Sudanese man arrested at Phuket Airport with illegal ammunition

rooster59

Sudanese man arrested at Phuket Airport with illegal ammunition 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1504927773_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A Sudanese man was arrested at Phuket International Airport yesterday (Sep 8) morning after security scans discovered the man was carrying ammunition.

Chief of Saku Police Station Pol Col Jirasak Siemsak orded Pol Maj Prawat Tantiputsapat, the investigator of Saku Police Station and his team to arrest the 32-year-old, Sudanese national identified as Mr Eyas Mohamed Alhassan Mahmoud Alammas for possession of a black ammunition magazine and nine 7.65 millimetre bullets.

Security personnel were alerted when the man, carrying his luggage, passed through a security checkpoint and bag scanner at Phuket International Airport at 7:50am on September 8.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/sudanese-man-arrested-at-phuket-airport-with-illegal-ammunition-63816.php#cbumViPXwq33fUQJ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-09

Sudanese? Maybe I'm way off, but aren't Sudanese supposed to be black Africans? This guy looks more Arab, like someone from neighboring Egypt, Saudi Arabia or somewhere else in North Africa or the Middle East.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I was just wondering...

He was charged with illegally possessing ammunition, not with possessing illegal ammunition.  7.65mm is what is normally referred to as .32 caliber pistol ammunition.  This is legal ammunition in Thailand but you need a Por 4 permit for a .32 pistol to possess it legally.  

I don't suppose he was get off as lightly as the retired Thai police general who was arrested trying ot board a plane in Tokyo with a loaded .22 magnum revolver in his hand luggage.  He was released after two weeks following heavy diplomatic pressure.  He should really have been left there to serve time.  Even though this guy apparently didn't even have the gun to go with the ammo and it was in his check-in luggage, not his carry on, he is not likely to be given the benefit of the doubt due to his provenance.

By the way what happened to the young Swiss guy who was arrested in similar circumstances at Phuket airport with some 9mm rounds in his check-in bag that he seemed genuinely to have overlooked before leaving home.   

12 hours ago, jimster said:

Sudanese? Maybe I'm way off, but aren't Sudanese supposed to be black Africans? This guy looks more Arab, like someone from neighboring Egypt, Saudi Arabia or somewhere else in North Africa or the Middle East.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I was just wondering...

Southern Sudan is black African. The north is Arabic.

They don't like each other which is why there was a civil war that was decades long.

The north controls the south, or, at least it did until the world's newest country was created, called South Sudan.

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I don't suppose he was get off as lightly as the retired Thai police general who was arrested trying ot board a plane in Tokyo with a loaded .22 magnum revolver in his hand luggage.  He was released after two weeks following heavy diplomatic pressure.  He should really have been left there to serve time.  Even though this guy apparently didn't even have the gun to go with the ammo and it was in his check-in luggage, not his carry on, he is not likely to be given the benefit of the doubt due to his provenance.

By the way what happened to the young Swiss guy who was arrested in similar circumstances at Phuket airport with some 9mm rounds in his check-in bag that he seemed genuinely to have overlooked before leaving home.   

I know a number of people who are keen shooters at home who self-discovered they were travelling with live ammo. It is surprisingly easy to do. Usually using a range bag as carryon bag is the problem but not in this case.

11 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

He was charged with illegally possessing ammunition, not with possessing illegal ammunition.  7.65mm is what is normally referred to as .32 caliber pistol ammunition.  This is legal ammunition in Thailand but you need a Por 4 permit for a .32 pistol to possess it legally.  

And how do you explain the magazine????

The rest of the "hardware" must be somewhere. 

4 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I know a number of people who are keen shooters at home who self-discovered they were travelling with live ammo. It is surprisingly easy to do. Usually using a range bag as carryon bag is the problem but not in this case.

Only a idiot would take any regular range gear to the airport.

One random swab, and you are up for a full bag and body search, and a lot of questions to answer, and who knows what agency your name may be forwarded to.

Edited by NamKangMan

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

Only a idiot would take any regular range gear to the airport.

One random swab, and you are up for a full bag and body search, and a lot of questions to answer, and who knows what agency your name may be forwarded to.

I totally agree but trust me it happens.  One guy tipped out his bag in USA and a few 38Super rounds fell out.  Another was discovered with a loaded Glock mag in a side pocket of his carry on bag.  Stupid but true.  And I know of other cases.........  Duh.  Lucky Singapore and a few other countries were not involved.

7 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I totally agree but trust me it happens.  One guy tipped out his bag in USA and a few 38Super rounds fell out.  Another was discovered with a loaded Glock mag in a side pocket of his carry on bag.  Stupid but true.  And I know of other cases.........  Duh.  Lucky Singapore and a few other countries were not involved.

I don't doubt it happens, but people who do not take gun power residue into consideration, not to mention live ammunition, magazines etc, before flying, deserve everything they get. 

Trouble is, they hold the queue / flight up for the rest of us. 

They would probably have the same stupid look on their face if the searcher pulled out 1kg of white power. 

That said, when I read the headline I did cast a thought to the "bullet in the bag" scam, which is common in

The Philippines.  There were a couple of cases of this here, sometime ago, by seemingly innocent tourists, but it didn't seem to become a prevalent scam, thankfully. 

On 9/10/2017 at 5:16 AM, KarenBravo said:

They don't like each other which is why there was a civil war that was decades long.

The north controls the south, or, at least it did until the world's newest country was created, called South Sudan.

That war is larger than ever and still ongoing, unfortunately...The fight for oil and its prosperity, creates war lords and genocide

Pure speculation based on fiction.

Mohamad, son of Mohamad most likely forgot to empty his tactical bag, Mohamed son of Mohamad must have been playing around with his Dads Mohamad stuff whilst he was packing.  Those rounds were left overs from target practice at live elephants at cousin Mohamads hunting hut in the national park when Mohammad's gun jammed. Just ask Mohamad, Mohammad, Abdul, Mohamad, he knows. 

Just kidding,  Mohamads not going to tell you that, at all he's on his way to training camps in the deep south.

Scary!!!

On 10/09/2017 at 5:16 AM, KarenBravo said:

But they would all be good Muslims wouldn't they?    Buddies from the religion of peace, with just a slight disagreement over Mohammad's correct line of succession?

43 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

But they would all be good Muslims wouldn't they?    Buddies from the religion of peace, with just a slight disagreement over Mohammad's correct line of succession?

No, the south of the country is mainly Christian, or animist.

Edited by KarenBravo

And what about the gun? The guy had only ammo and not a gun so it also could have been just a careless mistake?

Under the current hate climate, obviously his name would not help his case!

Let's keep in mind that gun possession laws in many countries (including a few in Europe) are lenient or non existent.