Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

She added that she was not concerned about accidents as she keeps to the side of the road.

any odds she will make it with that attitude ? as an avid cyclist here for years and years, many roads have no shoulders or they are so dirty and mushed over with weeds as to be unusable;

thai drivers believe bicyclists are second to last on the road priority totem pole , barely ahead of pedestrians and behind motorcy;

if they can get to their destination 10 seconds faster , they Will knock you off the road and they wont even look back

Got some mates who regularly ride their bikes - one is in Europe now with a group riding behind some Tour De (insert country).  All of them know that they would never ride their bikes on the roads in Thailand (or any SEAsian country - maybe Singapore). It came up once on one of my return visits, and they already knew the stories. This girl is taking a big risk, but I wish her well and hope it works out all good.

Got some mates who regularly ride their bikes - one is in Europe now with a group riding behind some Tour De (insert country).  All of them know that they would never ride their bikes on the roads in Thailand (or any SEAsian country - maybe Singapore). It came up once on one of my return visits, and they already knew the stories. This girl is taking a big risk, but I wish her well and hope it works out all good.  

IMO riding in Singapore is more dangerous than Thailand. I've done both. In Singapore the traffic density is more of a problem, and whereas in Thailand the car drivers are careless and low skill in Singapore they are overtly hostile. Thailand is really not that bad for cyclists once you learn the habits of the motor vehicle drivers.

Because Alex, 21, says she always keeps to the edge of the road.

That's not a lot of help when Thais have no respect for the edge, centre or any other part of the road.
I use a bike daily & it's a lottery to get where I'm going & still be alive..

When you get to junctions, traffic lights or even passing the opening to a junction... good luck

you're way down the pecking order of who goes first or who has right of way.. you come last !!!

Hope she's got adequate insurance !!

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Absolutely correct. People here don't seem to be able to see beyond their barstool.

I especially love the judgment from the guys who have no problem arguing with a yaba crazed cabbie over the meter, getting up into the faces of bouncers over a nominally padded bill, riding their scooter home from a bender before dawn, and sticking their winkie into a hooker with double digit percentage odds of being HIV positive.

5 hours ago, HooHaa said:

im amazed at the HUGE number of negative responses here from people who do not cycle, never have cycled, or more simply put inhabit the sofa without any exercise whatsoever.

good for her i say.

i hope she enjoys the ride.

They would cycle, if the saddle was large and round, for that huge ass, and they could play connect four on the handlebars.

5 hours ago, HooHaa said:

excellent news, guess i wont be bumping into on one of my daily rides. 

there are those of us who do things, there are those of us who talk about all the things they wont do.

personally id rather risk it than sit at home waiting to die.

They live in fear, but are happy to slowly drink themselves to death. Some of the expats you see in Tesco, hardly a day over 50, but move like an 80 year old. Trolly packed with cookies and soda, meat and frozen fries.

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

I have to call BS on that. You were never physically fit and that is why you have such resentment towards young people who are out there living their lives. But I'm happy for you that you're happy I'm sure that will work out well until you're "lady" cuts off your penis while you're sleeping.

I'll call BS on your post in the way you 'write off' old guys. Many older guys that you put down have been places and done things that many of your generation can't even imagine.

In my twenty's I was so unfit in the army when I, and quite a few others, could abseil down the outside of a building or out of a helicopter and then do a few kilometres with full kit we had to stop for a break and a quick cigarette and a brew.

I love the way the younger generation believe, as you obviously do, that you/they invented adventure and excitement.

You are only doing things that have been done before, the diffrence being that nowadays if something goes wrong you will put the blame on someone else.

Anyway it will all become clear to you when you get older, unless you put your faith in the people who are supplying the zip wires, the paragliders or the ropes etc you use.

If you can't check the gear yourself with the knowledge of how to check it and just believe the supplier then that's up to you.

Best of luck in your adventures.

Hope you make it to old age.

Not all the old guys are in danger of having the chop job. 

PS

Why does every generation think they invented oral sex??

??

Edited by overherebc

12 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

As cyclist, it is better to drive on the wrong side of the road, you'll see what's going to happen.

I agree Peter. I always walk or ride my bike on the right as I want to see what's coming at me. And my bike has a mirror so I can keep a look out for other wrong way drivers. Never had any problems.

Edge of the road is safe!!! That's where a lot of rubbish collects and the surface is often not even. Avoiding that could result in a tumble or worse, getting in the path of a another vehicle. Thailand roads are not safe, whatever part of them you travel.

20 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

So many cyclists are killed here it is quite remarkable. She is incredibly naive and stupid if she is not worried. Killing people on the roads is one of the areas where Thailand truly excels. 

Two British cyclist killed on the Thai leg of their round the world trip: http://www.samuitimes.com/two-british-cyclist-killed-thai-leg-round-world-trip/

Australian cyclist killed in Ayutthaya: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30317539

AROUND THE WORLD CYCLIST KILLED IN THAILAND: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/02/around-the-world-cyclist-killed-in-thailand/

Etc.

RE - So many cyclists are killed here it is quite remarkable. She is incredibly naive and stupid if she is not worried.

At some point they all get worried, but then its usually too late...

15 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - So many cyclists are killed here it is quite remarkable. She is incredibly naive and stupid if she is not worried.

thailand is not short on stupid, naive tourists; one of the most dangerous tourist countries in the world

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/thailand/articles/Thailand-most-dangerous-tourist-destination-claims-book/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317678 (thailand is number 118 for tourist safety; this report is relatively current)

one poster on a seemingly credible forum : "Getting involved with the Thai police is indeed dangerous. I wouldn't even call them law enforcement, they're simply a mafia/business group with police powers. "

==>not exactly a fallback for tourists

Around-the-world cyclists frequently pass through Chiang Mai and not many of them run into problems other than sometimes needing repairs or maintenance.

I hope She has a Safe Journey,those Touring Riders are so pleasant compared to the Lycra Clowns i seem to get behind as they race 4 abreast down round here.[emoji572]️[emoji468]?‍♀️[emoji1566][emoji467]?‍♀️[emoji1565]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I hope She has a Safe Journey,those Touring Riders are so pleasant compared to the Lycra Clowns i seem to get behind as they race 4 abreast down round here.[emoji572]️[emoji468]?‍♀️[emoji1566][emoji467]?‍♀️[emoji1565]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Cycling is an unusual sport in that hatred of cyclists is very widespread among nonparticipants. Ever notice how much more offensive it is when cyclists wear lucrative than when runners do? Or how much more angry you get when a carbon-fibre bicycle blocks the road than when a street cart being pulled along as a motorcycle sidecar does?