Which Thai mobile network has the cheapest data package?

simon43

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That's a valid comment but to me it only indicates that the AIS service may be poor in your area, and that DTAC may be better in your area.

I used the True 4Mbs data package recently and that worked perfectly for streaming international TV and for Spotify in my car. So I would hope that any 4Mbs service from any provider would be as good.

Nope, it doesn't indicate that. I had a solid throughput via AIS. 4 Mbps and almost nothing up. Did what it said on the tin.

But some material requires more than a 4 Mbps bandwidth. Spotify and low SD media don't count. Saying that, some FilmOn channels would stop loading on the 4 Mbps AIS connection. No such issues with this 20 Mbps connection.

So I had to be careful with the media that I chose to view. Now I can watch media with a much higher bitrate.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Everything works for me.

Yes, you can use the arrow to move the panels, but you can also move the panels manually, as if you were using a touchscreen.

So just click and swipe them back and forth.

The is also an arrow on the other side of the page in order to make more space for the panels.

Regardless of how I resize the menu pane the right-hand pane still only shows two panels and one right-hand arrow. The left-hand arrow never appears.

Click and swipe works erratically, but why should anyone need or want to do that on a desktop device anyway? For me this is just poor a design made by people obsessed with touchscreen devices. Still, they arent alone in that.

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

Nope, it doesn't indicate that. I had a solid throughput via AIS. 4 Mbps and almost nothing up. Did what it said on the tin.

But some material requires more than a 4 Mbps bandwidth.

Then why were you trying to use a 4Mbs package for that? And how can one 4Mbs package be better than another, unless one of them is not performing to spec? If you need 4Mbs, get 4Mbs. If you need double, get double.

I know that 4Mbs is enough for everything that I want to do, assuming that I get what the spec describes, and so both AIS and DTAC should be suitable (apart from possible geographical coverage issues).

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I know. That was one of the attractions of it for me.

I think that basically both providers (DTAC and AIS) offer something very similar on paper for between 450-500B (plus VAT), so probably the next questions should be:

1. How well do they work in practice?

2. How good is the regional coverage?

3. What sort of switching offers do they have?

I used DTAC in the past, Their Internet was usually the most stable, with AIS second and True trailing.

Then when I needed huge amounts of data, I moved to AIS.

Now because of this new DTAC promo, I have moved back to DTAC to give them another go. 

So far, so good.

Switching offers?? We are talking Prepaid here.

If you are referring to Postpaid, you'll need to take a look for yourself. I'm just a tourist. :smile:

Just now, KneeDeep said:

Switching offers?? We are talking Prepaid here.

I live here and I would want to switch my Thai number to the new provider rather than have three SIMs. Most providers here offer some sort of switching promo, some of which are quite generous, even for prepaid switching.

4 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

True trailing.

True 4Mbs worked just fine for me recently for a week. No problems at all.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Then why were you trying to use a 4Mbs package for that? And how can one 4Mbs package be better than another, unless one of them is not performing to spec? If you need 4Mbs, get 4Mbs. If you need double, get double.

I know that 4Mbs is enough for everything that I want to do, assuming that I get what the spec describes, and so both AIS and DTAC should be suitable (apart from possible geographical coverage issues).

I think that you are confusing yourself.

I originally purchased the AIS 4 Mbps package as I thought it would be adequate for my use on holiday. For the most part it was fine. Some buffering and one or two channels stopped loading.

When I was the DTAC promo, I though I would see how their 8 Mbps offering would work for me.

But in the end decided to go for the 10 Mbps offering to see how it went.

I have no idea why you have got the comparing of 4 Mbps services in your head.

I am no longer using a 4 Mbps service, but a 20 Mbps service.

So from where are you coming and where are you going?

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

I have no idea why you have got the comparing of 4 Mbps services in your head.

Because that is what I am interested in. If I wanted or needed more than 4Mbs then I would be looking for something faster. But I dont, so I'm not looking for it and not interested in it. I do know that I need more than 1Mbs though, so I'm not looking at those slower packages either.

What I dont understand is why you bothered with a 4Mbs service in the first place when clearly you needed more. I would not do that. Still, that's your business.

I live here and I would want to switch my Thai number to the new provider rather than have three SIMs. Most providers here offer some sort of switching promo, some of which are quite generous, even for prepaid switching.

True 4Mbs worked just fine for me recently for a week. No problems at all.

You don't need to switch. If you are happy with True, stick with True.

If 4 Mbps does everything that you need it to do, my post was not for you.

It's just for those who would like to try the faster speeds without paying a premium.

For my application, it is most useful.

But if you aren't streaming and/or downloading Full HD and 4k material, perhaps of no interest to you.

I only posted the info for those who might find it of interest.

I already had the SIMs, so it was just a matter of topping up and applying.

Because that is what I am interested in. If I wanted or needed more than 4Mbs then I would be looking for something faster. But I dont, so I'm not looking for it and not interested in it. I do know that I need more than 1Mbs though, so I'm not looking at those slower packages either.

What I dont understand is why you bothered with a 4Mbs service in the first place when clearly you needed more. I would not do that. Still, that's your business.

I already explained it.

But if you did not get it, I will do so again.

First of all AIS had only 4 Mbps or full speed unlimited. One priced at 481.50 and the other at 1605 baht.

I didn't want to pay 1605 baht. 

Got that?

They did introduce a 6 Mbps product, but hardly any difference there.

Secondly, it was for streaming in the main and for the most part, it was adequate.

Got that?

Thirdly, the DTAC promo allowed me to test product at a higher speed than offered by AIS, 8 Mbps, for only 54 baht more over 30 days.

Looked good to me, but then I decided to go all the way, with the 20 Mbps test.

More clear now? 

Otherwise I don't know what it would take for you to understand why I chose the 4 Mbps package in the first place.

Between what is claimed on a paper and what reality yields can be a abyssal difference.

Perhaps coverage and speed seems to depend more on the area rather then the operator ?

Best is to try out different operators (at a cost naturally) and chose the one that works best in the zone of use.

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

You don't need to switch. If you are happy with True, stick with True.

True is not ideal for a data package because they charge quite a lot more for a 4Mbs monthly package than the other two providers mentioned. Ergo I am thinking of switching.

However, apart from the cost the service from True was fine.

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I already explained it.

But if you did not get it, I will do so again.

No need. You did it because you didn't know what you wanted/needed. That's fine, but unlike you I do know exactly what I want. It's just a question of finding it at the right price.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

No need. You did it because you didn't know what you wanted/needed. That's fine, but unlike you I do know exactly what I want. It's just a question of finding it at the right price.

No, you got it wrong again.

I chose it because I wanted unlimited data for streaming, but did not want to pay 1605 baht for full bandwidth.

Pay attention man! :smile:

The DTAC promo suits me better. 

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

True is not ideal for a data package because they charge quite a lot more for a 4Mbs monthly package than the other two providers mentioned. Ergo I am thinking of switching.

No, True charge the same as DTAC for their 4 Mbps package; 500 baht + VAT.

*900*1704#

They also have a 6 Mbps package for 550 + VAT *900*1746#

I chose it because I wanted unlimited data for streaming, but did not want to pay 1605 baht for full bandwidth.
Pay attention man! [emoji2]

That's weird you've morphed from kneedeep to greytman, your posts did show similarities. I didn't think multiple board names were allowed

5 hours ago, GreytMan said:

No, True charge the same as DTAC for their 4 Mbps package; 500 baht + VAT.

Maybe someone should tell their staff about it! And put it on their website in English.

One other reason why I would not object to leaving True, who are definitely the worst I know of when it comes to publishing information in English.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, GreytMan said:

Pay attention man! emoji2.png

That's weird you've morphed from kneedeep to greytman, your posts did show similarities. I didn't think multiple board names were allowed

?? 

I guess in your mind, only one person following this thread signed up for the DTAC promo.

Besides that, I thought curtain twitching was a pastime for old grannies.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Maybe someone should tell their staff about it! And put it on their website in English.

One other reason why I would not object to leaving True, who are definitely the worst I know of when it comes to publishing information in English.

It is a bit of a mish mash. They still advertise at 450 + VAT, but when you click through you are told it is a different price, according to some.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/promotion&activity_en.html

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

How much did you pay for the True package? I see they have it for 450 + VAT on their pages.

Haven't tried it myself.

True.JPG

26 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

How much did you pay for the True package? I see they have it for 450 + VAT on their pages.

I actually just took a 7-day package at 4Mbs for which I was charged 200B + VAT. That was a few weeks ago and I didnt need a longer duration at that time. However I did ask about one month and was told "you can do 4 weeks one after the other", which of course would come to 800B+VAT or more for an entire month and would also require me to remember to re-apply every week as those offers dont auto-renew. So I wasnt very impressed with that.

But now it seems that my 200B+VAT 7-day package has dropped to 150B+VAT.

One other thing that I didnt like about it was that 7 days isnt actually 7 complete days as the package expires at 23.59 on the seventh day regardless of what time you start it on the first day. So potentially you could only get 6 days and a couple of hours.

All that aside, the technical quality was fine every time I used it. It also worked fine with Spotify when driving around.

2 hours ago, GreytMan said:

It is a bit of a mish mash. They still advertise at 450 + VAT, but when you click through you are told it is a different price, according to some.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/promotion&activity_en.html

Yes, very confusing.

This page has other packages and prices, all in Thai.

http://truemoveh-internet.com/โปรใหม่ทรูมูฟเอชเล่นเน็ตแรงมาก-ความเร็วถึง-4-mbps-ใช้แบบไม่จำกัด/

9 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That page is not from True.

It is just a page that someone else has set up. 

They get commissions if you join using their suffix. In this case; *900*1704*17405380#

Though the page may be useful in the way that it suggests that usage of Truemove H's Hotspots are included in the 500 baht + VAT package.

22 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I actually just took a 7-day package at 4Mbs for which I was charged 200B + VAT. That was a few weeks ago and I didnt need a longer duration at that time. However I did ask about one month and was told "you can do 4 weeks one after the other", which of course would come to 800B+VAT or more for an entire month and would also require me to remember to re-apply every week as those offers dont auto-renew. So I wasnt very impressed with that.

One other thing that I didnt like about it was that 7 days isnt actually 7 complete days as the package expires at 23.59 on the seventh day regardless of what time you start it on the first day. So potentially you could only get 6 days and a couple of hours.

All that aside, the technical quality was fine every time I used it. It also worked fine with Spotify when driving around.

Yes, only True does that expire at 23.59 thing. 

Totally stupid suggestion for them to tell you to apply a weekly package for four weeks when there is already a monthly package.

In addition it should auto-renew for six months, as long as you have enough credit.

Maybe you can splash out the 19 baht or so for a SIM with one of the other networks, after finding out who else is good in your area.

I plumped for the DTAC 4 Mbps double speed deal. I'll probably just activate another SIM before the 23rd is up, so that I'll get it for another couple of months.

535  baht incl. per month for 8 Mbps unlimited is ok for me.

1 hour ago, GreytMan said:

That page is not from True.

It is just a page that someone else has set up. 

They get commissions if you join using their suffix. In this case; *900*1704*17405380#

Interesting. True have so many weird and wonderful domains and subdomains that it's hard to tell what's theirs and what isn't.

Though that page I linked to is actually far better than True's own pages in that it does provide info about all the packages in just one place.

22 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Unfortunately DTAC does the expire at midnight cr*p here too.

So unless you commence the package at one second after midnight, they are stealing time from you. Very poor policy.

Only AIS seems to have an honest policy here.

Shame on DTAC and Truemove.

Is there any really fast monthly package with unlimited data? I would need one for my parents when they visit for 2 months. They watch internet TV and Youtube all the time so it would need to be something as good as WiFi with modem. I had a yearly package from TOT (WiFi/router) in their apartment before but it was't worth it to pay 12 months for that as they stay here only for 2 months.  

Archived