Which Thai mobile network has the cheapest data package?

simon43

I cant see this 30 day 450B offer anywhere on their website. Does the package have a specific name?

Thai websites seem to go out of their way to make information hard to find.
I've not seen it on their website, either go to one of their shops or call or
ติดสปีดเน็ตไม่อั้น ดูยูทูปชัดแรงทั้งเดือน! เลือกเลย เน็ต1Mbps 300บ. สมัคร*777*7153# หรืออัพเน็ตแรงตั้ง4Mbps ก็แค่450บ. สมัคร*777*7155#

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've not seen it on their website, either go to one of their shops or call

Thanks. I'm not blaming you but it really p*sses me off to have to go into a shop and talk to someone about a non-physical product. So irritating and pointless.

At least DTAC provides online information about their (more or less) equivalent offer for 500B/month, and allows you to order it online.

I recently wanted to get 7 days of data on my True SIM and for that I also had to go into a shop to get a suitable package which also was not mentioned anywhere on True's website. This is one reason why I am considering switching from True, and at the moment DTAC seems the most attractive provider due to their website being more complete and entirely in English.

Thanks. I'm not blaming you but it really p*sses me off to have to go into a shop and talk to someone about a non-physical product. So irritating and pointless.

At least DTAC provides online information about their (more or less) equivalent offer for 500B/month, and allows you to order it online.

I recently wanted to get 7 days of data on my True SIM and for that I also had to go into a shop to get a suitable package which also was not mentioned anywhere on True's website. This is one reason why I am considering switching from True, and at the moment DTAC seems the most attractive provider due to their website being more complete and entirely in English.
Yes but in Thailand we have time so not a problem for me

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, the speed is doubled to 8Mbs until the date mentioned. A fairly pointless promo I think but the underlying offer is quite good.

Give me the benefit of your wisdom by letting me know why you think it is a "pointless promo"?

Clearly I don't think so, since I subscribed on the back of it.

AIS sometimes runs a triple data promo to encourage people to buy . I know people who wait for that promo. Here it is DTAC with  double speed.for up to eight weeks.

So why pointless?

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've not seen it on their website, either go to one of their shops or call or
ติดสปีดเน็ตไม่อั้น ดูยูทูปชัดแรงทั้งเดือน! เลือกเลย เน็ต1Mbps 300บ. สมัคร*777*7153# หรืออัพเน็ตแรงตั้ง4Mbps ก็แค่450บ. สมัคร*777*7155#

It' is on their website,  Took me twenty seconds to find it and copy the link here.

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, the speed is doubled to 8Mbs until the date mentioned. A fairly pointless promo I think but the underlying offer is quite good.

Still more expensive than AIS for nothing more. 4mbps is 4mbps

You've not been paying attention, have you? :wink:

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

As, above , DTAC, AIS and True are all the same price for the 1 and 4 Mbps packages. 320/1 & 481.50 baht per thirty days. But DTAC gives you 2 or 8 Mbps for up to eight weeks.

DTAC's next package up is 10 Mbps , currently doubled to 20 Mbps.

AIS's next package up is  6 Mbps.

The networks are all in competition to get your business.

As, above , DTAC, AIS and True are all the same price for the 1 and 4 Mbps packages. 320/1 & 481.50 baht per thirty days. But DTAC gives you 2 or 8 Mbps for up to eight weeks.

DTAC's next package up is 10 Mbps , currently doubled to 20 Mbps.
AIS's next package up is  6 Mbps.

The networks are all in competition to get your business.

Your link further up shows DTAC 4mbps at 649 baht for 30 days and mentions 12 months long (not sure if that's a contract), AIS is 450 baht +VAT. How is that the same?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Your link further up shows DTAC 4mbps at 649 baht for 30 days and mentions 12 months long (not sure if that's a contract), AIS is 450 baht +VAT. How is that the same?

You are too hasty my friend. :smile:

There are two links in that post. You somehow missed the first link; data only and managed to click on the second link; data and calls.

Take another look.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Give me the benefit of your wisdom by letting me know why you think it is a "pointless promo"?

What real benefit would anyone actually get from increasing their data speed from 4Mbs to 8Mbs for just six weeks? Anyone who actually needs the higher speed would probably need it all the time and so having it for six weeks would indeed be pointless.

Personally I would go for the 4Mbs package because the 1Mbs package might be unsuitable for streaming TV which I sometimes do when travelling. But I would have no use at all for increasing the 4Mbs to 8Mbs either permanently or temporarily.

Seems that I was also too hasty to post without checking.

DTAC's 4 Mbps is actually 500 baht + VAT.

It's their 1 Mbps package that is priced the same.

Though in DTAC's defence, on the 20 Mbps package that I am on I get a solid 3 to 4 Mbps upload speed, where as AIS's upload speed is totally worthless.

So dependent on whether you need to upload, DTAC might be the better choice anyway. Certainly is now for me with the double speed promo.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

What real benefit would anyone actually get from increasing their data speed from 4Mbs to 8Mbs for just six weeks? Anyone who actually needs the higher speed would probably need it all the time and so having it for six weeks would indeed be pointless.

Personally I would go for the 4Mbs package because the 1Mbs package might be unsuitable for streaming TV which I sometimes do when travelling. But I would have no use at all for increasing the 4Mbs to 8Mbs either permanently or temporarily.

It's eight weeks.

I've noticed that my streaming has improved further, my upload speeds have more than quadrupled, as compared to AIS and off course my downloads are much faster.

So those are some benefits.

Of course it might encourage to take the 10 Mbps plan at the end of it., if I feel that I want to keep those benefits.

When AIS's triple data is used up, one doesn't complain that they don't offer triple data all of the time.

Before you interject, I think that you have misunderstood the promo.

It is for a certain amount of cycles, as long as you join before December the 23rd.

I took a weekly package that will give me the double speed boost for eight cycles.

So if I subscribed on the 22nd of December, I would get the double speed for the eight cycles.

I don't know how many cycles are offered for the monthly package.

A good offer I think.

It was in the T&C;

1. Special promotion during 1 November – 23 December 2017, get double speed internet 24 hours for daily packages, 8 weeks for weekly packages and 2 months for monthly packages. Promotional packages include
    1. Unlimited Internet 1 Mbps get double speed 2 Mbps
    2. Unlimited Internet 4 Mbps get double speed 8 Mbps
    3. Unlimited Internet 10 Mbps get double speed 20 Mbps
  2. Customers applying to weekly and monthly “Unlimited Internet with No Speed Drop Promotion” are entitled to dtac Music Infinite for free music streaming without internet usage calculation at dtac Music Infinite application or USSD: *699# for Thai and *699*9# for English (free of charge) and also free unlimited usage of dtac Music Infinite application and other participating music applications. In case of package expiry or cancelation, customers will be charged on internet according to currently held package. Customers can reapply to the above package and resume the use of participating music application without reapplication

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyway after all this hastiness I'm happy with the AIS 4mbps 450+vat, great backup option for my tv box

If it does what you need, why pay more?

I used AIS 4 Mbps up until I discovered the DTAC promo and I've seen an improvement to my TV box streaming. So I'm taking advantage whilst it lasts.

I also download large files, so the extra speed comes in handy.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Before you interject, I think that you have misunderstood the promo.

It is for a certain amount of cycles, as long as you join before December the 23rd.

I took a weekly package that will give me the double speed boost for eight cycles.

So if I subscribed on the 22nd of December, I would get the double speed for the eight cycles.

I don't know how many cycles are offered for the monthly package.

That's very unclear from their website, but that's nothing new for Thailand.

Anyway, for me it is pointless. If I needed more than 4Mbs at all then I would need it permanently, not just for x weeks. But I dont need it at all.

3 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

It' is on their website,  Took me twenty seconds to find it and copy the link here.

It is indeed on their site though it is quite well hidden. To find it you have to scroll the pane to the right using an arrow which the 1Mbs pane above it doesnt have, as it only has two options. And having scrolled to the right the left-hand option disappears and cant be returned to.

Why they cant just make the panels smaller so that they all fit in one pane is a complete mystery to me. Or, better still, just have a list instead of panels. So much clearer and simpler.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That's very unclear from their website, but that's nothing new for Thailand.

Anyway, for me it is pointless. If I needed more than 4Mbs at all then I would need it permanently, not just for x weeks. But I dont need it at all.

You are very fixed in your thinking.

As I wrote before, I too used AIS 4 Mbps for streaming and with some channels and media I would suffer some buffering and even stopping.

With the DTAC package, that has all gone away.

In addition instead of just streaming, i have the option to download a play media, without having to wait ages.

That is one viewpoint point.

Another point is that not everyone lives in Thailand, so a promo running for a month or two can be very useful to many.

So to make a blanket statement of "pointless promo" is to have not thought it through.

Pointless for your particular usage pattern maybe. But you are but one person.

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It is indeed on their site though it is quite well hidden. To find it you have to scroll the pane to the right using an arrow which the 1Mbs pane above it doesnt have, as it only has two options. And having scrolled to the right the left-hand option disappears and cant be returned to.

Why they cant just make the panels smaller so that they all fit in one pane is a complete mystery to me. Or, better still, just have a list instead of panels. So much clearer and simpler.

It might depend on the size of your screen. On a larger screen all the panels appear.

I'm beginning to think that you are a grumpy old man :smile:

Cheer up mate, life is good. :partytime2:

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

It might depend on the size of your screen. On a larger screen all the panels appear.

No, I am viewing on a 24in PC monitor. The left arrow simply doesnt exist for me and there is no way that more than two panels can appear in the pane. In responsive browser mode it's an even bigger mess so presumably it is just down to poor CSS and design.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Looking further on their site I found more packages that are probably of more interest to more people as they renew automatically:

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/internet4g_continued.html

This page also offers many different speeds and prices.

The DTAC packages also renew automatically, it you want it to do so.

Didn't you note the 7 day packages under my original link?

8 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

As I wrote before, I too used AIS 4 Mbps for streaming and with some channels and media I would suffer some buffering and even stopping.

With the DTAC package, that has all gone away.

That's a valid comment but to me it only indicates that the AIS service may be poor in your area, and that DTAC may be better in your area.

I used the True 4Mbs data package recently and that worked perfectly for streaming international TV and for Spotify in my car. So I would hope that any 4Mbs service from any provider would be as good.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No, I am viewing on a 24in PC monitor. The left arrow simply doesnt exist for me and there is no way that more than two panels can appear in the pane. In responsive browser mode it's an even bigger mess so presumably it is just down to poor CSS and design.

Everything works for me.

Yes, you can use the arrow to move the panels, but you can also move the panels manually, as if you were using a touchscreen.

So just click and swipe them back and forth.

The is also an arrow on the other side of the page in order to make more space for the panels. :smile:

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

The DTAC packages also renew automatically, it you want it to do so.

I know. That was one of the attractions of it for me.

I think that basically both providers (DTAC and AIS) offer something very similar on paper for between 450-500B (plus VAT), so probably the next questions should be:

1. How well do they work in practice?

2. How good is the regional coverage?

3. What sort of switching offers do they have?

Archived