Meechai says election date cannot be set yet until the election law is enacted

webfact

Meechai says election date cannot be set yet until the election law is enacted

By Thai PBS

meechai-070960.jpg

The general election date will be set once the organic law regarding the election bill has become effective, Constitution Drafting Committee chairman Meechai Ruchupan said on Thursday (Sept 7).

He noted that all the talks and speculation about the date of the next general election are premature because there are legal procedures that have to be observed while the election bill is in the process of being deliberated.

The Election Commission (EC) earlier set Aug 19, 2018 as a tentative date for general election. The date was fixed after the EC’s board held a meeting on July 17 to lay down a timeframe for the next general election in 2018.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/meechai-says-election-date-cannot-set-yet-election-law-enacted/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-08

5 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

It is going to happen. YL is now out of the way. That has been the hold up.

The current bunch need the new laws to form a government. The Thaksinistas could put up a trained monkey for election and it would get at least as many votes as Yingluck did last time around. (for those so inclined, please don't interpret this post as support for the Thaksinistas. It isn't. It's just my interpretation of the lie of the land).

What will come first, the riots to get this "government" out or an election to get this "government" out.

The election, which will then be " reinterpreted in order to enhance happiness and support reconciliation".

A suitably Orwellian styled committee will be formed to run the country in a "transition". There will then be riots, the army will start shooting. At this point all bets are off...

55 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It is very difficult to rig an election to look legitimate but at the same time ensures no control is given away.

Is it? They did a grand job with the constitution. I would imagine any election would be run along similar lines.

Seems to me the  Junta are deliberately prolonging this now - this will be what 5 or 6 years ? To organize an election that most countries can set up in a month or so ? 2,000 days ? Come on. 

I fully anticipate now if this delay happens again, more military and navy and airforce spending. Make Thailand so poor that ALL parties will fail as they have no money.

Out of curiosity, why don't they deserve them and what do they deserve?

"Every country gets the government it deserves".

Some research showed around 75% of thais have no problem with corruption as long as they profit from it. Hence; they deserve a corrupt government over and over again till that changes.

38 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

"Every country gets the government it deserves".

Some research showed around 75% of thais have no problem with corruption as long as they profit from it. Hence; they deserve a corrupt government over and over again till that changes.

In my experience, this too simplistic of a view of how Thais view government.

The Thai people see the King as their father, and this is deeply engrained in their culture. For Thais, their father is the true "authority" and their true leader, and the government is more like the pedantic cousin who spoils the party. For the average Thai, they would prefer to be happy with their father, as long as the cousin doesn't become too much of a nuisance, and continues to manage the "details" in whatever way is most efficient.

Furthermore, they don't really see brown envelopes as "corruption", but more as the "cost of doing business". Personally, I can appreciate this concept, in the sense of trading off specific expense for general taxation. Unfortunately, this does in turn tend to lead to the real corruption that harms society and individuals.

As the US has discovered time and time again with their failed efforts to "democratize" countries, democracy is more than a constitution and an election. To work, it really requires a cultural underpinning, which can take generations to develop. How Thailand progresses from here to there, well, I don't know.

Edited by timendres
syntax

18 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

That should buy the Junta a few more years Ya that's right no election laws so hold off on the elections That's the ticket 

Exactly face saved all round but but but we can't hold elections no laws in place, not our fault.