car jumpstart powerbank, have you tried any ?

bleble

Be aware you are not allowed to take this device on a plane! Even if the battery got only 16500 mAh, it says proudly 55000! The limit on a plane is 30000 mAh, remember to wash off any lies of the capacity... A friend had to discard his powerbank at Phuket airport, because there was 30000 mAh written on it.

16 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Be aware you are not allowed to take this device on a plane! Even if the battery got only 16500 mAh, it says proudly 55000! The limit on a plane is 30000 mAh, remember to wash off any lies of the capacity... A friend had to discard his powerbank at Phuket airport, because there was 30000 mAh written on it.

Thank you. I wonder if it could really be 55000 ?

And why should I carry it on a plane ? :-)

On an Aussie truckies forum, there was great debate about getting a good one as the market is flooded with Chinese ones with rubbish wiring, connectors and inferior Li-ion batteries. If it has multiple USB sockets, built-in flashlights, a bottle opener, a thing to get boy scouts out of horses hooves and it is only @99.99, don't buy it! Not unknown for a cheap one to spark and catch fire due to the shonky batteries they use.

The one that the roadside assistance guy toted around last year was a good one but I forgot to get the brand. He said it cost around 5000 baht and jumping batteries was all it did. My 3.2 engine was on the upper limits of the units capability and the first attempt on my totally flat battery was a bust but he left it hooked up for another 5 minutes and it worked the second time around. Smaller ones will work on petrol engines as they are lower compression than diesels and don't need so much grunt.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

On an Aussie truckies forum, there was great debate about getting a good one as the market is flooded with Chinese ones with rubbish wiring, connectors and inferior Li-ion batteries. If it has multiple USB sockets, built-in flashlights, a bottle opener, a thing to get boy scouts out of horses hooves and it is only @99.99, don't buy it! Not unknown for a cheap one to spark and catch fire due to the shonky batteries they use.

The one that the roadside assistance guy toted around last year was a good one but I forgot to get the brand. He said it cost around 5000 baht and jumping batteries was all it did. My 3.2 engine was on the upper limits of the units capability and the first attempt on my totally flat battery was a bust but he left it hooked up for another 5 minutes and it worked the second time around. Smaller ones will work on petrol engines as they are lower compression than diesels and don't need so much grunt.

Any link to the forum or brand ? Thank you.

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

CTEK ... www.jumpandcharge.com

Thank you, I found them on lazada:

http://www.lazada.co.th/ctekthai/?itemperpage=120&sc=KfcH&sort=priceasc&viewType=gridView&fs=1

By the way, I am also looking for a device that I can connect between my car battery and my dashcam to record when the car is parked. This device will disconnect the dashcam before the battery is empty, do you know its name and where I could find it ?

Thank you so much.

If you want a battery jump starter - the green/black one from lazada works pretty well, I purchase mine from lazada as well. The capacity is normally not 55000mah though. I've jump start bmws, toyotas, and hondas no problem.

If you want a cable jump starter, don't get a cheap cable, get a branded quality one. Cheap cables don't have the capacity to pass on the current / voltage.

The CTEK one is a battery charger, not jump starter. I have this and its excellent for charger.

Edited by mike324

Had one in the home country. Ex has it now. I was fairly heavy. Too heavy to tote through the airport. It was a good one that I got from the employer for a safety program. Don't remember the make but it worked good. Great in the cold winter climate. But once my car battery was starting to have trouble I would buy a new one. I can't stand having a flat battery.

13 hours ago, bleble said:

By the way, I am also looking for a device that I can connect between my car battery and my dashcam to record when the car is parked. This device will disconnect the dashcam before the battery is empty, do you know its name and where I could find it ?

Thank you so much.

http://www.lazada.co.th/blackvue-power-magic-pro-for-vehicle-multi-booting-batterydischarge-prevention-for-parking-mode-intl-11277334.html?spm=a2o4l.search.0.0.i0Sgq4&ff=1

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

If you want a battery jump starter - the green/black one from lazada works pretty well, I purchase mine from lazada as well. The capacity is normally not 55000mah though. I've jump start bmws, toyotas, and hondas no problem.

If you want a cable jump starter, don't get a cheap cable, get a branded quality one. Cheap cables don't have the capacity to pass on the current / voltage.

The CTEK one is a battery charger, not jump starter. I have this and its excellent for charger.

I've seen mixed reviews on CTEK.  I've seen glowing reports and guys saying they wouldn't own anything else, and then others saying "they used to be top of the line but no longer...".  

And yes, battery charger/tender and jump starter not the same thing.   But definitely avoid the rubbish advertised on TV - cheap Chinese junk.

Edited by hawker9000

3 hours ago, khunano said:

A cheaper alternative would be to carry jump-start cables in the car. When the battery is flat find a cabbie to help you jump start your car and give him 100 Baht for the service :thumbsup:

But but that is OLD and proven technology. It is simple, easy and it works. More bulky perhaps but far cheaper and more reliable.

4 hours ago, mike324 said:

Yes I checked all the pictures and some powerbank jump started advertised as 55000+ have 13000 written on the box !

But as you confirmed that the green and black works I will buy this one.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I had one a few years ago. Not all that effective, and the battery only cycled for a few recharges before giving up completely.

I'd say the suggestion about paying a cabbie for a jump start would be a lot simpler and cheaper.

Sorry but I am not looking for anything cheaper than 1000 thb in this life :-) It's already so cheap, even if it works only 1 time it deserves its price in my opinion.

And when you stay somewhere without anybody around to help, it's a lot safer to have one.

If your battery was totally dead of course it cannot work well.

4 hours ago, luis888 said:

Although not the same one, I use and sell something similar and it starts cars and motorcycles, no problem. It's quite amazing how such a small battery can start a car, but it does.

Can you show me which one you like ? thanks.

23 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

I've seen mixed reviews on CTEK.  I've seen glowing reports and guys saying they wouldn't own anything else, and then others saying "they used to be top of the line but no longer...".  

And yes, battery charger/tender and jump starter not the same thing.   But definitely avoid the rubbish advertised on TV - cheap Chinese junk.

I've only own a cheap chinese one and a CTEK, so I can't compare like others online. I think as a home user, CTEK is more than enough. Choices are pretty limited here.

I am curious as to why you really need one of these devices unless your leaving your vehicle for long periods without running.

In my experience the only time you need one is when the battery is stuffed and then it's time to buy a new one

I have a set of very heavy duty jumper leads I made myself they tend to get used helping other people we have needed them once in six years when the battery died maybe we have been lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 2:48 PM, bleble said:

Can you show me which one you like ? thanks.

I'm sorry for the long delay in replying to you bleble, I haven't been on TV for a while, I'll take a photo and post it for you.

• 2 months later...