu police.

The monk told reporters that he was in line to be the next abbot but some people were opposed to this. On a trip to Mahasarakham he said Patrawee gave him drugged orange juice.

He promptly fell asleep.

The next thing he knew was that he had woken up and was being photographed by the two cops with the woman in a short time hotel. They threatened him with defrocking.

But thankfully, CCTV came to the monk's rescue and proved that he had been abducted and did not go of his own accord.

The Thai Rath report did not mention any sanctions from police against their men in the case and questions about their involvement were not posed.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-06

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

You couldnt make up better stories than this!!:cheesy:

Oh I dont know Col...how about ..."Ex PM..hides in Boot of police car while being smuggled across the border".......while all guards around her house said to have mysteriously, fallen asleep---or been star gazing...........:coffee1:

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It's a sad and extremely paradoxical day in Thailand when one of them is telling the truth, but you still don't believe either of them. 

It is hard to find the truth here. When you ask a yes or no question you get a 15 minute answer.

Just shows how much money and power there is in temples,when

they resort to this kind of thing, so have they now arrested those

that  tried to blackmail the monk,the police were obviously involved,

but who paid them ?

regards worgeordie

12 minutes ago, missoura said:

Of her own choosing, my Thai wife seldom donates to monks and/or temples anymore. 

monk shopping.JPG

19 minutes ago, missoura said:

Of her own choosing, my Thai wife seldom donates to monks and/or temples anymore. 

monk shopping.JPG

Call the cops, someone . . . looks like this one's just taken the waters at Tops

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It's a sad and extremely paradoxical day in Thailand when one of them is telling the truth, but you still don't believe either of them. 

The true colors of the country. Which one would you trust:

Brown

Orange

Khaki

Olive

Red

Yellow

or maybe a vivid mouse grey?

There must be a competition between monks and lady boys who makes the headlines these days.

Edited by Lupatria

I must be having a particularly 'thick' day because I'm not getting this. He's sticking to his claim that it was a setup that involved two police officers and a woman, and there is CCTV to back him up. There's even a question about whether the RTP will discipline the two officers involved, so that part of the story seems legit. So why is he withdrawing the charges (he asks naively, but with a bit of wink wink nod nod)? 

I can believe this story. I've seen first hand how being an abbot is a license to print money when it falls into the wrong hands. It opens up so many underhanded business opportunities to  these much beloved and respected men in robes. 

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

I'd like to say it could happen anywhere, but that simply isn't true for this one.

I seem to remember a few stories from e.g. USA  where 'evangelists' defrauded people of a lot of money. Many were also caught with drugs and/or being recipients of sex services, male or female. 

But of course they are forgiven when they 'repent' on TV, and then can go on  reeking in  shitloads of money.