Round the world UK cyclist, 21, is not worried about accidents in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

I love the way the younger generation believe, as you obviously do, that you/they invented adventure and excitement.

You are only doing things that have been done before, the diffrence being that nowadays if something goes wrong you will put the blame on someone else.

You're forgetting that the adventure tourism of today is just repackaged fun crap that we made up as we went along.  Because there was no interweb to tell us what to expect, we just did the best we could when we got there.  Had to find what we needed locally instead of showing up with a reservation on our phone, expecting someone to fit us out from their extensive selection of rental equipment...

Sometimes, it worked a treat.  Other times, it was a disaster.  But that was the "adventure" part.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK everyone - I have read all the posts and I do wish this girl the best of luck in her journey around Thailand.

Much has been said about the standard of driving here which is pretty poor.

HOWEVER - I ride a pushbike all the time here in Phuket, my first and most serious accident was when a HUGE man stepped off the pavement as I was doing a left turn and I came of my bike seriously injuring my right arm.  HE remained standing, he seemed totally unaware of the traffic driving on the left side of the road instead of the right which happens in his own country.

So it is not just other motorised vehicle she has to be aware of but gormless tourists as well.

Cycling is an unusual sport in that hatred of cyclists is very widespread among nonparticipants. Ever notice how much more offensive it is when cyclists wear lucrative than when runners do? Or how much more angry you get when a carbon-fibre bicycle blocks the road than when a street cart being pulled along as a motorcycle sidecar does?

Thats fair comment, but the Cart is on the Road to Feed a Family here, not a playground for Show Offs.As an avid Ex Falcon rider, im not impressed by the New Gen look at me types.Durian Rider is a prime Yob Type example...?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

she is not worried about having an accident in the kingdom.

o let's see, if you added up all the years that we expats have lived here full time and we all say 'be careful out there'  versus a first-time tourist, i know who i would bet on

56 minutes ago, impulse said:

You're forgetting that the adventure tourism of today is just repackaged fun crap that we made up as we went along.  Because there was no interweb to tell us what to expect, we just did the best we could when we got there.  Had to find what we needed locally instead of showing up with a reservation on our phone, expecting someone to fit us out from their extensive selection of rental equipment...

Sometimes, it worked a treat.  Other times, it was a disaster.  But that was the "adventure" part.

Seen a couple of broken legs and a few broken ankles and no-one looked around for someone to blame.

As far as the girl cycling around Asia, I hope she makes it ok but I think she is being a bit silly in her thinking. In other places if she gets knocked off the bike it's much more likely the driver will stop and help, in Asia it's much more likely the driver, he/she, will flee the scene and leave her where she is.  

58 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

o let's see, if you added up all the years that we expats have lived here full time and we all say 'be careful out there'  versus a first-time tourist, i know who i would bet on

But wouldn't that mean that the expats do survive long enough to become old timers?

Be careful, sure.  But keep in mind that 99% of us survive every year (with most foreigner deaths being from running out of years), and probably 99.99% of the 2 week tourists.

Of course, she could always sit home and play checkers.  That's a lot safer.

Never mind Thailand. A hundred cyclists were killed and more than 18,000 injured on Britain's roads in a year, according to RoSPA.  They reckon the real accident figures are much higher because many minor mishaps are not reported.

There don't seem to be any  reliable figures for Thailand, but driving standards are definitely lower here and in her homeland you don't get cars and motorbikes driving at you on the wrong side of the road, which is a commonplace hazard here.

I trust she is aware of the high incidence of sexual assault and robberies against women in Thailand and that travelling alone and presumably carrying her passport, money and credit cards makes her an obvious target. Hopefully, she has something in those side-packs to deter unwanted attention.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:41 AM, Pattaya28 said:

Wonder if she heard about the South American that covered every country in the world, Thailand was the last port of call, and was killed by a drunk driving a pick-up.

Yes  ! That was tragic...On the roads or on the street heavy metal wins over bones and flesh. A drunk driver..millions driving around .When  that rolling bomb has your number on it there little to hope for.I don't drive anymore...due to old age and  I don't miss it.

20 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Though staying to the edge of road is all that she is quoted as saying in the article, that may not be the entirety of her strategy.

You think, maybe, that she has a 10 yard invisible protective shield? . . . No, she'd have mentioned it :smile:

5 hours ago, jim cortesos said:

Yes  ! That was tragic...On the roads or on the street heavy metal wins over bones and flesh. A drunk driver..millions driving around .When  that rolling bomb has your number on it there little to hope for.I don't drive anymore...due to old age and  I don't miss it.

SWMBO used to cycle a lot when living overseas. On return we brought back her bike, a nice Gary Fisher model.

After a few months here it has been in the garage un-used.

If anyone wants it for a few thousand baht PM me. For sure she will never use it after seeing 4 or 5 locals on the road ( luckily no-one died) when someone cut the corner and hit them head on.

19 minutes ago, Ossy said:

You think, maybe, that she has a 10 yard invisible protective shield? . . . No, she'd have mentioned it :smile:

Rocket-based ejection seat with self-inflating landing pod. Rear view mirrors would be a very unrealistic, "far out" adjunct to the ejection seat. :biggrin:

Edited by MaxYakov

39 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

It's pretty funny how outraged all the sexpats are over this girl cycling through Thailand. How dare she.

Maybe you missed this last sentence in the article:

"Thaivisa notes that a round the world cyclist on the Thai roads last year was wiped out by a large truck on the Friendship Highway."

Was that the result of "outrage" on the part of Thaivisa?

Or maybe you missed this tragedy that killed two - probably at the "edge of the road":

Two Cyclists Killed on Thai Leg of Round the World Tour - Samui Times

Or Juan Francisco Guillermo who had a wife and two-year old son with him, probably at the "edge of the road":

Chilean Tour Cyclist Killed By a Pickup Truck in Korat - The Guardian.

And that's just for starters in Thailand.

I previously made my position quite clear on this very thread HERE [link]. Perhaps you missed it in your haste?

One question, though? What's your secret for spotting "sexpats" on this forum?

Edited by MaxYakov

Maybe you missed this last sentence in the article:

"Thaivisa notes that a round the world cyclist on the Thai roads last year was wiped out by a large truck on the Friendship Highway."

Was that the result of "outrage" on the part of Thaivisa?

Or maybe you missed this tragedy that killed two - probably at the "edge of the road":

Two Cyclists Killed on Thai Leg of Round the World Tour - Samui Times

Or Juan Francisco Guillermo who had a wife and two-year old son with him, probably at the "edge of the road":

Chilean Tour Cyclist Killed By a Pickup Truck in Korat - The Guardian.

And that's just for starters in Thailand.

One question, though? What's your secret for spotting "sexpats" on this forum?

And maybe the problem is that you're a degenerate who resents young people who are out there living their life.

41 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

It's pretty funny how outraged all the sexpats are over this girl cycling through Thailand. How dare she.

Nothing funny at all - just voicing concerns about reality! Perhaps a reality check needed for you also? :whistling:

49 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Your not the brightest bulb, are you. Maybe she's smart enough to not religiously stay on the edge of the road when there are hazards there.

Like more cyclists with punctures, etc . . . silly not to think of that.

43 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Nice to see you are back on form trying to insult everyone here. Apparently we are all pussified, fat slobs. Hypocrites, with hooker girlfriends, and degenerates living on bar stools. All that is being said in this thread in general is that the roads here are dangerous and that we are worried for her.  If you'd stop insulting other members who you know nothing about maybe you would see that.

On 11/09/2017 at 4:25 AM, darksidedog said:

You would only need to worry if the country had any rapists, thieves or murderers running about, or dangerous and reckless drivers on the roads. I hope she has some lucky amulets on her handlebars.

Fortunately she is not in Liverpool!

13 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

And maybe the problem is that you're a degenerate who resents young people who are out there living their life.

If this is your only response to an post presenting unbiased facts then you are poorly positioned for any intelligent and knowledgable debate on this subject - I'm left with little doubt as to who the degenerate really is. 

23 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

You got that wrong. I'm just a degenerate who wants to see the young live at least beyond the ripe old age of 21. :biggrin:

My position on sharing the road with high-speed motor vehicles ignores any cyclist-specific aspects. It involves mostly common sense (which, BTW, the cities of Copenhagen and Amsterdam and several others have successfully dealt with) and can be found HERE [link].

Edited by MaxYakov

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If this is your only response to an post presenting unbiased facts then you are poorly positioned for any intelligent and knowledgable debate on this subject - I'm left with little doubt as to who the degenerate really is. 

I tend to agree, as much as I try to avoid taking sides. You've gotta be so careful not to offend some folk.

31 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

You got that wrong. I'm just a degenerate who wants to see the young live at least beyond the ripe old age of 21. :biggrin:

My position on sharing the road with high-speed motor vehicles ignores any cyclist-specific aspects. It involves mostly common sense (which, BTW, the cities of Copenhagen and Amsterdam and several others have successfully dealt with) and can be found HERE [link].

Well said . . . a more than fair response to a post that can only be described as unfriendly, at best.