Bangkok bank really doesn't give out any Visa card anymore?

Samacha

Hi guys, I tried to ask Bangkok bank for a Visa card in 3 different branches. This week. And they say they don't give out any Visa card any more and they cancel those Visa card from their system. Now I am buffed. I mean a bank without visa, it's that really a bank? Union pay card I can't do a damn thing with it.

I ask 2 weeks ago in tesco lotus branch and the bank manager said she can do it. But I forgot my bank book haha. Lol has anything changed? Today I went to a Bangkok bank branch in thungsang road corner near the Kasikorn bank and they say they can't help me with it and are sorry and even told me to make a account in SCB......

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bangok bank has stopped issuing visa debit cards. correct. Visa credit cards are still offered.

i was able to get one at head office, but it was a sirirat hospital visa card  with some insurance scheme attached. that was some months ago.

i was told by the woman issuing it, that once that batch ran out there would be no others issued to replace them. She expected their remaining cards to be gone by the end of the day.

your only hope is to find an out of the way branch that may have residual stock, which, this late in the game is unlikely.

visa debit cards issued by bangkok bank will continue to be honored, but cannot be replaced if lost.

Edited by HooHaa

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They still state the Visa card is available on their website. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Be1stCard/Pages/default.aspx

If they don't have one at the branch you go to it is my understanding they can order one for you.

Yes they can order from head office in BKK

many others experiences on other threads, and my own personal travails, in addition to what i was told at head office would indicate differently.

also their website is woefully out of date.

love to hear anecdotal evidence of any one succeeding, but i doubt i will.

Thais only...you need to be a Thai with a "Job" to get credit.  My Thai wife has one with a set credit limit. I tell her she can't use it either...until she does that is LOL.  Expats need to put money on the bank to cover charges. They also need a Work Permit also. My card says Visa on it but it is only a ATM card only good for what's in the account. It's been that way for the last 11 years since I've been here.

10 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

Thais only...you need to be a Thai with a "Job" to get credit.  My Thai wife has one with a set credit limit. I tell her she can't use it either...until she does that is LOL.  Expats need to put money on the bank to cover charges. They also need a Work Permit also. My card says Visa on it but it is only a ATM card only good for what's in the account. It's been that way for the last 11 years since I've been here.

your correct about most of your post apart from a farang needing a work permit, that part is untrue. im retired no work permit been here 17years and got my card about 5 years ago.

2 minutes ago, catman20 said:

your correct about most of your post apart from a farang needing a work permit, that part is untrue. im retired no work permit been here 17years and got my card about 5 years ago.

my dad is a aussie, my mom is thai. She brought me to Bangkok bank because its suppose to be the biggest bank in thailand lol. She told me that you can do everything with it. HAHA. As i returned back to thailand after 28 years living outside (I am 28 years old), I JUST NEED a working bank thats has a visa card so i can purchase online in ali express, etc.... With union i cant order a damn thing.

17 hours ago, Samacha said:

I been to 4 branches and no luck in khon kaen

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You already raised this issue a few weeks ago - https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/996432-need-urgently-help-with-the-bangkok-bank-card/

42 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

There used to be a couple of people, (English speaking), who worked for the Bangkok Bank, who posted in the Banking section, a while back, it may be worth having a look in there, they may be able to advise.

Long gone.........the last post from one of them explained why he no longer responded

My wife and I both recently got VISA debit cards from Bangkok Bank.

At the local branch here in Phuket, we explained to them that the new Union Pay cards cannot be used in ATMs in the US, and we specifically needed VISA branded cards.

No problem - however they can't be issued directly by local branches, they need to be ordered from the headquarters in Bangkok. Takes about 1 week from the time of order for the local branch to receive them.

23 minutes ago, DrDave said:

My wife and I both recently got VISA debit cards from Bangkok Bank.

At the local branch here in Phuket, we explained to them that the new Union Pay cards cannot be used in ATMs in the US, and we specifically needed VISA branded cards.

No problem - however they can't be issued directly by local branches, they need to be ordered from the headquarters in Bangkok. Takes about 1 week from the time of order for the local branch to receive them.

What was the fee for the card ?

I got a Visa debit card on the spot, but it came with personal accident insurance which I had to pay 599 baht for. As I don't have accident insurance, I don't mind too much and in some ways, it isn't a bad deal if you don't already have insurance.

For some reason though, they do seem to be pushing the Union Pay card, even though they weren't even sure if it could be used to make payments in shops such as Big C and Tesco.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/Be1stSmartSiriraj.aspx

52 minutes ago, tonray said:

What was the fee for the card ?

I think it was only 100 baht.

I remember being surprised because I thought it would be more.

This was about 5 weeks ago, and the new VISA debit cards come imprinted with the customer's name, not "Be1st Valued Member" as on the old cards.

Edited by DrDave
Added timeframe and name info

2 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I think it was only 100 baht.

I remember being surprised because I thought it would be more.

Not bad. They tried to hit me with 850 baht for a Visa atm card when I opened the account.. Bunch of scumbags. I think the bulk was for insurance.. But still.. I never thought any banks could be sleazier than US banks.. But I was wrong 

I just looked at the back of my BBL Visa debit card, and noticed that it's a Rabbit card. I was expecting it to have the logo of one of the worldwide ATM networks (for example, my K-Bank Visa debit card carries the logo for the Plus network), so it remains to be seen whether this card will work in an ATM outside of Thailand.

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

Not talking about an ATM card... I'm talking about a "Credit Card". I bet you do not have a Credit card from a Thai bank. You have an ATM card attached to your bank account.  The symbols on the back simply indicate which ATM's it can be used at.

1 minute ago, Mrjlh said:

Not talking about an ATM card... I'm talking about a "Credit Card". I bet you do not have a Credit card from a Thai bank. You have an ATM card attached to your bank account.  The symbols on the back simply indicate which ATM's it can be used at.

I had never a work permit in Thailand, and I have a Thai Credit Card since about 6 years now. So it is possible to receive a Credit card. But not always very easy to become. I even raised the credit limit one time which also not was a big issue. 

But I think it's about the same (maybe even worse) than then opening of a bank account in Thailand. Some people have no problem with it and others try many branches and can't open one....

4 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

your wrong my friend, how much money would you like to bet me?  i have a visa CREDIT CARD from Bangkok bank :smile: 

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

your wrong my friend, how much money would you like to bet me?  i have a visa CREDIT CARD from Bangkok bank :smile: 

You are one of the very rare people that has one.  It also has a very high interest rate.  I'll refer any further discussion to this article regarding the "new rules" :  http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/1294886/new-rules-on-credit-cards-personal-loans

3 hours ago, Samacha said:

my dad is a aussie, my mom is thai. She brought me to Bangkok bank because its suppose to be the biggest bank in thailand lol. She told me that you can do everything with it. HAHA. As i returned back to thailand after 28 years living outside (I am 28 years old), I JUST NEED a working bank thats has a visa card so i can purchase online in ali express, etc.... With union i cant order a damn thing.

im with Bangkok bank i got 2 cards one a visa card ones a master card had them about 5 years never any problems i book many things over the internet never had a problem.holidays, health supplements, things for the house and car. 

Myself and my wife just got Visa debit cards from the Branch in Central Pattaya about 3 weeks ago.

You have to tell them you do not want a union pay card.

They will order the card from Bangkok and it takes 5-7 days.

Fee 100bt and it does indeed have your name printed on the card.

3 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

You are one of the very rare people that has one.  It also has a very high interest rate.  I'll refer any further discussion to this article regarding the "new rules" :  http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/1294886/new-rules-on-credit-cards-personal-loans

i dont pay any interest as anything i spend is taken out of my bank account straight away at the end of the month. i also have a master card with them.:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Samacha said:

I have a Bangkok Bank account where I park my money. I also have a Kasikorn account that I use for ATM and Debit cards. I keep the KBank balance at an absolute minimum to isolate my risk of an ATM card skimmer. I transfer what I need for spending from Bangkok Bank to KBank using online banking.

KBank issued my Visa debit card with no problems whatsoever. The debit cards functions as my ATM card, and I have never had a problem using it for purchases in Thailand. Furthermore, they provided me with a "virtual" Visa card number that I use for online purchases. It functions as a debit card in the sense that there is no credit - funds are removed at the moment of purchase. The virtual Visa card has worked in approximately 95% of my online purchases, with the rare exceptions typically being subscriptions to online services in foreign countries.

I asked a Bangkok bank branch manager and she told me to get a SCB account with visa. And use that for online purchases. She said the union pay card it's for the future ^^. She said she is so sorry about the problems I have but can not order or issue any NEW VISA cards. People that have one are lucky she said, she says something about it will not be issued to new customers at all. New policy 1-2 week ago bla bla bla. She even phoned the main branch and they said NO. So today i will head off to SCB:).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

21 hours ago, HooHaa said:

bangok bank has stopped issuing visa debit cards. correct. Visa credit cards are still offered.

i was able to get one at head office, but it was a sirirat hospital visa card  with some insurance scheme attached. that was some months ago.

i was told by the woman issuing it, that once that batch ran out there would be no others issued to replace them. She expected their remaining cards to be gone by the end of the day.

your only hope is to find an out of the way branch that may have residual stock, which, this late in the game is unlikely.

visa debit cards issued by bangkok bank will continue to be honored, but cannot be replaced if lost.

Why do you or anyone care whether it is a Visa or MasterCard?