Cider

rak sa_ngop

Apples grown for consumption or consumer outlets are far from ideal for cidermaking, as they are low in tannins. Most makers use cider apples, the cultivars developed specifically for cidermaking, of which there are many hundreds of varieties.

Contents

I guess the juice of 1 teabag may be required.

• 4 weeks later...
I had the following brought in from UK last week:

Young's Brew dried active yeast

and

Young's Brew super wine yeast compound

all I need now is some kind of fermentation container and I'll give it a go. I'm told the wine yeast is better for cider.

I finally got the equipment I needed to botch up a system and give it a go. I started the process early this morning and within 45 minutes, the fermentation had begun.

post-123-1179207681_thumb.jpg

Four hours later it was really working well.

post-123-1179207697_thumb.jpg

The sixth day and it's starting to clear. Fermentation was so quick that I'm expecting it's going to be as weak as Heineken!

I don't think you mentioned what it is you are brewing up. Is it cider and if so where is your apple juice from?

Good luck, as long as it has not 'gone off' I am sure it will be enjoyed.

The sixth day and it's starting to clear. Fermentation was so quick that I'm expecting it's going to be as weak as Heineken!

Of my 1st 3 batches, 2 were 6.2-6.3% the other was considerably stronger.

The other was 8.6%, the only difference was I added sugar r.

Fermantation was only 8 days in both cases. (edit added line)

Does anyone know where to get a crown capper? Just the type you hit with a rubber mallet , not the hydraulic factory units.

Cheers

Edited by percy2

Of my 1st 3 batches, 2 were 6.2-6.3% the other was considerably stronger.

The other was 8.6%, the only difference was I added sugar r.

Must give this a go.

8.6% is certainly in the range of the 'real' Zummerzet Zoider, luverly stuff :D :D

Should make a lethal Snakebite when combined with Grolsch.

I really like cider, also brings back (blurred) memories of some Korean clients visiting our factory in Wells, they decided to try the local cider, what nobody warned them was that unlike Korean 'Chilsung Cider' (ie 7-Up) this stuff had bite, we didn't see them until lunch time next day :o:D

I don't think you mentioned what it is you are brewing up. Is it cider and if so where is your apple juice from?

Were you not the original poster who named the thread "Cider"?

:o:D :D

Only joking, lah!

Is it cider and if so where is your apple juice from?

The apple juice came from Big 'C'. Mallee brand, I think. It's "100% pure apple juice (unsweetened) made from concentrate" according to the label.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a pint last night (this morning) whilst watching the Montreal qualifying. It was very still and very, very dry and appeared to pack a bit of a kick (difficult to be sure after a gallon of Archa/*Chang*). Whatever, I'll certainly be brewing some more; maybe fizz it up a little bit next time.