Britain could still reverse Brexit, former minister Heseltine says

webfact

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Merkel, Macron and Juncke have all made it clear they back the UK staying. I believe Merkel and Juncke also see that if Britain decided to stay it would likely result in more integration than before. Which they'd welcome.

With the questionable bonus of a re-invigorated Nigel Farage and a resurgence of UKIP.

Edited by NanLaew

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Sadly, it is clear that in England, the numpties are in the majority. They will be taught a very hard lesson but it will be a generation at least before we get back in to the EU if ever. Huge mistake. 

It's a UK referendum Grousey. Not regional. The member country is the UK not regions thereof.

Lasting well since the 12th then :whistling:

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

With the questionable bonus of a re-invigorated Nigel Farage and a resurgence of UKIP.

It would be interesting to see if Farage and his cronies had the bare faced cheek to stand as MEP's again if that happened! 

And still only turn up for a fraction of the time whilst grabbing every penny and cent going!

Thankfully, the UKIP looks a spent force. Done it's damage, sadly, though.

Indeed so. We are going become more integrated nation, once Britain has departed us. 

EU will become one country, quite similar what USA is today. We are willing to get there as we see the benefits. We also see the downsides, lack of independence etc. But to be part of unity, instead of being 'independent' in paper, really makes the point. 

If Brits wish to be independent on paper, that's their right. 

Not your Russian right. 

53 minutes ago, midas said:

And please explain how the EU will suddenly make British people wealthy?

I feel sorry for you regarding your aspiration because if UK does go back in as you say don't forget in the future when the EU bureaucrats tell you to jump your reply to them should be how high?:cheesy:

What nonsense!!!

1. You participating from the beginning in becoming wealthy

2. In Brussels YOUR BUREAUCRATS sitting and decide for UK

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Oh, the Guardian knows better than EU statistic??? Wow!

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

Right now, pretty much all EU countries see Britain as Trumplandia. 

No question the MEP whores do, along with others on the gravy train. What about the people? You know, the electorate. Remember how some of the members were initially to be given the vote on what was then called the EU constitution but after both the Dutch and the French people rejected it outright it was put on hold? Czech Republic was due to hold a referendum as were other countries which many including the Czech Republic would have rejected.

Not happy (MPs, MEPs etc.) at the possibility of disruption to the gravy train they renamed it the Lisbon Treaty and decided not to give anyone the chance to vote unless they were constitutionally bound to have one, and we saw what happened in Ireland and in Poland and in the Czech republic. The EU simply swamped them with money and in the case of Ireland done it twice.

When the UK signed there was outrage at having our vote stolen with people saying, correctly saying, that no good will come of it as the people will not forget how they have been treated. Enter stage left, Brexit. Y'see, this is what happens when you impose your will on the people you are supposed to represent.

5 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

What nonsense!!!

1. You participating from the beginning in becoming wealthy

2. In Brussels YOUR BUREAUCRATS sitting and decide for UK

Are we now seeing what so called Artificial Intelligence robots by Soviet regime are saying?

9 minutes ago, notmyself said:

No question the MEP whores do, along with others on the gravy train. What about the people? You know, the electorate. Remember how some of the members were initially to be given the vote on what was then called the EU constitution but after both the Dutch and the French people rejected it outright it was put on hold? Czech Republic was due to hold a referendum as were other countries which many including the Czech Republic would have rejected.

Not happy (MPs, MEPs etc.) at the possibility of disruption to the gravy train they renamed it the Lisbon Treaty and decided not to give anyone the chance to vote unless they were constitutionally bound to have one, and we saw what happened in Ireland and in Poland and in the Czech republic. The EU simply swamped them with money and in the case of Ireland done it twice.

When the UK signed there was outrage at having our vote stolen with people saying, correctly saying, that no good will come of it as the people will not forget how they have been treated. Enter stage left, Brexit. Y'see, this is what happens when you impose your will on the people you are supposed to represent.

We are in divorce status. We used to have all the fun between our people, now we are leaving all that behind. 

We both know that this divorce will hurt both of us, but it must be done, so that we can go on with our lives.

UK had a poll and it decided that UK will leave EU. 

It's no longer EU's problem how this divorce happens. It's UK's problem.

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

Turkeys' population 80 million. UK's population 65 million. 

It will be just few year before Turkey becomes a more important player in EU economies, that UK is.

What is your point?

Only 2 days ago both German electorates stated that Turkey will never become part of the EU

Turkey is so poor a nation it is estimated that the EU would have to spend over 30% of the EU's structural budget if it joined

It's population is growing at such a rate with very little growth that will ultimately lead to mass migration on a huge scale

This is before you get into the human rights issues

Either i have missed your point or you must be very deluded

It would be interesting to see if Farage and his cronies had the bare faced cheek to stand as MEP's again if that happened! 

And still only turn up for a fraction of the time whilst grabbing every penny and cent going!

Thankfully, the UKIP looks a spent force. Done it's damage, sadly, though.

What damage is that, giving the United Kingdom a democracy 'choice' in voting? Just because the spineless opposition Labour didn't think the electorate deserved it.

Agreed, UKIP is a spent force, Article 50 is invoked and Brexit is happening.

Time to move on.

As for that dinosaur Heseltine, he's also a spent force and a moaning remainer that nobody cares about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Out means out period !

Yes it's all very well repeating the rhetoric but I am afraid the Brexit MP's in charge can't get there.  I think number one is to agree on something...Anything will do.  Then get the EU negotiators to accept it.  Fat chance of any of that so the "Out means out" rant is pretty pointless.

Every day there is another conflicting story.  First (at the weekend) they were leaning towards a Norwegian type arrangement then they said that May had agreed to a 50 billion Euro bill and then they leak the report saying that they are definitely going to lower the immigrants allowed in.  What will it be tomorrow.  This is becoming the un-funniest joke in British political history.

A post has been  edited to remove inflammatory language and another post, and replies to it, removed.

In threads of this nature there will naturally be diverging views expressed.  But please ensure you post in a civil manner without disrespecting those of differing viewpoints.

A quick scan of the voting statistics tell me that 38% of registered voters voted for Brexit, 35% voted for remain and 27% were no shows.

My interpretation of that is that a minority of voters were hoodwinked by Nigel, Boris and the likes, a smaller minority saw common sense And good too many, who should have got off their butts, didn't! I suspect that many of them thought 'It couldn't possibly happen, so I'll not bother'. But it did!

I agree, if another referendum were called now, there would be a massive rush to the polling stations to get this calamitous decision reversed.

But, have those up there got the courage to admit that Cameron made a huge blunder?

What we could call a view of someone from another planet, maybe the "moon"!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but . . .

Free speech is important. Thai Visa members should be given the opportunity to judge for themselves whether a posting is a "troll" or not - particularly one of half a page which has clearly taken considerable effort to produce.

We are not "snowflakes" and don't need safe spaces  to cower in. Let 'em all come.

Just for the record, the "troll" posting is not mine.

This is my first and only response to the item about the Heseltine interview and I have no axe to grind other than against the insidious and growing tendency  to proscribe free speech that goes against the perceived politically-correct grain.

I suspect others out there think the same way.

Freedom of speech is one thing but trolling rightly gets binned.  There are plenty of obnoxious posts that get a fair airing and I think the balance is pretty good.

Barnier / juncker and the EU monster have one massive concern! The massive hole in their bloated budget! They want UKs money and hate the fact they ain't gonna get anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Your rather stating the obvious there, although Barnier has been set a remit and to date it appears the EU have put no flexibility in this.

The EU are also aware of the legality of the Brexit bill, the UK's investment in the EIB and other factors,

Lastly, losing the 2nd biggest net contributor will inevitably require the EU accountants to revise and limit its fiscal governance.

The EU money gravy train will be reviewed, however expecting the UK to cough up beyond what it's legally obligated to is pure fantasy and the EU know it.

30 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Your rather stating the obvious there, although Barnier has been set a remit and to date it appears the EU have put no flexibility in this.

The EU are also aware of the legality of the Brexit bill, the UK's investment in the EIB and other factors,

Lastly, losing the 2nd biggest net contributor will inevitably require the EU accountants to revise and limit its fiscal governance.

The EU money gravy train will be reviewed, however expecting the UK to cough up beyond what it's legally obligated to is pure fantasy and the EU know it.

Go blowhard and it will be alright is the Brexiteer mantra round here.

17 minutes ago, citybiker said:

It was so long ago that I forget when but sometime very late 90s or very early 2000s the UK's net cost of being in the EU club passed the £1T mark.

For the most part the UK has no issue with the peoples of continental Europe and just asked that they change their ways because they are going in the wrong direction insofar as attempting to thrust their manufactured social goals on the population.

In any case... what would happen if the entire EU population were given the vote?

The best thing ever to happen to The Uk. We do not need them like they need us. There will be a big hole in their kitty. They will have to cut down on their discrasfull expenses and Footballer salaries.

UK shouls walk away now and not pay the ransom they demand. There are a lot f countries in the world with open arms to trade with the UK. And the EU could not afford to stop trading with them.

you will see a number of other EU countries will start having referendums to leave. Stuff the EU.A number of them like France, Germany and Greece owe the UK a lot of money it cost the UK fighting for THEIR freedom. 

The UK ended up forgiving payments from Germany for the repatriation funds. 

UP YOU, THE EU. BLOODY DICTATORS.

3 minutes ago, shaurene said:

UK shouls walk away now and not pay the ransom they demand. There are a lot f countries in the world with open arms to trade with the UK. And the EU could not afford to stop trading with them.

If only it was that easy !!!!!!!!

Come on shaurene, you shouldn't sit on the fence so much  :smile:

You see if the Brexit boys in charge of the divorce had your attitude then this could be all over in days. For some strange reason they prefer to bicker amongst themselves and keep backtracking on all the commitments they made.  I do understand that walking away would cause a UK economic meltdown and the pound falling through the floor but hey! That would teach them EU boys! 

The fact that there is no progress is because we cannot walk away and knee jerk responses are not going to get us anywhere.

Go blowhard and it will be alright is the Brexiteer mantra round here.

Even though the Brexit talks are in its infancy it's already in troubled waters, due to the EU wanting it all their way (UK red lines).

Also, consequences for leaving etc doesn't exactly help the situation as anyone knows that the EU simply want to discourage other MS from following simple.

We know the Aim & overall goal is to teach the UK harshly to scare others, use the UK as a lesson of what happens when you challenge the EU.

A constructive progressive deal can benefit both sides yet the arrogance of the EU is also its staunch weakness, the ECJ issue and Brexit Bill & the newly released Government paper on immigration will no doubt annoy the EU but tough, we're leaving.

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

UK won't change it's mind - there would be riots galore that democracy had failed. Only these riots would be the worst ever seen.

The UK may not change it's mind but an awful lot of people have.  I would have no problem with the "democracy" if people voted on the facts but they didn't, they voted on lies they were told.  That is not democracy and the decent thing to do now is lay out the facts and let people then decide.  For some reason that seems to scare the brown stuff out of some sections of the population.  I wonder why that is?

8 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Even though the Brexit talks are in its infancy it's already in troubled waters, due to the EU wanting it all their way (UK red lines).

Also, consequences for leaving etc doesn't exactly help the situation as anyone knows that the EU simply want to discourage other MS from following simple.

We know the Aim & overall goal is to teach the UK harshly to scare others, use the UK as a lesson of what happens when you challenge the EU.

A constructive progressive deal can benefit both sides yet the arrogance of the EU is also its staunch weakness, the ECJ issue and Brexit Bill & the newly released Government paper on immigration will no doubt annoy the EU but tough, we're leaving.

There is a lot of truth in what you say.  The thing is in two or three or four (or more) years time when we are actually out of the EU, where will we be?  Before the referendum Cameron laid it on the line as to how the EU would react and that is pretty much what is happening.  They had made that clear to him so no wonder he cut and ran after the vote was to leave.  It left the UK in chaos and all the bluster from May doesn't hide the fact that we are going to take a hiding.

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The UK may not change it's mind but an awful lot of people have.  I would have no problem with the "democracy" if people voted on the facts but they didn't, they voted on lies they were told.  That is not democracy and the decent thing to do now is lay out the facts and let people then decide.  For some reason that seems to scare the brown stuff out of some sections of the population.  I wonder why that is?

Misinformation from both sides with mainstream media being mostly at the helm of the remains'. Sure some people have changed their minds and have gone from yes to no or from no to yes. Seems to me that many of the people I know who have gone from remain to leave have done so because of the reaction by the EU toward the UK while those changing heart to remain have done so because of the exchange rate drop and or that May is in charge.